Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Anyone's preschooler having trouble making friends?

If so, can you share your experience and what helped?

Apparently DD doesnt interact much with the kids at preschool.  Not sure if she's shy, nervous, whatever or if its something more.

TIA

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone's preschooler having trouble making friends?

• Options
    Have you talked to her teacher? I think it's "normal" at 3 years 10 months to not really have "friends" yet. At our preschool "conferences" DD's teacher said the kids mostly still play side-by-side more than truly together, and they don't buddy up much yet. She said they do more of that in the second semester when more kids are over age 4.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DS plays well with the kids in his class, but hasn't seemed to form an attachment to anyone in particular. I'm not too concerned since his teacher says he's social and doing fine.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageSpin313:
    DS plays well with the kids in his class, but hasn't seemed to form an attachment to anyone in particular. I'm not too concerned since his teacher says he's social and doing fine.

This is us too.  DS2 turns 4 this month.  He plays with the kids at daycare fine but does not have 'friends' that he wants to invite over to the house at this point.  He has one friend that he asks for to come to visit/play, but that friend lives 2 hours away and playdates with her only occur every other month or so.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    I don't know if my kid is off based on the other responses but at 3 yrs 9 months, he definitely has "friends" he "prefers".  There are three friends in particular that he talks about and I think from what I can gather, he plays with a good amount.  Not that he doesn't play with other friends, just that he does seem to have his preferences.  DS is a pretty shy kid so maybe he just gravitates to those he feels comfortable with, I'm not sure.  He is also fine playing by himself with his imaginary football games or whatever so I think he's a kid that is ok doing his own thing and also plays with friends.  His teacher has told me that they do all play pretty well together but they also do pair up some.  However, at this age, I'm not super worried about his "friends".  I figure in PreK or even Kindie is where this stuff really starts.  (Not so much looking forward to the drama of it either - feelings hurt, etc).  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My preschooler is the same way.  He's so lively and chatty at home and did have one good friend last year in the 3 year old classroom.  His teacher this year said he isn't as interested in the other kids, but recently has broken out of his shell and plays more with the boys.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"