December 2012 Moms
Options

Help me decide!

We went and visited two home day cares, and we liked them both. So I'm looking for unbiased opinions :)

Day Care #1 Pros:

Provider only has 3 kids she watches, LO would be the only baby (current youngest is 1 year old)

Provider had CPR certification, menus, severe weather plans (we live in Tornado Alley), and a few other certificates posted in plain sight in living room

All rooms were clean, well organized, lots of books and toys available

House was "bright" - lots of natural light

Day Care #1 Cons:

More expensive than #2, I pay a flat rate for all week even if I only bring LO for 3 days (but, this also means I can drop him off and go run a few errands on my days off and not have to pay extra)

Hours are 5:30 am-5:30 pm, would have to orchestrate who is going to pick LO up on days that I work and days that DH doesn't get off before then - not a huge deal, since we have grandparents that live in town, but will have to figure out car seat transfers

Day Care #2 Pros:

No set hours, I can bring LO at 6:30 am and pick him up at 7:30 pm on days I work and not be charged extra. Also, she would provide "babysitter" services on the weekend if DH and I wanted to go out and didn't have a sitter

Cheaper than #1, will let me pay per day rather than per week, would save $25-$50 a week this way

Provider keeps infants in a room separate from older kids (once they can walk, they go to the older kid room) - she watches one room, her assistant watches the other

Day Care #2 Cons:

Provider has 7 kids total, 2 of which are other infants (not all kids or infants come every single day, most are like LO and would come only a few random days a week)

Room where infants are kept is "dark" - not good use of natural light

Provider interacts well with infants, but there are not a lot of toys in the infant room, and no books - these are all in the room with the older kids

Thoughts? Which one would you choose and why?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help me decide!

• Options
    I would pick one. I think this is a you get what you pay for situation. One sounds more professional.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options

I agree with the first choice.  We had a similar decision to make for our son when we chose a daycare.  Like you said, the time could be an issue, but if you have grandparents or others to help, that isn't as big of an issue.  Our daycare also has a flat rate even if we miss days.  However, when it came down to other factors, that ended up not to matter either.

Good luck in your decision! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would choose 1. More professional, more personal attention for your LO, and I like that LO would be with older kids too I feel like it helps teach them. Also, I had looked at an in home DC about 2 years ago and it too was very dark. That to me is a total turn off we have tons of natural light in our home and I love it.
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would choose 1 as well.  And you can always leave the car seat at the daycare if grandparents are picking up and they can either get a base for their car or just secure with the seatbelt.
  • Options
    I would pick #1 too - less kids means less chances of catching the flu or some bug or other, and going to the doctor would mean higher bills in the long run and endless sleepless nights too!
    imageimage image
  • Options
    The first. Sounds like higher quality care to me.
  • Options

#1 sounds more professional.

Having set hours prevents burnout. My comfort level wouldn't be there with option #2 to have LO there so late that its past when most the kids have gone home and there is dinner to be made and family is home. I just don't think they get the same level of care while all that is going on and at the end of the day. 

Also just a piece of advice keep the car seat with the baby at day care. That way who ever picks LO up has the car seat as well. 

Good Luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options
    My pick is Daycare #1!
    BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards