Multiples
Options

really frustrated...

Baby A is 7 weeks old (born at 38 wks if that matters).  He uses a pacifier often, and needs it at night. Lately he has been dropping it out of his mouth in the middle of the night.  He will not stop fussing/crying until he gets it back.  But then within a minute, he drops it again. This can go on for over an hour.  Not a joyful thing at 3am. :-( 

I'm wondering if he is too young for me to just let him cry it out if I don't give it back to him.  Last night after about 20 mins. of me popping that thing back into his mouth, I gave up and let him cry.  He went a good 10 minutes and still would not stop crying until I gave him the pacifier back...only to drop it again. I know he can hold it in his mouth longer than that.  Even as I write this, he is sound asleep and sucking on his paci.  

This FTM, is at a loss, I don't know what to do.  This was a 2 hour ordeal last night and I finally put him in a boppy pillow in the bed with me so I could at least be close to get that binki back in quick! LOL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker < br > image

Re: really frustrated...

• Options
    Do you have a RNP? Maybe you could put him in it next to your bed so you don't have to keep getting up to put the paci back in. I sleep trained my boys at 10 weeks old- they were both well over 12lbs at that point and my pediatrician recommends sleep training at 12 lbs or 12 weeks- whatever comes first. Most people judge me for doing it so early, but they sleep really well now that they are sleep trained and before I let them CIO, they were a mess at night. I know people usually do 4-6 months and I'm not trying to start anything, but my pediatrician made some valid points for why 12 weeks makes more sense than 4-6 months (teething, 4 month wakeful period, etc). 7 weeks does however seem early to me. Just remember, it's a phase like everything else and soon your babies will be STTN. GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ohhhh I remember those days, for me it was worth it to just give them their nuks back.  I know it SUCKS and it's so easy to say just keep doing it, but it will end.  You can also work on strengthening his sucking muscles by gently pulling on it during the day when he has it in his mouth, that will help him keep it in.  Some people will probably tell you to drop the habit, for us that was not worth it.  Now my babies are 8 1/2 months and can get them back in themselves, we just put like 8 in their cribs and they figure it out.  I swear if someone invented some gadget to keep pacifiers in (SAFELY) they would make millions. :)  My advice is to work on those muscles and just know that this too will pass, eventually he will figure it out, but I do seriously know that it's hard!  And I completely agree with pp, he is too young to CIO, he knows what will make it better, it's his paci, until he can get it in himself I think he's too little.  If you are feeling way too overwhelmed can your SO help you in the middle of the night?  Or is there someone else who could come help you?  I know it's hard to ask for help but getting no sleep is not good for anyone. :(
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That was my daughter! Until I bought a wub a nub! It's the paci with like a little beanie animal attached! It's amazing bc it stays and as she got older its become her soother, she likes holding it and can grab it herself! They are 12 at BRU bust so worth the I bought 3!
  • Options

I know you're frustrated, and tired, but 7 weeks is WAY too young to cry it out.  At this age, they don't cry to manipulate - they cry because they need something (like soothing).

Right now, your only goal is survival.  If you need to sleep with him next to your bed so that you can hop up and put it back quickly, so be it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have been swaddling him, and I just got him to sleep in a bassinet instead of the RnP.  Maybe that is the issue, he has just had that big change in his life.  His bassinet is next to my bed.  It's funny because he only does this after the middle of the night feeding, and sometimes naps during the day (which is much easier for me to deal with). I am going to try working on the strength of his muscles to see if he can get better at holding it in.  You have all confirmed my thoughts on crying it out. I hope to find some relief soon, and looking forward to when "it does get better" as everyone says. Thank you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker < br > image
  • Options

imageangelfire02:
      Now my babies are 8 1/2 months and can get them back in themselves, we just put like 8 in their cribs and they figure it out.  I swear if someone invented some gadget to keep pacifiers in (SAFELY) they would make millions. :)  

Since they can put them back themselves, get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/BooginHead-PG-NR-Booginhead-Pacigrip-Nautical/dp/B008ESOICQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359654753&sr=8-1&keywords=booginhead

I don't have to have nearly as many paci's on hand anymore because they no longer get lost.  I just clip it to DS's shoulder seam and it's always available.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    imagekgs0505:

imageangelfire02:
      Now my babies are 8 1/2 months and can get them back in themselves, we just put like 8 in their cribs and they figure it out.  I swear if someone invented some gadget to keep pacifiers in (SAFELY) they would make millions. :)  

https://www.amazon.com/BooginHead-PG-NR-Booginhead-Pacigrip-Nautical/dp/B008ESOICQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359654753&sr=8-1&keywords=booginhead

I don't have to have nearly as many paci's on hand anymore because they no longer get lost.  I just clip it to DS's shoulder seam and it's always available.

We have these and I suggested using them at night to H the other day and he freaked out and said no way, they could strangle themselves.  Thinking about it, it does make sense.  My girls roll and move a lot at night and I suppose they could roll over on it and get it caught around their necks.  Just something to consider.

OP, we use the Wubanubs and kept them in RNPs.  In the RNP there isn't far that the pacifier can go and the Wubanubs keep them in place well.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJen0204:
    imagekgs0505:

imageangelfire02:

We have these and I suggested using them at night to H the other day and he freaked out and said no way, they could strangle themselves.  Thinking about it, it does make sense.  My girls roll and move a lot at night and I suppose they could roll over on it and get it caught around their necks.  Just something to consider.

OP, we use the Wubanubs and kept them in RNPs.  In the RNP there isn't far that the pacifier can go and the Wubanubs keep them in place well.  

Thank you!  We do have some of these but I don't think I would use them at night.  They are fantastic for their car seats though!!! :)  We couldn't get by without them! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageangelfire02:
    Ohhhh I remember those days, for me it was worth it to just give them their nuks back.  I know it SUCKS and it's so easy to say just keep doing it, but it will end.  You can also work on strengthening his sucking muscles by gently pulling on it during the day when he has it in his mouth, that will help him keep it in.  Some people will probably tell you to drop the habit, for us that was not worth it.  Now my babies are 8 1/2 months and can get them back in themselves, we just put like 8 in their cribs and they figure it out.  I swear if someone invented some gadget to keep pacifiers in (SAFELY) they would make millions. :)  My advice is to work on those muscles and just know that this too will pass, eventually he will figure it out, but I do seriously know that it's hard!  And I completely agree with pp, he is too young to CIO, he knows what will make it better, it's his paci, until he can get it in himself I think he's too little.  If you are feeling way too overwhelmed can your SO help you in the middle of the night?  Or is there someone else who could come help you?  I know it's hard to ask for help but getting no sleep is not good for anyone. :(
    I agree with all of this! Especially tugging on the paci when LO is sucking on it during the day. This helps train him to hold it in his mouth better. GL!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    Maybe he's hungry? My one boy does the exact same thing.if I give him another ounce or two, he's usually good and will go back to sleep. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"