May 2012 Moms
Options

Daycare, wwyd

My DH and I are torn on which nanny to choose.  Anyone's advice or thoughts is welcome!  We are hiring a nanny for MWF for the summer.  Hoping LO gets into more regular daycare by September (currently he's doing PT daycare and on a list to get more full days which would likely start in Sept).  Our current nanny is moving in May so we need someone new basically for the summer.  (Grandparents do T/TR and take him to his half days of day care in the afternoon on T/TR).  Ok, so here is who we narrowed it down to:

1. 40ish year old German woman.  Has 3 grown kids in Germany and 1 late arrival 2.5 year old in America with her now.  She's a warm, nice woman who has a ton of experience nannying.  She brings her 2.5 year old with and was doing this with a family of 4 until that family decided to hire an in home au pair.  So now she's looking for work.  She has a car with 2 carseats, so could take him on "field trips" to the zoo, children's museum, etc. She leads a German play group of toddlers on the weekend and has a background in elementary education.  The major con is I don't know if I want her 2.5 year old in our house.  We haven't baby proofed much yet (I know we have to soon but it was going to be a longer process...as we saw what we needed to do based on watching our child). And I feel like the toddler will get into all of our stuff.  And she's a regular 2.5 year old - grabby, slapped on the fishtank during the interview, a little selfish (yelled "mine!" when LO tried to take her doll). I mean her mom is trying to teach her to share of course, but yeah, she's a 2.5 year old.

2. A grad student who just finished her first semester of Occupational Therapy school.  She has been nannying PT for a 3 year old and is looking to fill in more days. She had experience in the past babysitting for younger babies. Seemed very responsible/reliable.

LO did great with both of them. He likes anyone who gives him smiles and attention.  I think the German aspect is so cool - she'd sing to him in German and stuff.  But I also like the idea of one on one and what I see as an "easier" situation with the grad student. Both could potentially continue in the fall if day care doesn't work out.

WWYD!? Thanks for making it this far....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Daycare, wwyd

• Options
    Does option 1 only want to work part time? I would worry that she would find a more permanent job and leave. I think I would pick the student.
  • Options

I would choose the student.

If the other woman's kid is there it seems they would get #1 priority all of the time.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmmm so no one for the German lady!?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I would MOST CERTAINLY choose the German lady! IMO experience in being a mom makes for much better in home day care. Also the fact she had a two year old in my Ming is a HUGE plus, it is a built in play mate. You should see how great Lucas and Nathan play "together" it's more side by side at this age but its great. It's teaching both to share and it's teaching Lucas that even though he's a baby he can't always get his way. I also think as our lo get closer to a year and beyond having interaction with other children is very important. Plus there's not much baby proofing by two, that's when you start un baby proofing. Except electric outlets and such.

I also think that a more experienced mother/nanny is more likely to not let your lo always get their way or walk all over them which is key at this age you don't want a bunch if bad habits to break when your with lo after work. Plus down the road having a more experienced nanny will help with things like potty training and such. Oh yeah and the fact this is her career not that she's a student who will want to start her career is also a great thing. I wouldn't want to have to look for a new Nanny in a year or two.

As I was reading your description of the German lady I was thinking this sounds wonderful, the student was more like well that would be ok too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options

imagebellelamb:
    As I was reading your description of the German lady I was thinking this sounds wonderful, the student was more like well that would be ok too.

Honestly, this was my thought too.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagebellelamb:
    I would MOST CERTAINLY choose the German lady! IMO experience in being a mom makes for much better in home day care. Also the fact she had a two year old in my Ming is a HUGE plus, it is a built in play mate. You should see how great Lucas and Nathan play "together" it's more side by side at this age but its great. It's teaching both to share and it's teaching Lucas that even though he's a baby he can't always get his way. I also think as our lo get closer to a year and beyond having interaction with other children is very important. Plus there's not much baby proofing by two, that's when you start un baby proofing. Except electric outlets and such.

I also think that a more experienced mother/nanny is more likely to not let your lo always get their way or walk all over them which is key at this age you don't want a bunch if bad habits to break when your with lo after work. Plus down the road having a more experienced nanny will help with things like potty training and such. Oh yeah and the fact this is her career not that she's a student who will want to start her career is also a great thing. I wouldn't want to have to look for a new Nanny in a year or two.

Thanks! I think this is the answer I wanted to hear... So probably I have my mind made up after all!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Glad I could help! I say go with your gut but my gut says the German lady is the better option.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"