Babies on the Brain
Options

Amoxicillin rash

Well, I guess DD is following in my amoxicillin allergy.  She has a red, itchy rash all over her body, including her face.  :(

Pedi said her double ear infection (1st ear infection ever) is all cleared up, so she doesn't need any other antibiotics, but she is on children's benadryl & children's zyrtec for at least the next 48 hours and "as needed" after that.

ETA:  I should note that she is happy & playing now.  Definitely not as itchy thanks to the antihistamines.  It just looks terrible now and is mildly itchy.  Daycare reports that she is doing good.

Re: Amoxicillin rash

• Options
    Aww poor little one :( I hope she feels better soon!
  • Options

imagehenglish85:
    That sucks! I'm always nervous about my girls having a reaction to something. How quickly did the rash start?

Well, she got a totally different rash after her 2nd dose of it last week that was just on the backs of her hands.  I called the pedi right away and they sort of dismissed it and said it didn't sound like the "normal" amoxicillin rash.  That rash faded after a day and I kept giving her the doses.  This new rash started as just a few spots on her tummy & back after the 14th dose out of 20.  A few hours later, it was all over her whole body and itchy.

I guess that is sort of typical.  The rash can start sometime after 72 hours of use or even later.  She only had 6 doses left.

The rash is exactly like the one I got when I was around 10 or so that determined my amox allergy.  Mine was after my last dose.  Although, I don't remember getting the spots all over my face like DD.  I definitely remember it being on my trunk.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Poor kiddo. Glad she's over her ear infection and feeling less itchy.

I have a penicillin allergy and I'm scared of C reacting like I did as a kid. But he hasn't had an ear infection yet, knock on wood!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    Poor thing! At least you can give her benedryl. It turns G into a screaming, hyper, hysterical mess. I least we figured it out at home.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"