Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Encouraging a pacifier addiction?

My 7 week old doesn't consistently want to nap in his crib. He was good about doing it for about a week, but lately he won't stay down for long even though I try everyday. He's starting daycare next week and me holding him won't be an option. Yesterday I tried giving him the pacifier when he woke up and it allowed him to stick it out for awhile longer. I don't want the pacifier to become a necessity for sleep, but I also would love for him to nap in his crib. Should I just keep up the "whatever works" attitude of getting a newborn to sleep or am I setting myself up for pacifier reinsertions all night in the future? We used the binkie for my daughter as a newborn and it was great until she was 4 months and then we were up all of the time popping it back in. I'd like to avoid that this time around...Any advice or experience would be great!

Re: Encouraging a pacifier addiction?

• Options
    When DD1 was in the hospital a nurse gave her a pacifier after she had nursed for two hours and I was exhausted. I was nervous and asked if I should allow that and she said, "just don't let me see her with it after her 1st birthday". It really is good advice. You are the parent, if you don't want your child to have a pacifier after age one, then don't let them have it, but I wouldn't worry yourself at all about it right now. These first few months of parenting are all about survival. Go easy on yourself.
    Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We've used a paci with our LO whenever she wanted it since she was born. She tends to want it at nap time, but she has never wanted it at night time because that's a different routine and she doesn't seem to need it then. Maybe just offer it at nap time and not at night?

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DS (my first) never wanted a pacifier, and while I will say it was nice not to have to break the habit...I'm still offering it to DD now.  I've learned that they there will always be some habit to break no matter how hard you try!

I agree with the "not past one" rule, though. With bottles, too.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    Four months is a watershed age -- thats when they can start to get "spoiled" or get used to something. I would try to stop paci use around 3.5 months, but before that time, LO wont get addicted. Same goes with constant holding.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My DD loves her paci when she's falling asleep, but she lets it fall out when she's really asleep. For naps, I give it to her as she's drifting, but then take it away when she is out. If she wakes, I'll try to give it again, but only during the day, she doesn't get it again at night, nOr does she want it.

I say, let him have it for naps and discourage it at night, but honestly, do whatever it takes in order for everyone to get sleep! 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"