C-sections

Those who had a RCS, lots of questions

I'm early, but I'm also a planner and want to talk with my OB tomorrow. I have to have a RCS, a VBAC is not an option. So I have some questions for you.

1. Was the RCS easier then the inital CS?

2. Did anyone deal with itching about 3 hours after cs? I had horrible itching, to a point where I was breaking skin. Lasted for about 6 hours. I had this long lasting morphine drip directly into my epi and I'm told that was what the cause was. I'm not interested in going through that again, that was worse (for me) then dealing with the pain.

3. Did you find difficulty taking care of your older child after the RCS? Any suggestions on what I can do to prepare her/me for the recovery. DD will be 3.

4. Did the RCS, is there any further scars or did the OB go right over the first one? Not a vain question, just wondering how others were done.

Thanks!  

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

Re: Those who had a RCS, lots of questions

• 1. Was the RCS easier then the inital CS?  much!! no stressing or worrying. I just woke up in the morning and went to the hospital.

2. Did anyone deal with itching about 3 hours after cs? i don't remember this..

3. Did you find difficulty taking care of your older child after the RCS? Nope. It wasnt difficult. She just didn't like that I couldn't pick her up. My DD was 21 months old.

4. Did the RCS, is there any further scars or did the OB go right over the first one? My OB went right over the first one and she even cleaned it up a bit. My scar isn't bad at all!

BFP 11/20/2012. Missed MC on 12/26/2012.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would have LOVED to VBAC, but it was never an option for me. That being said:

1. Was the RCS easier then the inital CS? I've had 4 c/s. My 4th was my EASIEST and FASTEST c/s. #2 and #3 were pretty similar to #1.

2. Did anyone deal with itching about 3 hours after cs? I was itchy this time around, but nothing terrible. Not on my scar though - just all over itchy from the spinal.

3. Did you find difficulty taking care of your older child after the RCS? No, not really. I felt like myself almost when I got home. i've run the gamut of ages at home - I've had an 18 month old, then the next time a 3YO AND a 19 month old and this time, a 6 yo, a 5yo and a 3yo.......just take care of your older child first and set them up while you tend to the baby.

4. Did the RCS, is there any further scars or did the OB go right over the first one? It's been the same incision every time. I don't have a lot of scar tissue or adhesions considering I've had 4 c/s's.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • I think #2 was so much easier than the first. I didn't have any itching but I totally think it was due to the morphine. Morphine is known to do that to people.

I didn't have a harder time taking care of my older daughter. My husband was home the first 2 weeks and by the time he went back to work I was healing very well.

They went over the previous incesion. However the doc did have a harder time seeing my previous one as the scar on me is very light.

GL

• 1. Was the RCS easier then the inital CS? About the same

2. Did anyone deal with itching about 3 hours after cs? Yup

3. Did you find difficulty taking care of your older child after the RCS? Dunno

4. Did the RCS, is there any further scars or did the OB go right over the first one? Went right over the old one

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Yup I was ridiculously itchy for 3 DAYS pp. Ask for benadryl or an IV med that helps with that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imagemissyjg:

I'm early, but I'm also a planner and want to talk with my OB tomorrow. I have to have a RCS, a VBAC is not an option. So I have some questions for you.

So much easier and actually enjoyable.  We were joking and laughing with our Docs and nurses.

2. Did anyone deal with itching about 3 hours after cs? I had horrible itching, to a point where I was breaking skin. Lasted for about 6 hours. I had this long lasting morphine drip directly into my epi and I'm told that was what the cause was. I'm not interested in going through that again, that was worse (for me) then dealing with the pain.

I was itchy for a couple hrs after but I was told it was from my spinal. 

3. Did you find difficulty taking care of your older child after the RCS? Any suggestions on what I can do to prepare her/me for the recovery. DD will be 3.

Not at all.  My DS is also 3 I just explained to him that Mama had an owie and I couldn't pick him up.  He was actually a really big help. 

4. Did the RCS, is there any further scars or did the OB go right over the first one? Not a vain question, just wondering how others were done.

Ob went right over the first scar and actually made it look better than it was...BONUS!  lol

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemissyjg:

So much easier and actually enjoyable.  We were joking and laughing with our Docs and nurses.

I was itchy for a couple hrs after but I was told it was from my spinal. 

Not at all.  My DS is also 3 I just explained to him that Mama had an owie and I couldn't pick him up.  He was actually a really big help. 

Ob went right over the first scar and actually made it look better than it was...BONUS!  lol

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!

• 1. Was the RCS easier then the initial CS? Yes and No! I had a traumatic experience with my first c/s so I was very nervous prior to and during my repeat C-section. I had no issues with the first time around, this time around it was a little rougher. I had a toddler at home, did to much and was in a lot of pain. Overall though the experience was a lot better than my first.

2. Did anyone deal with itching about 3 hours after cs? I did not have it with my first c/s as I had general. But did have itching with my second. I was told it was due to the spinal. My nurse gave me Nubain (SP) for it but it ended up making me really sick so I just dealt with it until that night then they gave me some IV Benadryl it helped.  

3. Did you find difficulty taking care of your older child after the RCS? No I did not have trouble taking care of my almost 2 year old, but I did over do it and ended up back in the ER for pain. In the end I just realized that the only thing I could do was take care of the kids and nothing more. Including doing the laundry and taking short walks. 

4. Did the RCS, is there any further scars or did the OB go right over the first one? It was done right over my old scar. However it does look a lot worse this time then it did last time. I did not have any steri strips this time around and had light bandages on because I am allergic to the tape adhesive on most bandages and the steri strips which I was told helped keep the scar look nice.

• 1. Recovery is a bit easier, but actual surgery was a little tougher. I was scared and minded the pressure (LO was breech though).

2. I was crazy itchy. I didn't have that the first time. I have marks all over my body from me digging. They put meds in my IV to help with that.

3. This is my first day home, so not much help here. DH has already made arrangements that i won't be alone with DS for 6 weeks due to lifting.

4. Used same incision.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1. repeat CS are easier, you know what to expect.

2. itching is very common from morphine epidurals.  They can use other meds though which might not cause that itching.

3. taking care of LO after is always a challenge, explain to them that mommy can't pick you up for awhile, but they can come sit on your lap gently and that you will be needing their help.

4. most docs go over same scar, some will even cut it out so it's less noticable but you will have to ask them for this.

• 1. Was the RCS easier then the inital CS? The whole process was easier, I was able to prepare myself for it, emotionally and physically I was stronger and instead of being rushed from a labor room into surgery things were so much smoother.2. Did anyone deal with itching about 3 hours after cs? YES!!! I thought I was going crazy but I itched like CRAZY the entire time I was on my epi morphine, as soon as it was out I was fine. They did give me medication to reduce the itching but it only helped a bit.3. Did you find difficulty taking care of your older child after the RCS? Only in respect to lifting, she wanted Mommy to hold her and I couldn't do that. Thankfully Grammy helped out a ton.4. Did the RCS, is there any further scars or did the OB go right over the first one? I have two...because of a rash I developed after applying the pre surgery soap thingy they refused to cut in the normal spot, so I have a lovely scar just below my belly button. 
  • 1. Was the RCS easier then the inital CS?

I don't think so I think it was worse, but I think it was b/c I had a toddler to chase after.  This time they are older and more self sufficiant so I think that will help

2. Did anyone deal with itching about 3 hours after cs?

I didn't have any itching with my first 2.  I'm not sure how it will work with a spinal this time around, I will be asking the anest. for sure.  

3. Did you find difficulty taking care of your older child after the RCS? 

Yes, I had a running toddler, which is why I think it took longer for me to heal. 

4. Did the RCS, is there any further scars or did the OB go right over the first one?

Right over the first one.  You still can't see my scar and I've had 2 c/s. 

Pregnancy Ticker image image image
  • I'm so glad you asked this, because I have a RCS scheduled for December 28th.  However, I am all of a sudden itching after reading these posts Big Smile

I am most nervous about the itching, that was the worst part last time.  It was so bad, I rubbed the skin off the top of my feet from using one foot to scratch the other.

I do hope it is easier around this time since there is no previous laboring involved and just knowing what to expect has to make it easier, right?

GL to you!!

• imagemissyjg:

Both of mine were very easy;  I was more relaxed the second time around since I knew what to expect.

I had that horrible itching too with my first.  I told them before the RCS and I didnt have it;  not sure what they changed/I never asked 

DD was 22 mos;   DH stayed home the first week and my mom came the second week--I was good to go on my own the 3rd week.  We bought DD a present from the baby  (her own baby, high chair, crib) so she could care of her baby while I took care of the new baby 

Right over the first! 

Thanks!  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I have not had my rcs yet but would like to say I had a very bad reaction to my epidural the first time around with itching.

this time around they will not put the narcotics into my spinal. I can take them orally and not have that reaction.  I rather be in a it more pain then deal with that itching. But my reaction was extreme. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagemissyjg:

1. Was the RCS easier then the inital CS? It was easier in that i knew what to expect, what to talk to my doctor about and what I was going to feel like afterwards. 

2. Did anyone deal with itching about 3 hours after cs? I had horrible itching, to a point where I was breaking skin. Lasted for about 6 hours. I had this long lasting morphine drip directly into my epi and I'm told that was what the cause was. I'm not interested in going through that again, that was worse (for me) then dealing with the pain. I had it with our second for about 4 hours after...  they said it was from the spinal. 

3. Did you find difficulty taking care of your older child after the RCS? Any suggestions on what I can do to prepare her/me for the recovery. DD will be 3.  DD did better than I expected with me not able to pick her up as much.  I did pick her up more than i should have though.  So, just beware of that.   

4. Did the RCS, is there any further scars or did the OB go right over the first one? Not a vain question, just wondering how others were done. He went right over my first scar. 

Thanks!  Good luck!

• I want to say thank you for her and myself, these questions helped me also. I am due to have a RCS in the end of February but not sure if it will be sooner than we want again. I know that the answers have helped me also.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"