International Bumpies
Options

Traveling with a baby that doesnt look related to you, but is...

Sorry for being a PW.  So, I am thinking about traveling to the USA to visit my family.  Another thing that comes to mind is, my daughter looks absolutely NOTHING like me (Im Caucasian shes half Asian but could easily pass for full)  Im worried about immigration wanting to investigate further or worse separate us temporarily? We share the same last name.  But she looks completely like her dad who wont be coming with us.   Are there specific documents to take proving shes mine?  Birth certificate?  However birth certificate is in another language...how would this work?   Maybe there is no need to worry as long as I simply hold her passport? Please advise. Thank you.  

Re: Traveling with a baby that doesnt look related to you, but is...

• Options
    imagemrscjmb9410:

You need to take a notarized letter, signed by you and your husband stating that you will be travelling with your daughter, [DD full name], who holds passports from these countries [country name], numbered  [XXXX] and [XXXX].

Here is the template we used: 

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89243939/GENERIC TRAVEL LETTER.docx 

When I traveled alone with DD I was never asked for a letter like this, but I did wonder if it would be an issue. My guess is that the border control people didn't even think to ask because we have the same last name, were both traveling on US passports, and look to be the same ethnicity. If I were you, I would definitely take a letter like the one linked just in case. It's annoying, but it's for your child's protection to help prevent international kidnapping.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    imagemrscjmb9410:

You need to take a notarized letter, signed by you and your husband stating that you will be travelling with your daughter, [DD full name], who holds passports from these countries [country name], numbered  [XXXX] and [XXXX].

i agree with this.  I plan on getting one for ds and I as soon as I get his passport; as I plan to be back and forth between Canada and the US lots without DH.  DHS mom, brother, and all maternal aunts/uncles live in the US.  And to top to off, DS and I will not have the same last name. 

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrscjmb9410:
    imagekelly321:
    imagemrscjmb9410:

When I traveled alone with DD I was never asked for a letter like this, but I did wonder if it would be an issue. My guess is that the border control people didn't even think to ask because we have the same last name, were both traveling on US passports, and look to be the same ethnicity. If I were you, I would definitely take a letter like the one linked just in case. It's annoying, but it's for your child's protection to help prevent international kidnapping.

We just got back from the US last month...and I was asked for the letter departing the UK, arriving in the US, leaving the US and arriving back...I was so glad we had it and got it notarized. US passport control said they require it, but i guess it depends which employee you get as to whether they ask for it.

Thank you for your advice! How do you "notarize" a letter?  Sorry if it is obvious, this is a little confusing and new for me...  Did you have to take four copies of the letter for each time you went through customs (did they keep the letter), or was one original enough for the entire time?   Thanks again....

• Options
    imagekelly321:
    imagemrscjmb9410:

Very good point.  Im sure they will think to ask me since we dont look to be the same ethnicity so there may be questions...  looks like I have some preparing to do!  Thank you!

• Options

I was concerned about this but because DD has a Lux passport and I don't and in Lux you don't change your last name.

I'm lucky because in DD's passport it lists her parents until she's 18. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options
    I have flown between the US and UK with my son without my husband and never been asked on either end for a letter. This is a case of it depends on who you get kind of thing. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've been asked for a notarized letter, and didn't have one, when arriving in Canada from the UK with my son.

It's happened on two separate occasions and I was asked a lot of questions about where we live and why my husband wasn't with us. We look related and have the same last name.

FWIW, I would get the letter just to save yourself some possible hassle.  I'll get letters done in the future.

• Options
    As an American citizen you can get items notarized at the US Embassy wherever you are, for a fee.
  • Options

I've travelled back to the states twice with dd and was never asked for a letter - but we both have US passports, and the same last name

but if dd didn't look like me I'd definitely travel with a notarized doc signed by dh

• Options

Thank you everyone for sharing helpful information and your experiences!   I will be working on getting two copies of a notarized letter likely by the American Embassy in my city, just to be on the safe side... Thanks again!  

• Options

A friend of mine is from Costa Rica and took his 5 y/o DD by himself one time. Entering Costa Rica was not a problem but leaving they kept him there until they had whatever proof they needed. I think he was delayed by 2 days. He has brown hair (but is fair skinned) and his DD is white blond with blue eyes. But she does really look a lot like her dad other than the different hair color and eye color. 

Apparently child abduction is not uncommon in Costa  Rica  which is why he got stuck. 

We traveled to Europe with my 2 SD (they were 12 and 14 at the time) and had no problem but that was probably because they assumed I was their mother (even though I had a different last name at the time). They also traveled to Europe with their mom and her SO just prior to that and didn't have any problem. But we are all a bunch of white people so they could easily pass for anyone's kid Smile 

• Options

A friend of mine is from Costa Rica and took his 5 y/o DD by himself one time. Entering Costa Rica was not a problem but leaving they kept him there until they had whatever proof they needed. I think he was delayed by 2 days. He has brown hair (but is fair skinned) and his DD is white blond with blue eyes. But she does really look a lot like her dad other than the different hair color and eye color. 

Apparently child abduction is not uncommon in Costa  Rica  which is why he got stuck. 

We traveled to Europe with my 2 SD (they were 12 and 14 at the time) and had no problem but that was probably because they assumed I was their mother (even though I had a different last name at the time). They also traveled to Europe with their mom and her SO just prior to that and didn't have any problem. But we are all a bunch of white people so they could easily pass for anyone's kid Smile 

• Options

• Options

My friend almost got stuck. She was travelling with her son and they have different last names and different nationalities (she's Irish and he's British). She is getting a letter for future trips. 

Good reminder that I will need to do this too! 

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • Options
    You can notarize a letter at the Embassy...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    I am in Canada, but when I took my nephew with me to the US I got a letter from his mother notarized just in case but I was never asked for it. I know around here there was a few places I found that could notarize, town hall had one secretary who could do it. But I ended up having to pick my sister (nephews mom) up at the police station one day and I had the letter in the car so I walked in and asked and the receptionist there was able to notarize it too and there was no fee. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"