October 2012 Moms
Options

Mastitis

Pretty sure I have it.  My boob is swollen, the lump is red and now today it's decided to burn.  My OB is off this week and the earliest the office can get me in to see someone else is tomorrow morning.  She said if it's as bad as I'm telling her it'll probably have to be drained but she wants to take a look first.

fml...

I'm hoping that at least I'll be given a prescription in the meantime to make the rest of the pain go away.  Being a Friday appointment the chances of getting an appointment for the breast surgeon is less than 1%, so the weekend will suck again.

Anyone else experience Mastitis?  How long does it take to go away?

Re: Mastitis

• Options
    AmyG summed it up really well. All the doctor did for me was look at it, tell me not to stop breastfeeding, and gave me antibiotics. I had a fever too, and symptoms like that went away relatively quickly. At the time I was pumping because of nipple pain, and massaging the area during pumping really helped to alleviate the pain and discomfort. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to get some yogurt or other probiotic for the duration of the antibiotics; you don't want to end up with thrush too.
    IMG_0015

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    My only suggestion is that if you spike a fever overnight to call the on call doc and get antibiotics right away.  I had mastitis but didn't realize it until I spiked a 104 fever (the breast pain wasn't red or swollen feeling so I never assumed mastitis) and I had to send my DH out at midnight to pick up meds for me.  It took 24 hours for my fever to break and about 48 for the breast pain to let up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Once I started on antibiotics, I felt SO much better within 24 hours. I had a 101 fever, and felt like I had the flu, but didn't have any extreme breast pain (did have a red spot though). Hang in there!

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"