Special Needs
Options

Cortical Visual Impairment question

A dear friend of mine from the NICU just found out that one of her little boys has CVI.  His first birthday is coming up and we are going to buy gifts for the twins but I was wondering if there is something you could recommend that would be a good gift for him.  She said that he gravitates toward different toys than his brother, who does not have CVI and that he will learn differently.  The boys are also preemies and were approximately three months early so they may not be ready for typical one year gifts. 

Any suggestions are welcome! thank you all! 

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Cortical Visual Impairment question

• Options
    One of the biggest issues with children who have a congenital visual impairment is motivating them to move outside their field of vision. So toys with jingle bells and toys that have a variety of textures are good. Bright colors are easier to see. It kind
  • Options

a lot of the leapfrog toys are great for kids with CVI.  The Scout can be programmed to say his name and they're very easy to activate.  

Basically anything easy to activate, has brightly colored lights and sound.  My son also love

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both! I know she will tell me no gifts but I'm getting them something anyway! That's why I was looking for suggestions. These are great!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

If you are crafty, you can make a light box.  This can help him play with "typical" toys.  The children in Lily's therapy group with CVI use them a lot.  Here's a link that tells you how to make one...

<a href="https://pudgeand

image      image      image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"