Stay at home Dads — The Bump
Dads & Dads-to-be

Stay at home Dads

Is anyone on this board a stay at home Dad or planning on being one once the baby arrives? We haven't decided yet but my husband staying home is an option until he is able to find a full-time job with benefits. He currently works 2 part-time jobs (he's always a hard worker) but right now, I carry the benefits.

What do you like/dislike (if anything) about being a stay at home Dad? Do you find yourself naturally wanting to work full-time and have your wife stay home instead so you can provide financially for your family? Did your wife have a hard time adjusting to this? Thanks in advance.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Stay at home Dads

• I've been a SAHD for 7 months.  I like the pace of the day for the most part - and definitely no dull moments.  I get a lot done during the day and still get out of the house a few nights a week with my "job" as a high school referee.

We realized well before LO arrived that the best scenario for us was for me to stay home.  With all of the daily tasks I can get done above and beyond taking care of our daughter, I don't feel bad or guilty that I'm staying home.

there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think you should feel bad about staying home! I love the idea of my husband staying home with our daughter, but I know it's going to be very hard for me to leave them each morning when I go back to work. It will definitely keep my husband busy because he'll be working 3-4 nights at a restaraunt just to bring in some kind of income. Even though it's right in town and they're short shifts, it's still going to be a lot for him being with the baby all day, maintaining the house, making dinner, etc. and having to work.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not a stay at home dad, but I can say that if my wife made enough money and carried quality benefits, I would be open to being a stay at home dad.  I have my son 2 days a week by myself now, and sure, sometimes it can be stressful, but I am very glad to get that one on one time (soon to be one on two) with my boy(s).  It is definitely in the minority, and it can be hard to find people in which you can relate at times from what I've seen and heard.

If the wages from his 2 part time jobs would essentially cover the cost of daycare for your child, staying home (at least for a while perhaps, as a trial run) would be a solid option.

• I've been on disability since '09, our LO is on the way in March. So I pretty much have to be a stahd. I'm very much looking forward to it, it's got kind of boring over the past couple years and I miss working. I'm sure there will be no dull moments, as said above.

If his 2 jobs would barely cover daycare and not much more, I would think it would be more rewarding for him to stay at home, no stress from the job(s) and be able to see all of his son's firsts.

• imageJacksDad:

I've been on disability since '09, our LO is on the way in March. So I pretty much have to be a stahd. I'm very much looking forward to it, it's got kind of boring over the past couple years and I miss working. I'm sure there will be no dull moments, as said above.

If his 2 jobs would barely cover daycare and not much more, I would think it would be more rewarding for him to stay at home, no stress from the job(s) and be able to see all of his son's firsts.

THIS!!

• I am a Realtor by night and a stay at home dad by day. My wife is a teacher.  We take her to day care twice a week just for me to get some work done.  Its a lot of work trying to balance both.  My daughter is 4 months.  It was easier when at first but now she is more active.  At first I was looking for something to do. But the daddy instinct did kick in and all I wanted to do was WORK!   So I started selling Advocare products just to pass the time.  So far it is working out really good.  If anyone wants more information on it, I can definitely help out. 

www.advocare.com/130116900 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards