October 2011 Moms

GTKY- accents

I spent 10 years working in a call center and I think I am pretty good at picking up accents by different states or Canadian accents.  So, sometimes I wonder about some of you... do you have an accent?

Someone from the north would probably say I have one, but I think for Georgia my southern accent is not that strong.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GTKY- accents

• I am a California girl but have lived in Idaho for the last 10 years. My relatives in NY all think I have an accent. I know that they are the ones with the accent, not me!! Stick out tongue
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think the Philly/South Jersey accent is one of the worst American accents, except for maybe the extreme Fargo accent. Ugh. I catch myself swallowing my L's and elongating my consonants sometimes, but I always try to catch myself.

It's funny that most people NOT from the area have no idea that the Philly/S Jersey accent :::gasp::: isn't anything like the Northen Jersey/Long Island/5 Boroughs accent.

ETA: I'm cracking up, I found this YouTube video and it is EXACTLY how people around here speak... well, more pronounced in Philly and parts of Jersey, less extreme down here in DE.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lZFiyd_0
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Loading the player...
  • I have gotten comments on having an accent if I'm on the phone with someone and my one trip to NYC.  I'm from MS so I'm sure I do have a bit of a southern accent.  Southern, not redneck.  There is a big difference. 

• imagelkm2006:
    I have gotten comments on having an accent if I'm on the phone with someone and my one trip to NYC.  I'm from MS so I'm sure I do have a bit of a southern accent.  Southern, not redneck.  There is a big difference

I'm with ya on this one!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Like lkm, I am from MS but live in LA (state) now and have been told I have a pretty thick southern accent. I never give it much thought until someone can't understand certain things I say... and she is right. There is a HUGE difference between a southern drawl and that twangy sound others have Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had my accent coached out of me in years of speech classes.  Because apparently having a NY/Boston accent when you live in PA is a speech impediment.

However, I do slip back into an accent when I'm super tired.  And I do pronounce words differently than most native Californians (like Arrow, Harry, and Tour)

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSuperDeDuper:

Oh yah, fer sure.  You betcha I have an accent.  I talk Minnesotan dontcha know.

ETA:  Linky

Yes, everyone knows I am a minnie-so-dan when I leave the state. We are not as bad as in the movie Fargo though...did I ever tell you that the guy who played the deputy in Fargo was my dad's foster brother?
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Well, yes I have an accent. Most people will not be able to place it though. My German accent is not very thick, I guess.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageNita2603:
    Well, yes I have an accent. Most people will not be able to place it though. My German accent is not very thick, I guess.

I'm imagining you talk like Heidi Klum.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I live in middle Indiana...so I don't think I have much of anything going on.  If you drive a few hours north you start getting the Chicago thing going on.  And a few hours south, the southern shows ;)  Most of the people around here just sound like hicks ;o) 
  • I agree there is a difference between a redneck and southern accent. I have a southern accent, which my IL's tease me about. I am also teased because I call a shopping cart a buggy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageSuperDeDuper:

Oh yah, fer sure.  You betcha I have an accent.  I talk Minnesotan dontcha know.

My entire northern family has a terrible Minnesotan/scandinavian accent.  I'm in Iowa, and we're pretty moderate as far as accents.  Some people have a little bit of a southern tinge to their accent, which I never understood.  I know we're close to Missouri, but we are definitely not the South. 

I used to be a directory assistance operator many years ago, and I always had a difficult time with the bayou folk.  Their accent was nearly impossible to understand. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• I've lived in Michigan my whole life and, even though I don't think I have an accent, DH says I do. My aunt's is really bad! She pronounces bag as bay-g, it's that bad! DH has an Australian accent though. It's pretty sexy ;)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagemorsey2011:
    I agree there is a difference between a redneck and southern accent. I have a southern accent, which my IL's tease me about. I am also teased because I call a shopping cart a buggy.

It is a buggy! And that thing that goes around your beer is a huggie! Beer

• imageMrsTBird:
    I've lived in Michigan my whole life and, even though I don't think I have an accent, DH says I do. My aunt's is really bad! She pronounces bag as bay-g, it's that bad! DH has an Australian accent though. It's pretty sexy ;)

Oh, I like!!!!

• imageamyc216:

imageNita2603:
    Well, yes I have an accent. Most people will not be able to place it though. My German accent is not very thick, I guess.

Like her ugly, short and fat sister!

Seriously though, I need to find her speaking English. Whenever I see anything of her she speaks German!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagepistolannie:

imageMrsTBird:
    I've lived in Michigan my whole life and, even though I don't think I have an accent, DH says I do. My aunt's is really bad! She pronounces bag as bay-g, it's that bad! DH has an Australian accent though. It's pretty sexy ;)

Oh, I like!!!!

Oh, me too! It's gotten pretty Americanized since he's lived here for the past 5+ years so his accent is like a watered down version of what it use to be. It comes back pretty thick when he talks to his family or watches shows like Crocodile Dundee.

• imageSuperDeDuper:

That video is funny!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a wicked bad accent. Even when I went to school out in Western Mass, they kept telling me to say "pahk the cah in the Hahvahd yahd" ... but yea.. I talk like that.

I think this video sums it up lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEm0t5Wc11U 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageNita2603:
    imageamyc216:

imageNita2603:

Like her ugly, short and fat sister! Seriously though, I need to find her speaking English. Whenever I see anything of her she speaks German!

STFU Nita!  More liker bad azz twin!!Wink

I don't have a valley girl accent. hahaha

My Canadian cousin from Mississauga, Canada tells me she likes my accent thought...Huh? 

Blu- I noticed your accent a little bit, I think its cute!

• I have a wicked pissah accent. Wink

Actually I had a really bad Boston accent when I was younger, then I lost it when I went to college (I went to college in Western MA but had a lot of friends from out of state, so it just kind of disappeared.)

Well now I work in my hometown at the high school I went to, so it's definitely coming back because I am surrounded all day by people with very strong Boston accents.

Excuse me while I get a drink at the watah bubblah (water bubbler.)

• imageShannon526:

I have a wicked bad accent. Even when I went to school out in Western Mass, they kept telling me to say "pahk the cah in the Hahvahd yahd" ... but yea.. I talk like that.

This is me too! I love the Boston guys video too..."I'm still drunk, I need a Dunkins." 

• Hey now! lol I'm from So. IN and had a bad southern accent that I didn't know I had until I moved to No.ish IN for college. Where I was teased mercilessly. I've mostly lost it except when I'm sick, tired, fired up about something, or I spend too much time with my family. Haha it's just the way everyone down home talks!

Oops! That was supposed to be quoting anasazi!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagepistolannie:

imagemorsey2011:
    I agree there is a difference between a redneck and southern accent. I have a southern accent, which my IL's tease me about. I am also teased because I call a shopping cart a buggy.

It is a buggy! And that thing that goes around your beer is a huggie! Beer

The shopping cart is definitely a buggy, but the thing that goes around you're beer is a coozie.

• I always thought I spoke pretty normally because I feel like people on TV sound like me. Does that make sense? I grew up in central PA and live an hour north of Philly now. My family is from Pittsburgh though, so they have their own "Pittsburgh-ese" things they say, like pop, spicket, gumbands, nebby, redd up, car warsh, dahntahn, yinz/yunz guys, etc. I don't say any of it though -- and I call it soda Smile

DS born Oct. '11

TTC #2 with PCOS since Nov. '13

Dx: Low Progesterone (3.3) on 8/12/14

Waiting for RE appointment on 10/28/14

Surprise BFP on cycle 12 -- 10/19/14!

EDD July 1, 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am from WA but am constantly asked if I am from North Dakota. I guess working for 4 people from ND and their family manners for five years will do that to you. A lot of time I hear myself saying things with an ND accent and start laughing because it doesn't even sound like the words are coming out of my own mouth. So weird!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Being from Jersey you would probably expect me to have the typical Jersey accent but everyone around here asks me where I grew up even though I live in the same town. 
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • imageNittanyMama:
    I always thought I spoke pretty normally because I feel like people on TV sound like me. Does that make sense? I grew up in central PA and live an hour north of Philly now. My family is from Pittsburgh though, so they have their own "Pittsburgh-ese" things they say, like pop, spicket, gumbands, nebby, redd up, car warsh, dahntahn, yinz/yunz guys, etc. I don't say any of it though -- and I call it soda Smile

You probably say "ruff" and "malk" though. Wink

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagecolleenb262:
    imageShannon526:

I have a wicked bad accent. Even when I went to school out in Western Mass, they kept telling me to say "pahk the cah in the Hahvahd yahd" ... but yea.. I talk like that.

This is me too! I love the Boston guys video too..."I'm still drunk, I need a Dunkins." 

Haha! I haven't seen that video yet.

::runs off to search youtube::

• imageShannon526:
    imagecolleenb262:
    imageShannon526:

I was wondering about your accents. I love it when y'all write 'wicked'! :

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageamyc216:
    imageShannon526:
    imagecolleenb262:
    imageShannon526:

Ha ha!  It's definitely part of my everyday vocabulary! 

Oh and for more accents and Boston shenanigans, this video is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQoTlVgmPK8

• imagecolleenb262:
    imageamyc216:
    imageShannon526:
    imagecolleenb262:
    imageShannon526:

Ha ha!  It's definitely part of my everyday vocabulary! 

Oh and for more accents and Boston shenanigans, this video is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQoTlVgmPK8

Funny! Mahky Mahk's cousin

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope. I am very boring and have no accent.

• imageamyc216:

I never thought I see the word "y'all" and "wicked" in the same sentence haha. Sounds funny!

But yes, I agree with Colleen... definitely part of my everyday vocabulary.

• imageemunbalanced:
    Hey now! lol I'm from So. IN and had a bad southern accent that I didn't know I had until I moved to No.ish IN for college. Where I was teased mercilessly. I've mostly lost it except when I'm sick, tired, fired up about something, or I spend too much time with my family. Haha it's just the way everyone down home talks! Oops! That was supposed to be quoting anasazi!

Haha!  No offense intended...I live out in the sticks and it's less of a southern accent as it is just a hick accent!!  

• Born and raised in Kansas -- pretty sure I have no accent whatsoever. However, I lived in Memphis for 4 year for college, and I definitely picked up a strong Southern accent during that time. When I came back to Kansas for grad school, accent faded and is pretty non-existent now. Although, I still use some slang like "y'all."
  • I also say "wicked" all the time, It's definitely a Maine thing as well as a Mass thing.  I live in a pretty dialectally pure area, but half hour north of me and you start to pick up a pretty thick acadian french accent, and an hour south of me and you get the "downeast" accent, which to me sounds like a very hick version of the boston accent. (makes my skin crawl).  and 10 minutes east of me is New Brunswick, Canada, and you pick up their accents with their "ay's (eh's)" at the end of every sentence.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageanasazi17:

imageemunbalanced:
    Hey now! lol I'm from So. IN and had a bad southern accent that I didn't know I had until I moved to No.ish IN for college. Where I was teased mercilessly. I've mostly lost it except when I'm sick, tired, fired up about something, or I spend too much time with my family. Haha it's just the way everyone down home talks! Oops! That was supposed to be quoting anasazi!

Haha!  No offense intended...I live out in the sticks and it's less of a southern accent as it is just a hick accent!!  

Hahaha none taken! My mom's family sound SO hick it's ridiculous. I love going home. We give my mom so much hell over it! MH's family gives me crap about my accent (they claim they can still hear it). I bust it out when they're around just to annoy the shiit out of them Big Smile I'm a good DIL like that.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think my mom's Irish accent and my dad's southern accent cancelled each other out, so I have none. But if I get really pissed off or get to talking too fast, I start in with a lilt. And if I listen to too much country music, my twang kicks in.
    I do say "y'all" and "fixin to" and I'll ask you if you want a coke, then ask you which kind.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"