Adoption
Options

A slew of questions

So, I've got a slew of questions tonight and while I'll ask my agency, I believe in crowdsourcing.

Can someone re-explain for me the difference between surrender and termination of parental rights? (I'm sure a lawyer explained this but I got lots of info thrown at me over the past weekend)

Is there anyway to arrange for temporary care in the interim between surrender and birth? In other words, I understand that BM's have a ton of rights (and rightly so) but as a PAP can I say "I really don't want to meet the baby until after the BM surrenders (even if I'm planning on having an open adoption etc.) 

Can anyone point me towards recent statistics on number of attempted adoptions vs. finalized adoptions? The closest I can find are 10 years old and not super specific. 

Thanks everyone. 

M

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: A slew of questions

• Options
    I think temporary care before TPR is set in stone, or if it's a legal risk situation, is standard practice for some agencies. I've heard it called "cradle care," but our agency calls it "transitional care."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't know if this is the "official" definition/distinction, but to me surrender means the BPs voluntarily sign TPR, while TPR is a more broad term that covers both voluntary and involuntary termination of parental rights. For example, DD's BM voluntarily signed TPR, but the courts did TPR for her BF (he was identified, he just wanted nothing to do with it).

I have heard of cradle care, which is basically transitional care until the child comes to you. I'd ask your agency if they have it available. I don't know if you can request it.

No help on the adoption statistics. Your agency should have their own stats for that--ours did. I don't know if you can get a lot of information from national data on that, since I would assume it may be a function of how you're going about your adoption (independent, law firm, agency) and some may have higher/lower rates.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Surrender means that the parents are voluntarily terminating their rights. I don't know if there is a way to do an interim care since you are doing an open adoption or not.  I know with foster care there is, the baby would go to an emergency placement temporarily.  These are questions for your lawyer.  Good Luck.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"