November 2012 Moms
Options

Baby Dedication

Although DH and I were not church going adults we both grew up going to church as kids and believe it is important to raise our daughter the same way and to learn about God in that environment. We have selected a Christian Church to be our new home because of their awesome kid programs and great reviews from tons of people.

They don't baptize babies as they believe you should be baptize under your will and when you are able to choose yourself. Instead they do a dedication. This is my first experience with a baby dedication so I am curious about a few things.

Do the babies wear white gowns still? (This is a casual mega church environment) Do you still have a party with friends and family afterwards? What are your experiences?

Re: Baby Dedication

• Options
    We just had LO dedicated Sunday. I was raised Catholic, but we are now in the same church environment as you and LOVE it. My church is not a mega church though. The dedication was incredibly casual and not really a big deal. We received a little Bible and a rose from the deaconesses. The Pastor said a short blessing while we stood up front with 4 other families. I "dressed" LO up, but it definitely isn't a baptism gown kind of event. We did not have any kind of celebration after. We will plan a reception if and when DS and DD decide to be baptized.

I would call your church's secretary and ask what to expect.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    For M's dedication we just dressed him up in a cute collared shirt onesie and khaki pants. You could always ask the pastor if there is a dress code. I think the Catholic Churches have a bigger ceremony because they do baptism and might be dressier. My church does not baptize babies either so the dedication was much shorter and probably not as formal.
    Photobucket
    "For this child I prayed; and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of him:"
    -1 Samuel 1:27 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had baby dedication these past Sunday. I just dressed DD in a pretty pink dress with a bow (see sig pic). They gave us a bible for her. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"