Natural Birth
Options

OR Requied?

So, in the "birth packet" my OBGYN sent me after I requested a bunch of information I found out that its the hospitals policy to have all vaginal multiple deliveries in the OR as soon as the Mom hits 4cm. 

The birthing suites are beautiful... the OR is white and stark :/ a little disappointed with this. 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
imageimage

Re: OR Requied?

• Options
    I didn't really care if my room was beautiful. I guess that's a side effect of having my face buried in the mattress and/or my eyes closed most of the time. I think you'll find this isn't actually on your radar in labour. Nicely decorated rooms are selling features for pregnant women more than actual assets in labour.
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:
    I didn't really care if my room was beautiful. I guess that's a side effect of having my face buried in the mattress and/or my eyes closed most of the time. I think you'll find this isn't actually on your radar in labour. Nicely decorated rooms are selling features for pregnant women more than actual assets in labour.

I don't think she cares about the beauty of the room per se, but more the unfairness of having to deliver in a place meant for surgery.

Unfortunately, I have heard a number of women on this board face that requirement, but I don't know if it's all hospitals. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, all the talked about was how other women get pretty rooms and she doesn't... if she has an actual problem with the stage she's moved to the OR (really, 4 cm is pretty early and I wasn't even at the hospital then) or the policy in general, perhaps her doctor will negotiate. The thing is: life isn't fair. Having twins is a different experience than having a singleton, and odds are you can't find a provider that won't have policies specific to a twin birth.
  • Options
    I think that's pretty standard unfortunately. However, I'd have a conversation with my provider sooner rather than later to see what sort of wiggle room there may be. Sometimes it is a hospital policy; sometimes it's up to a provider. I would be less worried about the decor of the room and more worried about the mentality "twins means you probably need a c-section so we are going to set you up to birth there".
  • Options

Thats not fair!! But honestly, at 4cm I was not too concerned with my surrondings. I actually arrived at 4cm and was not really concerned about what the room was like. I had a playlist of music on my phone to listen to and relax, but there was literally Christmas music playing on the stereo the entire time and I didn't notice until after I delivered!

I had no clue when those crotch spotlights came on or when it got dard outside. I didn't even notice them setting up all the surgical looking stuff on that table and turned the baby warmer on... honestly, I could have delivered in the waiting room and not even noticed. Hopefully you can make the OR comfy with your own pillow or something. Such a brave mama you are, btw!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagencbelle:
    I would be less worried about the decor of the room and more worried about the mentality "twins means you probably need a c-section so we are going to set you up to birth there".

Yes, this. I think it is fairly standard to have twin delivery in the OR. But talk to your provider about what they're willing to make exceptions for. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

I'm actually in disagreement with a few of the PP, even though I consider myself a bit more "conservative" when it comes to natural birth.  I think 4 cm sounds very early.  Even if you are held to the 1 cm per hour rule, that means you will be hanging around for 6 hours or more.  I have heard of people having to transfer to the OR when in transition, and think that delivering in an OR with twins is prudent but 4 cm sounds sucky, many hospitals don't even admit patients until they are that far along.  Have you talked to your OB about going at a later point, like 8 or 9 cm?

Are you aiming for an unmedicated birth?  If so, will the OR have anything to help facilitate this?  For anyone who has been in an OR, it is a lot different than even a standard, boring birthing room.  Much of the time the lights are very bright, and the temperatures are very cold.  Would you be able to change any of that during labor?  Are you allowed to eat or drink anything in the OR?  What about measures to keep things sanitary?  Will you be allowed to have support in there? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That's seems a little extreme.  It's pretty standard to deliver in the OR with multiples, but I haven't heard about having to labor in one.  I'd want to check to see if that's really the case.  From my understanding (I had wuss OBs and had an "automatic" section), you labor until you are ready to push in a normal LDR room and then they move you to the OR to push.

Also, you may have already had this discussion with your provider, but figure out what they will and won't deliver vaginally.  My OBs wouldn't attempt a vaginal delivery with anything other than vertex vertex while there are many who will as long as Baby A is vertex.  

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    I am an RN at a hospital and 4cm seems early. Do you know how long it can take to get from 4 -10 and delivery? I cant see a hospital occupying an or for that long. They do transfer twin Moms at 8-0 cm. It is safest just in case Baby B gets stuck or turns etc. You need to get that baby out asap (possibly by csection). That is not when you want to gather the staff and transfer to the OR...minutes count.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker 
  • Options
    Honestly, I agree with the nurse pp that it seems really far fetched that they would tie up an OR for hours upon hours while you go from 4 cm to 10 cm. I'd ask for some clarification there. I think most ORs are busy being used most of the time.
  • Options
    If you confirm that that really is the policy, I'd hire a doula and labor at home for a long, long time before going to the hospital nthey can't lock you in the OR if you aren't there. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I recently delivered twins and we didn't go to the OR until I was 10cm and ready to push. 4cm sounds ridiculously early - and like PP said, I can't imagine the hospital would want you occupying the OR for hours on end. As I understand it, the whole point of being in the OR is in case something goes wrong with Baby B. I would definitely clarify this policy with your OB.

TTC #2 since July 2010
    FSH = 11 (20 on day 10 of CCCT)/ AMH = .98 / AFC=12ish
    5 IUI's with oral meds = all BFN
    March 2012 IVF (MDL Protocol) Started stims 3/3; ER 3/11 (9R, 8M, 7F) ET 3/16 (5dt of 2 blasts graded 3AB and 3BA, 3 frosties(!!) Beta 3/26 = 386; Beta 3/28 = 827; u/s 4/11 says TWINS! Boy/Girl Twins delivered at 36 weeks 6 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You might also be able to ask for the closest room to the OR to labor in. Somebody I know was able to do that.  They were in a room across the hall from the OR, so the doctor felt like no time would be wasted if things got hairy.  The other consideration is who is allowed in the OR with you. Most places are really strict on that one due to the sterile environment thing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Have you talked to a midwife or other provider experienced with multiples and breech birth? It is standard for an OR to be used in a hospital birth with multiples so they can immediately proceed to surgery if needed. I do know several twin moms who chose homebirth instead with a midwife experienced in breech techniques. It is not something every one would or should consider, but it is an option.
  • Options

imagemeltoine:
    If you confirm that that really is the policy, I'd hire a doula and labor at home for a long, long time before going to the hospital nthey can't lock you in the OR if you aren't there. 

I have an appointment coming up in the next week, I'll ask. I thought it was early too. I hope they let me bring sunglasses. I'm more upset about the lighting than the room decor. plus it seems to me that an OR would be LESS okay with me walking around between contractions.  

I'll look into trying to move it later... When I re-read it, it does seem a little fuzzy on if its actually required at 4cm or if it COULD be required at 4cm. and if they do, I'll for sure sit with the hubbers at home 

imageimage
  • Options

and I am aiming for an unmedicated birth, the provider is great about that, referred me to a local Bradley Certified teacher. 

and yes, I know my original post noted the look of my room... I hate all white rooms. I tend to get migraines when its bright lights + white...

and I do know I won't find a provider without rules (I picked one that most closely fit my personal style.). I just REALLY don't want to be seeing that obnoxiously bright room for hours on end. 

imageimage
  • Options
    Sunglasses seem like a really reasonable request, and like you're already thinking about ways to work within the constraints you've got. I would also consider a doula, labouring at home for a while, and just talking through your worries with your (supportive!) doctor. The fact that you've got a doctor that referred you TO Bradley (a lot of OBs really hate it) and that wants to help you achieve a vaginal twin birth is a great start.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"