Working Moms
Options

Company changing locations...

So, its not 100% official yet, but my company recently announced that they will be selling off 2 out of 3 sites at our current location and moving the majority to a different location 15ish miles away.  It's not official yet, but rumor says my group will be one of the ones moving to the new site 15ish miles away.. For about half of our group this works great for.. The other half, this will be a nightmare.

I already commute around 110 miles/day, so the additional mileage would mean 140+ each day.  It takes me about an hour and 20 minutes if I leave my house before 630am to get in.. Some days closer to 2 hours depending n traffic.. The additional commute is on another road that is always backed up, so on top of the mileage it would also mean adding significant time to my drive...any PA people.. This means taking 95 to 476 to 76 to 422!! All nightmare roads!!

After baby #2 comes, I was planning to drop down to part time... But, now that they've dropped this move on us, I'm so torn as to what I want to do.  Part time would mean a salary cut, obviously, but id still be paying child care and now my commute costs will likely not change much since im adding more mileage on the days id be driving in.. Moving isn't an option... We have our dream home where we are... And moving to PA, we would never be able to afford something the size or condition of what we have (3000+ sq ft, over an acre of land, less than 7 years old)... 

I had contemplated taking a few years off anyway.. But it makes me SO nervous.  DH says this is a "sign" that I should take the time off.. But, I really was hoping to do the part time instead.  I just feel like if I do part time, financially it would be a wash.. Idk, wwyd?  

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!

Re: Company changing locations...

• Options
    That sucks! I live in PA and my husband does half that commute and we will be moving in another year because of it. That seems like a ton of time to be driving, even if you reduce your hours. Maybe it is a sign? How would you feel about staying home? Pers
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    Well, don't panic yet! Nothing is official. Wait until you get the news and then have a meeting with your supervisor to discuss how difficult the new commute will be and see if the company has thought of any options for people in your situation.
    <
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMamaAllison:
    That sucks! I live in PA and my husband does half that commute and we will be moving in another year because of i
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

• Options

imagethedash:
    Well, don't panic yet! Nothing is official. Wait until you get the news and then have a meeting with your supe

• Options
    imageJulyMomma2U2:

imagethedash:<
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    kmplskmpls member

Can you find a different job? I know it's harder when pregnant and with a new baby but I would not want that commute.

I think long term you should look for something closer to home.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you would have to defer loans and possibly eat into savings then IMO you cannot afford to stay home. You have a long time to look for something else, which is good news. Even if you have to do the commute for a while i would do that. What are job prosp
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options

The savings meaning just money I've put aside over time with the intention of one day being able to take time off, not savings like liquidating 401Ks or other established savings plans.  My DH pays all household bills.  It would just be me pu

• Options

I used to live just off 422 in PA!  I currently have a 35 to 45 minute communte to my 2 work locations, and I feel like that is a lot.  I anticipate moving and changing jobs in the next few years because since I am about to have 3u3, that muc

• Options
    imageJulyMomma2U2:

imageMamaA
  • Options
    I live in PA and used to commute an hour from Bucks County to KOP and I thought that was horrible.  I wouldn't do your commute for any amount of money!  You say you can't move b/c housing is more affordable in NJ, but in my experience the taxes
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    imagejf198400:
    I live in PA and used to commute an hour from Bucks County to KOP and I thought that was horrible.nbsp; I wouldn't do you
  • Options

imagejf198400:
    I live in PA and used to commute an hour from Bucks County to KOP and I thought that was horrible.  I wouldn't

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"