Natural Birth

Pre-e...is natural birth possible?

This is my 3rd baby, I'm currently 36 weeks and this time around I am so set on and passionate about having a natural birth.  Long story short, I just wasn't educated about NB the last 2 times and now that I am, I feel really strongly about it.  I see a group of midwives this time that deliver at a very NB friendly hospital.  

Things have been going great until my last appt.  my BP has been creeping up and this last time it was very high so they sent me to L&D to be monitored and to get labs.  My BP came down, but my midwife said my blood work and urine sample "weren't great" and told me it was mild pre-e.  she put me on bed rest at least until my next appt and said we'd follow up then.  

My question is, has anyone else been in my situation and still been able to deliver naturally? I had an induction with my 1st and it was AWFUL. I really hate the idea of having to have pitocin again.  Everything I've read about pre-e says it always gets worse, and an induction is pretty much inevitable.  Of course I want to do whatever is best for me and the baby, but I'm trying to hold out hope to go on my own and have the water birth I've been planing on.  Also, is it possible to be induced and still deliver in the tub?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Pre-e...is natural birth possible?

• I am interested in responses to this as well. I am just about 41 weeks with baby 2. At my last apt my bp was 138/70, and I'm typically only 100/70. I have a non stress test tomorrow and I'm sure if y bp has gone up, I will get the induction orders. I am wondering what sort of lower intervention induction is possible 
  • I planned a natural birth with DS, then developed and was induced at 39 weeks due to PreE.  My birth story is not positive, but I'll share a few things that in hindsight, I wish I had considered.

As I'm sure you know, PreE is nothing to mess around with.  It can be dangerous for both mom and baby and the majority of people consider PreE at term to be a "valid" reason for induction.  Being induced doesn't necessarily mean you can't have pain-med free delivery.  Many ladies on this board have successfully avoided pain meds after being induced.

If induction does become necessary, talk to your doctor about methods of induction and pros/cons of each method.  In hindsight, I wish I had requested to try a Foley bulb first before starting pitocin (Foley bulb will mechanically dilate you to 4 cm without medication and may send you into labor).  After Foley bulb, or it it cannot be used, then maybe consider rupture of membranes before pitocin?  You'll be "on a clock" anyway because of PreE and maybe it could help you avoid pitocin.

Go through your birth plan with your doctor and discuss any new restrictions (ie. getting out of bed, fetal monitering, eating and drinking, etc.)  Ask why these restrictions are necessary and see if there is any wiggle room.  Also, ask if you'll need to be on mag sulfate and what the restrictions will be if you do (likely there will be more).

I would ask your care provider about birthing in the tub with an induction.  It probably depends on your specific situation/hospital/care provider.  Best of luck to both the ladies on this post.  I know how tough the situation can be! 

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the advice.  I have an appt on thurs so I'll just wait and see what they say and go from there.  I'm staring to come to terms with being induced if need be, and since the group of midwives is so pro natural, at least I feel confident that they wouldn't suggest it if it wasn't necessary. I just hope I can keep things under control for a few more weeks.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Brewer's diet can reverse pre-e! I would try that definitely.
    family of four and counting! unassisted birthing, placenta eating, vax free, intact bodied, organic, toxin free, diaper free, baby wearing, bed sharing, extended breastfeeding, PURE LOVE! BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had slight preeclampsia, and although I was induced with cervidil, I still consider my birth natural. I didn't need pitocin (progressed so quickly with the cervidil!) and had no time for an epidural. The second baby was out, my BP went back to normal. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I was induced for a different medical reason. You should still be able to labor and deliver in a tub so long as you are not getting an epidural.

I was induced first with cytotec. I needed cervical ripening since I wasn't really effaced or dilated at all prior to the induction. I would have moved on to the foley bulb next but I wasn't sufficiently dilated to insert one so we went with low dose pitocin instead.

Once I was having regular contractions, we turned off the pitocin. This is doable and something you should discuss ahead of time with your provider. I labored in the tub for much of my active labor and they used waterproof telemetry efm on me.

I went med free and had a very positive birth experience despite being induced. So just be prepared and be in control of how you are induced if it comes down to that.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• imageamandaleigh1:
    I was induced for a different medical reason. You should still be able to labor and deliver in a tub so long as you are not getting an epidural. I was induced first with cytotec. I needed cervical ripening since I wasn't really effaced or dilated at all prior to the induction. I would have moved on to the foley bulb next but I wasn't sufficiently dilated to insert one so we went with low dose pitocin instead. Once I was having regular contractions, we turned off the pitocin. This is doable and something you should discuss ahead of time with your provider. I labored in the tub for much of my active labor and they used waterproof telemetry efm on me. I went med free and had a very positive birth experience despite being induced. So just be prepared and be in control of how you are induced if it comes down to that.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for.  I am already 2 cm and 80% effaced (or I was at my appt on wed)  I tend to have very fast labors (my last was 3 hours from my water breaking, 2 from the 1st contraction to birth) so hopefully I'll respond well.  The water birth was really important to me, so I'm def going to ask if we can still make that happen.  Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Warwickbride06 - if you want to avoid induction I'd start doing some of the natural induction tricks, Have sex (semen will help thin your cervix so maybe you'd be partially effaced if induction was needed, some say orgasming can help too), eat a big spicy meal, (perhaps one that makes you throw up), massage, acupuncture, there are lots of them.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was set to deliver in a free standing birth center when I developed some complications at the end of my pregnancy.  I was very upset to have to switch to the hospital.  Even though my hospital was very natural birth friendly, they do not allow mothers who aren't low risk to deliver in water.  PERIOD.  I was, however, allowed to labor in water. Big Smile

Likely you wouldn't be able to deliver in water with pre-e, but you may be allowed to use it during your labor.  I hope you can.

Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • imageCheekers2010:

I was set to deliver in a free standing birth center when I developed some complications at the end of my pregnancy.  I was very upset to have to switch to the hospital.  Even though my hospital was very natural birth friendly, they do not allow mothers who aren't low risk to deliver in water.  PERIOD.  I was, however, allowed to labor in water. Big Smile

Likely you wouldn't be able to deliver in water with pre-e, but you may be allowed to use it during your labor.  I hope you can.

Aww man, I didn't even think about that :( you're prob right about not delivering in the tub.  Thanks for pointing that out, one more thing get over being disappointed about. Oh well. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagewarwickbride06:
    I am interested in responses to this as well. I am just about 41 weeks with baby 2. At my last apt my bp was 138/70, and I'm typically only 100/70. I have a non stress test tomorrow and I'm sure if y bp has gone up, I will get the induction orders. I am wondering what sort of lower intervention induction is possible 

138/70 is normal...and it's the bottom number they worry more about anyway.  Most docs go by the rule of being concerned if its above 140/90. I would seriously question them if your nst and labs are normal.  It might be more the fact that your 41 weeks.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • posted in the wrong place. Sorry!
    1 Baby Girl 12/28/12 
    #2 due 11/28/14
    2 Angel Babies 9/11, 2/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"