Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Brushing teeth

My DD has her two bottom front teeth.  Trying to brush them is like trying to give a cat a pill.  The dentist said brush them with a soft toothbrush, no toothpaste, and others have said a wet washcloth is fine.  Either way it seems impossible.  Any tips? 

Re: Brushing teeth

• We use a little finger tip brush. it works really well. We just go over her gums right now cause she has no teeth yet.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DD has two bottom teeth as well. We just use a cold wet washcloth during her bathtime to wash out her gums & teeth. She's used to it as a regular part of her routine, so as soon as I hold up the washcloth she opens her mouth. I just put it over my index finger and run it along her top & bottom gums & try to wipe in front of and behind her teeth.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD has six teeth... so we started brushing a week or so ago...

The way that I actually found it works best is when I hold her, brush my teeth and give her her toothbrush (obv watching that she doesn't choke on it but she is in my arms).  She normally just holds it and watches me.  Then when i'm done i put mine away and put a teeny bit of baby toothpaste (no floride) on hers and that usually gets her to open her mouth and taste the toothpaste, that's when I swoop in and give her a lil brush brush!

good luck! 

• We have a zoli stick which I think helped our LO get used to the idea of a toothbrush like object. We have one of those finger toothbrushes and LO just opens his mouth when he sees it coming. I think he likes the little nubs rubbing against his gums (kinda like a teether).
  • Thanks!  Good suggestions.  Sounds like I should get one of the finger toothbrushes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"