Houston Babies
Options

If you EBFed up until one year

I need advice.  I have a week long business trip planned to Canada at the end of September.  F will turn one the first week of November.  I might have enough freezer supply to get her through until then if I just stop BFing right when I go on my trip in order to not have to break out the pump again.

If you EBFed to a year, when did you stop totally? 

How did the weaning process go for you?

I am torn whether to stop now, run out the remains in our freezer and then switch to whole milk which might be a bit before her first birthday OR suck it up and take the pump with me on my trip.  WWYD?

If I do stop before my trip and there isn't enough in the freezer to get to her first birthday, do I go ahead and use formula?  The plan is to drop a feeding this weekend, so it will be only twice a day that she is BF.

Thanks so much~

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
So Tasty, So Yummy

Re: If you EBFed up until one year

• Options

I'm pretty sure you can introduce whole milk before her 1st birthday, especially if it's just a few days/weeks.  I don't know that I would go out and buy formula just for a little while.....it's too expensive!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

we weaned gradually. honestly, i can't see doing it any other way, no matter when you start. if she is going to be down to 2 feedings by this weekend and you have a freezer supply, i would not want to bring a pump on the trip either. however, for only a couple feedings a day you do have the option of a hand pump just to keep those 2 sessions (or even just one session) if you want.

granted, t was 17 mos but i went out of town for 4 days for a trip and he was only nursing once a day. i did not pump while i was gone and came home to a weaned baby.

i also agree with missjake that you can give F whole milk. after all, it's not like a switch flips on their 1st birthday that changes their digestive track to milk ready. if she hasn't had trouble with solids and eats things like cheese and yogurt, milk should be fine. i wouldn't bother with formula if she is a good eater.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't BF, but in your case, if you take the pump to Canada, are you planning to pump and store or pump and dump just to keep your supply up? ?I assume pump and dump because the idea of staying in a hotel while on business and having to worry about storing milk and getting it back would definitely be a PITA.

I don't think formula would hurt her for a month, but for me, it would be kind of like "wow, I BF for 11 months and then she did formula for a month, I should have just taken the damned pump." ?I know it sounds silly, but I am strange like that. ?I'd almost rather go from BM to milk.

We were late on the milk transition for some reason...which is odd since we did everything else as early as possible. ?

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose. ?I imagine it will be a tough decision.?

?

?

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Options

Joe started whole milk at 11 months...my doc was totlaly fine with it.

ETA: If she doesn't get an upset tummy after having ice cream, she'll do fine with whole milk at this age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I started Gabriel on whole milk at 11.5 months.  He is still nursing but only once a day now.  He really did it on his own.  He just started refusing to nurse. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't want to drag the pump on the trip - however, I would mabye try to wean to 1 feeding a day before the trip -that way you are not uncomfortably engorged and don't feel like you have a pump to relieve yourself.  i am gradually weaning right now.  I cut my pumping down to once at work instead of 2 times.  I nurse in the morning and at night before bed.  I have pretty much stopped putting into storage this week b/c the once a day barely covers her feeding for the next day (I use 1 formula bottle, 1 frozen bag, and 1 fresh).

So, I am prob. going ot pump once at work until i get through freezer stash, then start putting more formula in.

I think you could go straight to milk.  Then she only has to get used to one thing different (as opposed to switching to formula, then again to milk within a month).  If you think it might be too big of a change, maybe you can do half milk and half formula (still using water for the formula).  won't be as expensive that way.

• Options

As Blake approached 11 months old, I couldn't keep up with his demand anymore.  I knew I wouldn't have enough freezer supply to use as a supplement in order to make it to his birthday.  I consulted with my ped and she agreed it would be fine to start him on whole milk a month or so early, as opposed to starting formula for just a month. 

Instead of finishing the breastmilk and then starting the cow's milk, we replaced one feeding a day with the cow's milk.  This actually stretched out the frozen breastmilk supply a little longer, and gave his belly a chance to adjust.

I continued to breastfeed here and there until we stopped for good around 13 months.

I can understand how it's a tough decision to make.  I'd be torn, too.

Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    This is all majorly easing my mind...thanks guys!  I knew you would be able to help.  I am going to take stock of the freezer supply and see what I can come up with.
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options

We stopped at 13.5 months.  She was kinda ready, I was kinda ready.  We had slowly cut out one feeding every two weeks for the previous two months (she took water or water/juice...wouldn't take milk).  My pediatrician told us to give her a vitamin each day with calcium in it to make up for the lack of milk.  Amelia HATED milk, wouldn't take it.  We had to wait two months after we weaned for her to take it.  We had to do everything we could think of to get her to take it...Kroger's instant breakfast mixed in (strawberry) finally worked. 

Because we weaned slowly I didn't have major engorgement.  I did have some pain for a few days and it was really uncomfortable.  One thing nobody prepared me for was the emotional side.  I was sad about stopping, but we were both kinda "there" and it was a realization for me that my baby really was growing...it was bittersweet.  My hormones went a little wacky right after weaning..like major PMS hormonal. 

Personally I'd take the pump with me on the trip.  I wouldn't let a business trip push me into stopping...you might resent your job for it down the road when you miss that time with your DD. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"