Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

my 2 month old baby won't go to anyone but me

Help...I spent years loving and taking care of other people's children and I couldn't wait for the day when I'd have my own to love and that would love me.  I saw the way the children looked at their mother and longed for that connection with my own.  I finally got what I wished for.  In December 2012 I gave birth to (in everyone else's opinion) my mini-me.  I get to feel the connection I wanted and have seen the look in her eyes that I waited for so long to see.

NOW...she won't go with anyone but me and it's driving me crazy.  I can't put her down for longer than 10 minutes.  I've tried to let her cry it out but she is relentless and seems like she would cry forever if i let her.  So i pick her up.  It's not like just ANYONE can pick her up either.  My mother (who is amazing with children) tries to carry her and soothe her and she screams as soon as she LOOKS at my mother.  i wish she would at least go with my mother because sometimes my arms need a break and I'm afraid she'll end up being a "CARRIED-ONLY" baby.  I've never seen a child react to other people the way she does....what do i do!?

Re: my 2 month old baby won't go to anyone but me

• Options
    I an interested to the replies here because I have a similar thing going on except mine is six weeks and she will go to my mom but not my husband which sucks. I am hoping it is a wonder week and that she will grow out of it but it is hard when they won't sit in anything mite than a couple of minutes
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

No good advice, but my DD#2 is the same way!  I started back to work, and unless my DH is home with her, she screams for the caregiver - our babysitter, my sister, my mom, my dad.  I am hoping with practice, she will get used to other people.  My other 2 didn't do this!  It makes me feel so badly that I know she is screaming while I head off to work (I work nights, so I leave in the late afternoon and the kids are with a babysitter until my DH gets home).  She also greatly prefers BFing over bottles, but is getting better at the bottle.  However, my DH tried to give her some thawed BM while I was home the other day (he had thawed too much while I was at work and we didn't want to waste it), and she was eating fine...until I walked by and she saw me.  Then she started to scream bloody murder until we put the bottle away and she finished the feed bfing.  

Anyway, like I said, I don't really have any good advice, but we are in the same boat! 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No advice but same situation here! You would think my DD is superglued to me most the time since I can't put her down. She's not a fan of the baby wearing contraptions either. She has reflux and I read that it's common in reflux babies to want to be held a lot since they are uncomfortable or hurting. My DD is 12 weeks and pretty much only naps using me as her human pillow. Good luck!
  • Options

Cry it out is not meant for babies so young. You can not spoil a baby by holding them. My babies like to be held. DS was much more high needs than DD is, but she still prefers to be held over anything else. Buy a baby carrier so you can have your hands free. Our favorites are our ring slings from sleeping baby productions. My second choice is our Beco Gemini. Try sleeping with a receiving blanket, if you are BFing, allow some milk to leak onto it, use it when you want someone else to hold her, being able to smell you is likely to make her feel more secure.

Back to CIO, not all children have personalities that are compatible with CIO. My son would have cried all night. As she gets older she will be able to entertain herself for longer periods of time. Once she can play sitting up or in a saucer it will get much easier. 

• Options
    Same with DS. I can't have anyone hold him for more than a min or else he gets so mad!

• Options

DD was like that too. I say "was" but really, she prefers me over anyone else, but it's getting better. She went through a few week phase where she would cry whenever my husband would hold her, and he started to get upset by it, which made me upset. I think time and me leaving a few times have helped us a lot.

I was also starting to get worried that I'd never be able to put DD down, until I read something somewhere that resonated with me: pretty soon these babies will want to be crawling all over the place and cuddling sessions will be fewer and farther between. Since then, I have embraced this season of clinginess as a sweet, fleeting time where my baby wants and needs me to be close as much as possible. She'll want her independence soon enough, but right now she wants me and I want that!

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My cousin's first born, a girl, was like this.  She was born on the cusp of my starting to have a family and I remember thinking "what did my cousin do to that little baby" as no one else could hold her, not even the dad.  She only wanted mom, and I though it was all my cousin's doing, but what did I know I had no kids and new nothing about kids.  Now looking back and with breastfeeding I see the bond a mother and her child have :) My cousin started wearing big t-shirts to get her smell all over them and then when someone else including the dad would hold the baby they would hold them with the tshirt that had my cousin's "sent" on it.  It worked eventually and to this day the kids use her tshirts as "blankies" for comfort.  And the child is now 4 :) Wether the tshirt helped or not who knows perhaps the child just grew out of it.  But it's worth a try.  
  • Options
    I'd just keep trying to expose her to different people and make yourself as relaxed as possible about it.  She can probably sense your anxiety and it makes it worse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"