Baby Showers

How soon is too soon for a baby shower?

I'm 6 weeks today and I know obviously at this stage it's way too early. I've been to a few showers where it was held a month before baby was due but I REALLY want to have mine as soon as I find out the gender of the baby (I went into crazy baby lady mode and already started a baby registry). So I guess my question is, is 4 1/2-5 months too soon for baby shower planning? Does it even matter?

Re: How soon is too soon for a baby shower?

• I think you need to leave this decision up to your shower host, but most showers seem to be held between 28 and 34 weeks.  I would think it would be weird to have one much earlier than 25ish weeks unless there were extenuating circumstances like trav
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Anxious for all that loot, huh? Why wait til you know the gender; just write a cute poem for the invitation that reminds guests to bring a boy gift and a girl gift. That way you're covered.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your hurry will b
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you should ask yourself WHY you want a baby shower so early.  What good is a room full of gifts going to do you when you are barely halfway thru your pregnancy?  Take a breath and get a little bit of perspective.

I was 29 w

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I just don't understand these women who POAS and then say "ZOMG!!!!  Let's start thinking about my baby shower!!" 

So, why are you just dying to have your shower the second you find out whether your child has a penis or vagina? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hate to be Debbie Downer...but personally I would wait to hear my baby's heartbeat before I started registering.  Also, has someone already offered to host your shower in a few months??? Because shower timing is really more up to the hostess tha

Me:32 dx anovulation, unknown reason DH:41
    4 cycles Clomid=No O, 6 total cycles of Femara + Ovidrel
    BFP #1 3/14/12 EDD 11/21/12 MC 3/23/12 5w3d Back to TTC Femara + Ovidrel April/May 2012 
    BFP #2 5/19/12 EDD 1/27/13 No hb @ 7w1d 6/11/12 1st dose cytotec 6/18/12 8w1d 
    RPL panel: MTHFR compound heterozygousStarted folic acid/baby aspirin, cleared to TTC 9/12BFP #3 10/25/12 EDD 7/9/13 Beta #1 13DPO 119 Beta #2 15DPO 264 
    Baby E born 7/8/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCranang:

I just don't understand these women who POAS and then say "ZOMG!!!!  Let's start thinking about my baby shower!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Typically you wait unitl you are in your 3rd trimester but it is up to the shower host. I had one at about 20 weeks but that was because my aunt lives overseas and was going to be in the US for work anyway, so my sister (the host) decided to throw it e

• imagebaby Gs mommy:
    image1026
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm having two showers (one for friends thrown by my bff, one for immediate family and in my hometown 8 hrs away).  The shower for my friends will be when I'm 27 weeks, but that's mostly due to scheduling convenience (end of May/June/July is typicall
  • At 6 weeks no one even knew I was pregnant! I wanted to get out of the first trimester before I told anyone. I'm very surprised so many people already know and someone has already offered to give you a baby shower. I agree with PP, I would want to see the
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • imagejackson290721:
    At 6 weeks no one even knew I was pregnant! I wanted to get out of the first trimester before I told anyone. I'm v

• I had a shower at 20 weeks but that was because I was visiting DH's family and wouldn't be visiting again until after the baby was born.

I think early showers are good too but you should probably wait until at least 26-27 weeks. You'll still hav

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well we have to have ours early. We are having it at about 25 weeks. We do not have much of a choice- other family obligations, showers and wedding scheduled up in the months that are closer to when the baby is born.

• I come from a very traditional family, and all of the showers i've been to were about a month to 6 weeks before the due date. IMO, I would wait until your in your 3rd tri, so like around 27-28 weeks. 

I don't have my shower until April 21st,

Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageJennyCupcakes01:
    So I guess my question is, is 4 1/2-5 months too soon for baby shower planning? Does it even matter?
    </
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Again, it's not really up to you. You don't host your own shower so it's basically based upon when your hostess volunteers a shower.

I will be having my shower at about 23 weeks bc I live 3,000 miles away from family and friends. This was the onl

• OP you are 6 weeks, calm down. At 6 weeks all I could think of was I hope I will have a healthy pregnancy and be able to carry full term. I was nervous and trying not to get too excited because so much can happen in the first tri and I wanted confirmation
  • I'll probably have mine early (25-ish weeks) because I am very high risk and will almost certainly end up on bed rest. Other than a similar situation, I don't know why you'd have it earlier. It isn't as if you can't buy things yourself in the meantime. Be
    "She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Forget the heartbeat, make sure you have a baby in there first.  I found out I was pregnant and then realized at 8 1/2 weeks there wasn't even a baby.  Stupid blighted ovum. 

Slow yourself down, you have 40 weeks to be the center of
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Wow. Who knew TheBump had some ***-tastic users!

I appreciate actual feedback not snarky comments. I guess it's easy when you are hiding behind a computer screen huh? 

• And I do want to add for those assuming I'm ONLY thinking of a baby shower simply because I asked about it are ignorant. Obviously you have zero idea what goes on in my mind and what I think about on a daily basis. Of course I'm more concerned with stayin

• imageRedheadBaker:

imageJenny

• Re-read my original post and saw I put REALLY which in your dictionary means MUST.

I REALLY want to shell out a couple hundred bucks on a designer bag. Doesn't mean I MUST do it. Get the difference? 

• You can find out the sex via a blood test around 12 weeks, although I think the results take 2 weeks give or take.  Is that early enough for you?

You got good feedback--sounds like you just don't like it. 

• You can have a shower whenever the hell you feel like it.  How is that for advice? Sorry, but at 6 weeks, like the others, my baby shower and buying lots of cute pink dresses or little dinosaur shirts was the last thing on my mind.  It's a baby
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Is anyone else thinking of all of the "Baby boy turned girl because the U/S tech thought the cord was actually a penis" stories and giggling?  How about all of the "ZOMG---I realllllllly am disappointed that my anatomy scan technician couldn't tell m
  • If you had bothered to lurk for a bit you would have known what you were in for with this post.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Registering already my not be wise as seasons and inventory change and these items may not be available then. Hear the heartbeat first until you get too excited and God forbid you have to delete a registry. I'd wait til at least your 3rd tri bc everyone l
  • Well based on the "good feedback", I'll toss the baby gift I was just given from a friend of mine back in her face and tell her it's too soon.

• imageJillwithani:
    Registering already my not be wise as seasons and inventory change and these items may not be available then. Hea

• The 3rd tri is the best and receives the least amount of side-eye from guests, you have time to buy your own stuff, research brands, decide if you want cloth/disposable or co-sleep/crib/bassinet, figure out your own style for the nursery and parenting.

• imageRedheadBaker:

imageJenny
  • But it's too soon guys! I possibly couldn't accept a gift now! What kind of future mother would I be thinking about gifts and not the progress of my growing child?!  </

• Get those hormones in check ladies :) 

• You asked a question, people answered. What were you expecting? For people to say "oh what a great idea to have one now".

In all honesty, and not to be Debbie Downer, but at 6 weeks you aren't even sure you have a viable pregnancy yet. In yo
  • Ok, cupcake.  Seriously, calm your tits.  You got good advice.  You got a shot of reality.  Take it for what it's worth, and step back and listen to yourself.  You're a minute pregnant and already you and your friends are think

• How the hell do people already know you're pregnant?

And you can't tell gender from an ultrasound. You can tell the sex - whether or not your baby has a penis or vagina. You can do lots of planning without that knowledge, though.

<span sty

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR YOU DAMN NEWBS TO USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION?!!11!

• imageMandJS:
    imageBetty&Co:<
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"