Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Flying with Baby

Hi all, FTM here -

I have been invited to a friend's out-of-state wedding 2 months after my LO is due to arrive. I was wondering if you all had any tips for flying with a 2 month old? My husband will be traveling with me and will be able to help. It's quite a ways away so we are likely to have at least one lay-over (2 take-offs and landings).

Any advice on how to keep baby from having ear pain and crying the whole time? Someone suggested feeding during take-off and landing... Does that work?

Also, I know I will need to check with the airline about additional costs.

For once we get there - Did you take your car seat from your car? Or do you have a travel one? Any other 'must have' items I should bring?

Thank so much!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flying with Baby

• Options

We just flew with our 3 month old. It was fine. We did have a nonstop flight, which lessened the chance of drama.

We bought him a seat and put his carseat in it (regular seat; we needed it for the rental car anyway and I felt better knowing it wasn't going to be banged around since we didn't check it). However, he doesn't love his carseat as of late, so I ended up holding him. He slept the whole way.

We had an early flight when he would usually be sleeping. I nursed him in the airport, and nursed him when he woke up at landing while everyone else got off the plane.

I wore him in my wrap through security. It was super easy and great to have my hands free. They just swipe your hands after you go through the screener thing. No big deal.

It was much much easier than I anticipated.  

• Options

We flew with DD when she was almost 6 weeks, and are about to fly again with her. She was absolutely fine during the takeoffs and landings. I too had read to feed them during those times so I was all prepared and ready, but nope, it wasn't necessary! She slept most of the time through the first airport, then ate a bit when we first boarded, but by the time we took off she was sleeping and slept through the whole flight, landing included.

We had a 3 hour layover, which actually turned out to work in our benefit. By that point she had woken up and was able to get a nice long feeding session in. She also got changed as soon as we landed and once again before we boarded. She had her awake time and was slightly fussy, and by the time we boarded the second flight, she was ready to sleep again.

We flew with her on my lap, and there was no additional cost. It depends on which airline you fly, so definitely check, but I believe if your LO is flying on your lap there aren't additional fees. Excepts are international flights I think.

We brought DD's car seat and base from our travel car as we only have one. We carried her through security and the airport in it, and she loved it. We gate checked the car seat, and that was nice to have it just right there for us. I hadn't known I could wear her through security though, and we will definitely be doing that next time.

I would also check about baggage allowances. We are flying American Air this trip, and according to the people that I spoke with over the phone, since I'll be flying with DD in my lap, I'm allowed an extra carry on bag at no charge. This is super convenient as I hate to check bags. When we flew before on Delta though, there was no extra baggage allowance.

The only downside is to keep in mind how many people are flying. In my case, two adults and DD, that's a lot of bags to for us to be carrying, plus DD through security and the terminals. It was kind of a hassle last time without the extra bag.

Also, if you breastfeed, bring a small pillow or blanket for support when you nurse. I found this to come in handy a lot! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"