June 2013 Moms
Options

babysitter??

so i went to meet with a babysitter tonight and i over all really like her. The only thing is i don't know how i feel about her not claiming it on her taxes, cause then i cant. It will be almost $5000 in a year that i spend on child care that i can't claim. Have you guys had a baby sitter that didn't and what did you think?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: babysitter??

• Options
    i havent had a babysitter, but I'm personally a yoga instructor and when i get private clients that pay me in cash, I also don't claim it.  It's hard to make money with jobs like that and then to have taxes taken out is painful -- plus being an independent contractor like that means no benefits.  So I would understand...but only because of the job situation I have.  I think prior to being a yoga teacher I wouldn't have understood...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageKHadden26:
    i havent had a babysitter, but I'm personally a yoga instructor and when i get private clients that pay me in cash, I also don't claim it.  It's hard to make money with jobs like that and then to have taxes taken out is painful -- plus being an independent contractor like that means no benefits.  So I would understand...but only because of the job situation I have.  I think prior to being a yoga teacher I wouldn't have understood...

I 100% why she wouldn't. FTM and not sure how much of a difference it makes to claim and not to claim.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    $5,000 year sounds cheap to me, so I wouldn't care! LOL  If you want someone that reports their income, you will most likely pay more to make up that difference anyway.  Depending on what your effective tax rate is (look at your tax return and divide the amt of taxes by your income), you might only be saving around $350/yr anyway (based on a 7% national avg effective tax rate).
    TTC since 2/2009
    11/2010 - Surprise BFP - m/c @ 16 weeks - dx Lupus Anticoagulant
    1/2012 - Clomid & IUI #4= BFP twins! On Lovenox - m/c @ 16 weeks

9/2012 - Clomid & IUI #5= BFP! EDD 6/6/13

I may have to wait....I'll never give up.
    I guess it's half timing and the other half's luck. - Buble
  • Options
    Do you mean up to $5,000 for the child care credits?  In that case, have you made sure that you even qualify and aren't phased out?  In the event that you aren't phased out and it will make a difference you can always 1099 this person and then leave it up to them to claim it on their end.  If this is more of a nanny issue this may become an issue later on, for example, if she trys to claim unemployment if the relationship ended you could come under fire.  I am always hesitant to do business with people who openly refuse to claim income, but that's just me...
  • Options
    no its is really cheap. I only need 3 days a week, so it will be 100/week for her. I just wanted some one your input thats you ladies
  • Options
    We don't claim our nanny. It sucks.
    We said "I Do" on 9/27/2008!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about it for the taxes as much as the other liabilities. We had a friend who lost her job and then had to fire her nanny as a result. They gave her a little severance money, but the nanny went to file for unemployment and soon after that the IRS called and they had to pay fines, interest and back taxes on the whole mess. Also something to consider - if you claim your nanny properly and she falls or hurts herself while working, your home owners insurance is more likely to cover it. I paid taxes when I was a nanny 20 hours a week in grad school, and I wound up getting it all back in April because my income was still too low, so that is something to consider.

You can't consider the nanny a 1099 contractor because of the rules of the IRS - it's W2 or nothing Tongue Tied

photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"