May 2011 Moms
Options

Would you be worried?

Ok so I havent been on here in a very long time...My son was born 5/29/11 and he is doing really well except for the fact that he DOES NOT talk!?!? He was saying a few words (ma, da, dog, ball and a variation of "Davey"- his big bro) but now he is not talking AT ALL!!!! they say he is tongue tied but when we took him to the dentist they wanted to wait til March to snip it so he would be big enough for anesthesia...but also that they arent positive that thats y hes not talking!?! i have asked if it could be his hearing cause he will completely "ignore" us and not respond but if i say turn on barney he will come as soon as the music starts playing so i really dont know what to think or do...at this point im 38 wks pregnant with #3 and they said if he hasnt made any progress by the time i make LO's 1st appt to make him one also and they will look further into it!?! i mean he babbles on n on like hes talking in full sentences but NO words...any advice??
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Would you be worried?

• Options
    I'm not sure on the specifics of milestones, and my own DS has been slow on that department, but I would say if you are concerned get him to be evaluated.
  • Options
    He should be evaluated ASAP. Regression in speech is a huge red flag and I'm surprised they haven't pushed the issue with you just because of that factor alone. 

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    im the one thats been pushing the issue they r all just kinda acting like its not a big deal....i am gonna have them do the hearing test and when we take him back to the dentist i am having his tongue tie snipped...and they said if he hasnt made any progress that they will send him to some kind of speech dr!?!?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imagelawson_in_training10:
    im the one thats been pushing the issue they r all just kinda acting like its not a big deal....i am gonna have them do the hearing test and when we take him back to the dentist i am having his tongue tie snipped...and they said if he hasnt made any progress that they will send him to some kind of speech dr!?!?

Right, he will go to a speech pathologist for an evaluation to determine if he is actually behind or not.

Are you sure the dentist will clip the tie? Ours needs to be done by an ENT.  

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    yeah im sure the dentist will do it...hes a pediatric dentist n hes actually the only one in the area that would do it...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

My LO is exactly the same!  I brought it up with my Pedi and she said she isn't THAT worried but since I was concerned enough to bring it up, she said we can do a hearing test and then a speech evaluation. We have the hearing test on Friday but I don't think there is anything wrong with his hearing.  He will ignore me sometimes, but as soon as he hears Doc McStuffins theme tune he runs to the TV :)

My nephew was a late talker (around 23 months), as was my brother and my DH and they all talk very well now.

GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At our 18 month appointment our pedi told DH that the next thing we should look for is a vocabulary of 20 words.  A lot of the kids around her age at school barely talk too.  With the tongue tie, I'd be overly vigilant though.  Definately keep pursuing your docs if you need to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    While he might be still on the developmental curve, and totally normal, I would ask for an eval. I've heard lots of stories of kids not speaking until after 2, but having some words and losing them would make me nervous enough to push.
    Either way, the eval would give me peace of mind.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"