Maine Babies

Do you let your baby watch tv?

I know it's supposed to be bad until they are 2, but we do have ours on a lot. I would go crazy without sometimes! Anyways, Aidan is showing a real interest in it...I'm sure it's the lights, movement, colors, sounds, etc...What do you ladies do with your babies and tv?
Aidan Jake 7/25/08 Cooper Cole 7/27/10 Tessa Morgan 8/9/12

Re: Do you let your baby watch tv?

• I am guilty of it too. And she loves it. At some point I might try to limit it and turn the tv off more during the day but these first 6 weeks I've been on survival mode and yes, the tv has been on A LOT.
  • i'm guilty too. if it's making her happy. i leave it. i figure the lights?
    & voices are stimulating her as much as music does. right?
  • Loading the player...
  • We leave it CNN throughout the day for background noise, and if we would let him, he'd definitely watch.  We just always keep his back turned to it. 

:-)

• We have it on but just never have her facing it.  She does love it though and we catch her trying to turn around to see it or when we go out to eat at a casual dining place she will try to watch it.  We just move her so she can't see it.
    Janine image image image
  • When I'm home alone w/her during the day, I watch a little news in the morning, the Price is Right, & Oprah.  Otherwise it's off until DH comes home & even then we only watch a show or two in the evening.  I have noticed her turning her head to look at it, so we try to keep her facing away.  I also feel a little better in the fact that most of what we watch is on DVR, so at least no comercials.

Of course, I'm also worried about her looking at my laptop screen too & I'm on the nest & FB a lot...

• Anderson REALLY likes 'Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team'....he takes after his daddy already with his liking of cheerleaders (says the former cheerleader, lol).  I was watching it on Saturday and he was obsessed with watching the TV.  I picked him up and turned him to face me and he was craning his neck back toward the screen.  I'm not worried about it.   I mean, it's not like I strap him in a bouncy chair facing the TV all day long, a few minutes here and there I'm not going to stress over.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • are you not supposed to let them watch tv because of a physical thing?  because right now, with the babies being so young, it's just a stimulant to them (IMO)

we had avery watching football yesterday, robert was proud. 

• The TV is on around him, but I don't usually let him look at it.  He's in his chair, on his playmat, or nursing, so he doesn't have a good angle.  Sometimes when I'm holding him, the TV catches his eye, but for the most part he'd rather stare at faces.  Go figure.
  • No.  I dont see any good reason to let him watch it.  I do keep it on, but as soon as I notice him watching it I will turn it off and play with him. 
  • Here's some interesting info about kids & TV: https://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/family/tv_affects_child.html

Also, IMHO, I think TV watching contributes to ADHD b/c everything shifts so fast during commercials or from one "story" on a cartoon to another.  Just my 2 cents though...

• Nope, if it's on, we make sure she's turned away from it.  I'm hoping I can keep her from watching anything until after she's two. 
  • imageLovelifeinthesouth:
    Nope, if it's on, we make sure she's turned away from it.  I'm hoping I can keep her from watching anything until after she's two. 
    I agree with this.
  • We watch tv at night together, but she is usually fast asleep on DH's chest by that point.  If she is awake, she rarely shows intrest in it.  I don't think she'd want to watch it even if I wanted her to. We don't purposely keep her from watching it, she just shows no intrest. She would rather lay in her swing and listen to music than stare at the tv...I have an abnormal kid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"