Houston Babies

Possibly relocating to Houston...need help please

Hi ladies,

I'm looking for some feedback on the northern regions of Houston, please, mainly good school districts. And maybe insight as to why property seems to be so incredibly affordable? (It almost seems to good to be true!)

My husband is flying down next week to meet with a company and hopefully a realtor. The areas we are focusing on include: The Woodlands, Tomball, Spring and Cypress. Any feedback on school districts, commute into town, and commute to Channelview. Also, are there are other areas we should consider?

Ideally, we would like to stay in the <$150K and 2300 sq. foot range.

Thank you for taking the time to offer advice!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Possibly relocating to Houston...need help please

• Cost of living is really great in Houston!  Welcome!

The Woodlands has areas with much higher taxes - so beware.  Great place to live but commute can be tough.

My DH commutes from Spring/Klein area to Kemah and it takes him 1.5 hours each way.  It's fairly brutal.  If your DH's job is over there, I'd certainly live closer.  Without traffic that drive is about 40 minutes.  With traffic will likely take at least one hour. 

What about Summerwood or Fall Creek?  They are East of 59, much closer to Channelview and great schools.  Kingwood is north of there and still not as bas as a drive to Channelview.

Good luck!

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Thank you so much for your response - you just gave me new areas to look at! I truly appreciate you taking the time to help.

• Loading the player...
  • Moving from MA to TX the cost of living is awesome down here! The too good to be true part... Be aware of high taxes on houses, I'm told that's the part that gets you. Even still, you get a lot more for your money down here. As far as areas go, I agree with pp.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesaturdaynightdoubletree:
    Moving from MA to TX the cost of living is awesome down here! The too good to be true part... Be aware of high taxes on houses, I'm told that's the part that gets you. Even still, you get a lot more for your money down here. As far as areas go, I agree with pp.

I have noticed that taxes are higher on comparable priced homes up here. Thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts!

• KRMcDKRMcD member

Kingwood and Atascocita both have good schools (try for areas zoned for the following middle schools: Creekwood, Kingwood, Riverwood, Atascocita).

Summerwood and Fall Creek are also options.  

• I live in Spring and teach in Conroe school district (serves the Woodlands). I love living in Spring, and have heard great things about Klein, Tomball, and of course Conroe school districts. From what I have heard, don't buy a house in Spring school district- you can live in Spring, but be in the Klein school district.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"