Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

You guys know the drill...

1) What is the best piece of advice or tip that you've received in terms of being a dad/dad-to-be?

2) What "tricks" of the trade have you learned or been told about taking care of the baby?

3-5 are you guys.

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) What is the best piece of advice or tip that you've received in terms of being a dad/dad-to-be?

Best piece of advice I probably got is to savor the moments, they go by so incredibly fast.  It seems like yesterday my wife told me she was pregnant with our son, and now, here we are with a 2 year old and just a few short weeks away from #2.  Time has absolutely flown by.

2) What "tricks" of the trade have you learned or been told about taking care of the baby?

In my "Daddy Boot Camp", possibly the most useful thing I learned was when changing a diaper, place the fresh diaper immediately underneath while the dirty one is still on.  This way, you can clean up and have the diaper in position, ready to go and not have to fumble around trying to get it under the baby.  I have caught the bulk of multiple pees this way just being able to pull the new diaper up and over to catch it and not have it spray all over the room.

3) Had a great deal of fun last night watching Indiana absolutely destroy Purdue in West Lafayette.  Now if only they can do the same to Michigan on Saturday.

4) Took my son to the zoo for the first time in several months because of abnormally warm weather (for the day).  It is amazing how at 25 months how many animals he can identify and mimic their noises.  I guess I have taken him enough that he knows exactly where his favorite animals are and knows how to find them.

5)  We hit the 35/35 mark for son #2 on Tuesday, though with the the scheduled C-section date, it is 35/28.  We go in for a growth ultrasound next Wednesday, which may potentially push the date up even earlier.  Stuff is getting real over here.

• 1) My father gave me the best advice I have had so far.  Hold him as much as I can while I can.  That windows closes quickly, and it will never open up again.  I still do skin to skin once a day because of that advice.

2) My trick related to getting ready in the moring.  We wake him up at 5:30 every work morning to get him in his school cloths and to feed him.  This way, by 6:15, he is still sleepy-head and will go in his crib no problem to sleep for another hour while my wife and I get ready for work.  Food = sleepy time, and we use that to our advantage every morning so we are not running around all hectic.

3) Bucks got BLOWN OUT by the Bulls last night. Still a building project here for them.

4) Our Christmas Tree is still up. Every night, since we put it up, he will stare at it and pout until we turn the lights on.  Every time we try to take it down the boy starts to go nuts.  So Saturday night, late, I will be talking down the tree, and I will have my camera ready to see what happens the next morning when he sees it is not there.

5) The only present I want for Valentines Day is a morning of sleeping in.  Really, that is all I want.   

• Loading the player...
  • 1) What is the best piece of advice or tip that you've received in terms of being a dad/dad-to-be?

I haven't really been given much advice yet.  Mostly I've just received a lot of good-natured ribbing that my life is over.  Thankfully I know that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Friends of ours just gave us a book called "How Not to Kill Your Baby."  I've only flipped through a little bit of it, but it is pretty funny.  I've learned that the best pet you can have for your child is an elephant.  So that is my new goal.

Here is a link to the book if anyone is interested:
    https://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Kill-Your-Baby/dp/1449409911

3) The friends who gave us the book are staying with us for a little while until they can find their own place.  I've been friends with the guy since we were 3.  Last night he hooked up his original NES and we were playing World Cup Soccer.  It was a fun blast from the past.

4) We bought our first big things for the baby.  We got the Britax B-Safe car seat and B-Agile stroller during Target's sale.  We also finalized the registry and are looking more into what the nursery will be.

5) Over the weekend I felt the baby kick for the first time.  It was an awesome feeling.  Now that I know what it feels like I think I might have felt very light kicks before, but I just didn't realize that was it.

• "We got the Britax B-Safe car seat and B-Agile stroller during Target's sale"

We have the B-Agile all geared up and ready to go in the boys closet.  We currently use the snap and go with the car seat he has now, so by time we get the next car seat the stroller will be good to go.

I can't wait to use that one!

"Over the weekend I felt the baby kick for the first time."

Now put a cell phone or laptop on her stomach and watch the show.  The electronic hum gets them all worked up in there, and you will see the phone literally jump up!

Be flexible....and support your wife.

I've learned that it's best to do what ever you need to do to get through the season you are in. So many blogs/books/people want to tell you what worked for them, but that doesn't mean it's going to work for you. My kid can have a paci, bottle and breast and he is fine going back and forth. He likes to sleep on his stomach and mostly burrowed into my armpit in the middle of the night, oh well. It works so we are good.

3) Not a whole lot new. Kid and wife are doing well. I'm hoping my son starts to sit-up or roll over more frequently...but I don't want to pressure him.

4) I'm turning 32 tomorrow...nothing exciting happening with that. I'm hoping to catch up on sleep and eat some great food.

5) The Superbowl is this weekend. That's it, I won't watch it and I don't really do sports, but there are a lot of sports fans here so I thought I would mention it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • David....

Jake was home two days this week with a fever and all he did was sleep in my armpit the whole time.

Love it!!!!

My dad told me that in the grand scheme that you will always be last.  Which I ttruly believe and live by.  My wife and my boys come first in everything I do.  I will do whatever i can to take care of them first, and if there is anything left for me or not, so be it.

Ive learned that when you are taking care of 2 kids under the best advice is to create a distraction for the older one so you can focus on the other one and vice-versa.  When im tending to the youngest, I either enlist the help of the older so that feel like he is being focused on as well so you kill 2 birds with one stone.  If he is not interested, make sure you have a favorite toy or electronic device. For my oldest its either Barney on Demand, or Kid apps on my iPhone.

3. We are in the midst of redoing our youngest sons room, we spent the last 2 weeks removing wallpaper, now we are on to the second phase and thats putting paint primer on the wall.  After that we will finish the final piece by painting the walls.

4. My wife's maternity leave is almost over and we are still trying to determine whether to have her go back to work and i take leave for 16 weeks.  She is a teacher so when the school yera is done my leave will be done so we dont have to look for daycare or a sitter for the boys.  But we are dealing with financial pressures and cant figure out whats the best option for us.

5. Super Bowl is sun so you would expect the normal person to be hosting people or going over to a friends house for the festivities.  Nah not me, im a father so i will pause the game because kickoff starts when we our in the process of getting the boys for bath and bed, so my phone will be off so no one can call or text me while the game is on until i catch up to it live.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1) If you are cold he is cold, if you are warm he is warm.

2) If he is sleeping, let him sleep.

3) Our kid has been getting double ear infections lately

4) I have been teaching him to help get the milk out

5) He has a high threshold of pain just like his dad

• imageladyjenna13:

David....

Jake was home two days this week with a fever and all he did was sleep in my armpit the whole time.

Love it!!!!

Ha! It is kinda awesome, but I worry that he smells like my deodorant in mornings...at least he goes to school smelling manly!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"