Blended Families
Options

Facebook. WDYD?

So now things are rolling, I have tons of questions obviously and facebook is one of them.

How many of you are still facebook friends wtih your ex? I'm considering dropping H soon. It created enough drama with him in our marriage, that I think I would just like to unfriend him.Maybe if we ever get to a good place, I'll friend him again.

Also, good friends of mine announced their divorce on facebook.  Believe it or not, it was done very tastefully. They however, get a long extremely well and it was a mature, mutual thing.

I am considering doing this so I can just get the news out and be done with it and not have to string out telling people over the course of the year.  Everyone close to me who should know prior to this, knows. It's more the peripheral friends and family I don't see or speak to much that may not hear thru the grapevine.

What do you think? Tacky?  Or if worded in non-drama like fashion and a, "thanks for your love and support in the past and going forward" kind of statement, would that be okay?

And when did you change your status from married to single?  I'm thinking it's probably best to do when the divorce is final, but I would really looooooove to do it now. I will most likely wait for the legal notification and update my name to my maiden again at the same time too.

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval

Re: Facebook. WDYD?

• Options

I think if the paperwork is filed it would be ok to just change your status to single.  That is the announcement.  No drama and the explanation in clear.

I would defriend your H and everyone that is negatively tied to him.  He drags drama into your life and there isn't any reason to think that will change.  Anything that you want to share with him can be done in an e-mail which you can always bcc to yourself to have for your records in the event you ever need any.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would actually keep him as a friend but set your privacy settings so he can't see anything you post. This way you can screenshot or document stuff that might be useful in the legal proceedings going forward.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKarma1969:
    I think if the paperwork is filed it would be ok to just change your status to single.nbsp; That is the announcement.nbsp; No drama and the explanation in clear.
    I would defriend your H and everyone that is negatively tied to him.nbsp; He drags drama into your life and there isn't any reason to think that will change.nbsp; Anything that you want to share with him can be done in an email which you can always bcc to yourself to have for your records in the event you ever need any.
    nbsp;
    Good luck!

All of this
  • Options
    imageJessys_Girl:
    I would actually keep him as a friend but set your privacy settings so he can't see anything you post. This way you can screenshot or document stuff that might be useful in the legal proceedings going forward.
    this maybe make a specific photo album just of pics of your DD so he can see that, but block him from your wall and any other pics of you.  there are tons of FB privacy settings, you just have to figure out how to use them to your advantage :)

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it is fine if done tastefully but I would not send it to anyone on his side whether friends or family if you still have any on FB. And I would tell him you are defriending him or do it and then tell him, it will only cause drama. The only reason to keep him is if you think you will need to know what is going on with his kids but if you already blocked him then there is no reason to keep him.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    imageJessys_Girl:

I Change my answer to this.
  • Options
    I had it easy, my ex deleted his account!  I say less is more at this stage.  Any change you make, people will notice.  
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options

Here's what I would do; stay friends with him so you can see anything he posts that you would need to use, but block him from all your posts and photos. Change your relationship status from "married" to "single" and let that be your announcement. When everything is legalized I would change your name at that time. 

• Options

I changed my status to single about a week after we broke up. But I let him know when I did it and we both immediately deleted it from our news feed.  It went pretty unnoticed. I also didn't change my status to single, I just deleted that we were engaged and removed any relationship status.

I deleted and blocked my ex from Facebook about 1.5 years after we split. I found out he was having a baby with his new girlfriend when they mentioned it on his wall. I honestly was hurt. I thought that such a life changing event for our son warranted a quick heads up directly. I deleted after that because I didn't want to have to learn about things on Facebook or read about their pregnancy.

I kept my ex-ILs and a few other of his family members. I make an effort to email him the pictures of Jake that I post online. 

• Options

Tif - I agree with you. I really don't care about keeping track of him or his kids anymore.  It's time to close this door to that crazy ass drama and move on.

To want to keep track of H and his kids would be absolutely insane. I think I've dwelled in that crap long enough.His kids and family are all already blocked on my facebook and that will never change.

Time to end this craziness.

For now H will have a very limited view.

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • Options

My DH and I are friends on FB with his ExW, the BM.  He never goes on FB and I have now restricted her from my account.  She friended me originally, but now has blocked me from the majority of her posts.  I do a print screen of her page every few days and our lawyer is very interested in pursuing a cyber harassment case against her, based on what she is posting and who she is choosing as an audience (I read the privacy settings and rules very carefully.  You can see if there is a limited audience to a post and she posts a lot of stuff just for the two of us).  If he gets nasty, it may be helpful in the long run to keep him as a restricted friend.

Just my own situation.  Good luck!!!!! 

• Options

To be honest, I would delete all of the extended family, but keep my EX.  ONLY because we have a child together and this is a good way to keep tabs on him.

Hell, in your case, I would lock down your site, but keep everyone to keep tabs on them all to protect your child.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    imagejustj:
    Tif I agree with you. I really don't care about keeping track of him or his kids anymore.nbsp; It's time to close this door to that crazy ass drama and move on.
    To want to keep track of H and his kids would be absolutely insane. I think I've dwelled in that crap long enough.His kids and family are allnbsp;already blocked on my facebook and that will never change.
    Time to end this craziness. For now H will have a very limited view.

J, the reason I would keep him especially for now is if by some freak chance he tries to get extra visitation of custody then you could see what is going on before you have DD go with him. And if you delete him you will not likely get him back as FB friend if you felt needed. But you need to have the selfcontrol on not checking for other reasons.
  • Options

My ex and I are cordial coparents now, but I would never friend him on facebook. We separated and divorced before I had a facebook 

Even though we get along well enough, he's been such a vindictive prick in the past I try to keep him out of details of my life, and am very superficial with him. I will likely never let my guard down with him...so no facebook friending him.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"