April 2013 Moms
Options

Baby shower?

This is our second, but this time it's a girl and born at the opposite time of year. So nearly all of DS's old clothes obviously won't work. If we were living closer to home my mom would be throwing a baby shower. But we're military and a very long drive away. :( So there probably won't be a shower this time around. Yes I know a 2nd shower is sometimes considered tacky, but being the opposite sex this time I know it's a bit more common. With DS we were living back home, not with family, and were thrown 2 showers. Just feels like, in a way, this baby gets gipped a bit and less celebrated? Anyone else wishing they were getting a shower? Even if just for the fun of it? 

"You get in the bowl." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Baby shower?

• Options
    Personally, I think that if the 2nd (or more) baby is a different sex than a "sprinkle" is appropriate. Unfortunately, unless someone offers to have one for you, you're just out of luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options

imagekimmarie1105:
    Personally, I think that if the 2nd (or more) baby is a different sex than a "sprinkle" is appropriate. Unfortunately, unless someone offers to have one for you, you're just out of luck! 

I honestly don't know what a 'Sprinkle' is.. never heard of them either here or back home..

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagecrunchymnm:

imagekimmarie1105:

I honestly don't know what a 'Sprinkle' is.. never heard of them either here or back home..

A sprinkle is just a name for a smaller shower for a second child.  I don't nkow why there is a separate name.

But what PP said is right -- if nobody offers to throw you anything, then that's that.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I know that military families make close friends, and that they love to celebrate pregnancies and new babies. Maybe you have a close friend that will be excited to throw one for you. Hope it comes up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagecrunchymnm:

imagekimmarie1105:

It is a smaller shower. So they cal it a sprinkle instead. Its more intimate in size and get smaller ticket items to fill in the different gender blanks so to speak.  

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    imagekimmarie1105:
    imagecrunchymnm:

imagekimmarie1105:

It is a smaller shower. So they cal it a sprinkle instead. Its more intimate in size and get smaller ticket items to fill in the different gender blanks so to speak.  

Oooh gotcha. :)

And along the other responses, I wouldn't throw myself a shower or ask anyone too of course. More tact than that here lol, just a wishful venting post is all.

• Options
    What about asking your mom to throw you a gift card shower? Since you can't go home for a shower, people can "shower you with love" via gift card. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    A sprinkle seems like a good idea if someone offers to throw you one. I say this only because you already have the big stuff you really just need clothes. Or I would assume that is basically all you would need. But then again I don't know the situation. I use the word need, because there may be stuff you want but possibly do not need. Good Luck!
    IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    imagekshumbera:
    What about asking your mom to throw you a gift card shower? Since you can't go home for a shower, people can "shower you with love" via gift card. 

Do NOT do this. And don't ask anybody to throw you a shower. I personally wouldn't want a second shower because the only things that you NEED is most likely stuff you already have ex: bottles, diapers, crib etc. having pink clothes is not a necessity and if you have to have them, I'm sure people will get them for you even if you don't have a shower and baby clothes aren't that expensive. You could purchase them yourself.

Also, I can imagine after one child and the accumulation of toys and other junk I would run out of room to have ANOTHER shower and get all these things again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagekshumbera:

Eek, sorry this is very tacky, don't do this! I agree with pps - you have to wait and see if someone offers. If someone offers, then I'd do a sprinkle - only with close family and friends.  

• Options

I'm in a similar boat as far as clothing goes... had a boy in December and expecting a girl in April so the clothing doesn't really translate to much reuse. 

I have no idea if anyone is planning to throw me a shower or "sprinkle" (I am compelled to say that I've NEVER heard of that term ever before) but am not really bummed about it.  Sure, there are things that I plan to buy for this baby and she will need clothes but to me I'm fine buying things myself since I am the one that chose to have a baby.  I don't feel like this baby is any less celebrated, it's just that we already have most of what we need for a baby and can celebrate this baby in other ways.

I may be in the minority on this, but I feel a little weird when my friends and family buy gifts to support my life choices -- i.e. baby and wedding showers.  I know they shower us because they're celebrating with us and I love celebrating with them but... I feel a little guilty I guess.  Maybe it's because I'm really the only one so far out of my friends and my generation of the family that is married and having babies (a couple others are married but not many) so it's like the parties have all been for me.  I digress.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    This is our 2nd, and while it is another boy, we got rid of a lot of things since we moved last April. So yes we have a crib, and travel system. There are other items that we don't have. I don't know if a shower/sprinkle is going to be thrown, but I think it would be fun just to get together with my family. I would not expect gifts. And even if they did feel obligated, I would love to get diapers. You can always use those.
    ~Spryte~
    Proud c/s Mama to Killian 2-8-10
    Griffin Edward due by RCS on 4-16-13
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

In my opinion, having a second shower is alright (well in most situations )

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"