Two Under 2
Options

Double stroller, a necessity?

So it looks like we're looking at 2u2 if everything goes well with this new pregnancy. Just got my BFP last week and I am already obsessing over details, so I know this is still very early to ask, but I am wondering if a double stroller is essential for this age range.  Our kids would be 21 m apart.  

We have several single strollers and ergo carriers and I'd be curious to hear from those that do without a double stroller.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Double stroller, a necessity?

• Options
    I don't use it all the time but I am glad that i have.  There are definitly times that i need dd to sit and i don't want to wear DS.  I use the carrier a lot also. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Depends on your lifestyle but I relied on mine almost every day. 

I tried to wear DS but with a young toddler she would have a tantrum in the parking lot so I would be carrying her and wearing DS (she would then pat his head without being gentle enough) or she would kick rapidly while I was trying to put her in the shopping cart and almost kick him in the head.

I often just used my stroller and put snacks and sippy so she was occupied while I did my grocery shopping. I used the basket of my stroller (city select) and a hand basket and that was normally fine or a family member would join me.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD1 LOVES to be in the stroller, so we've gotten a lot of use out of our double stroller. Even now that she's 3 we still use it when we go on longer outings. And if we're just going to the park, she often ends up in the stroller with DH or me carrying DD2.

Buuuuuut I know not all kids are that way. My SIL's girls are 26 months apart and she never even considered getting a double stroller. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You can easily manage with a single stroller and baby wearing. This is what i did. I wore baby or toddler and pushed the other in the stroller or held toddler's hand while he walked.
  • Options

It depends on you, your lifestyle and your kids. Personally, we have an all-terrain side-by-side for walks and a Britax b-ready that I keep in my car for errands. I use both almost every day. I can't trust my toddler to walk through a parking lot and wearing the baby really hurts my back.

I would take the next few months to look at how you use the single and to think about what you like about your current stroller(s) and what features you might like in a double. Then start looking for a double that meets your needs.

• Options

My LO's are 20 months apart, and I was convinced I wouldn't need a double stroller.  I bought one after being home alone with them 1 week!  DD is very active and doesn't stay close if she walks.  I don't use it every day now that it's cold, but before we'd go on walks every day.  I tried carrying DS but I just wasn't comfortable walking with him.  I bought mine used, and it's the Baby Trend sit & stand.

You may want to wait until LO is here to decide or if you find a good deal on a used one pick it up.

• Options
    imagesosoph:

It depends on you, your lifestyle and your kids. Personally, we have an all-terrain side-by-side for walks and a Britax b-ready that I keep in my car for errands. I use both almost every day. I can't trust my toddler to walk through a parking lot and wearing the baby really hurts my back.

I would take the next few months to look at how you use the single and to think about what you like about your current stroller(s) and what features you might like in a double. Then start looking for a double that meets your needs.

I agree with this.  Given, I don't have 2 kids yet but for my lifestyle, we are going to need a double.  I use our stroller for walks, errands, travel, etc and wearing the new baby all the time I just don't think is going to be feasible.  That said, I think you have to determine if you need a double and what type of double you are going to want such as a jogger, all terrain, lightweight, etc.   

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options

imageDanaz1:
    I don't use it all the time but I am glad that i have.  There are definitly times that i need dd to sit and i don't want to wear DS.  I use the carrier a lot also. 

This. I actually started using it more lately now that my DS is walking. If he sees his sister walking, he wants to walk so its easier to keep them both contained. 

If I had to chose between my Ergo carrier and my double though, I'd pick my Ergo hands down. I use that thing a ton. I could survive without a double, but don't really want to. I like having the option.  

• Options

I agree that it depends on your kids and lifestyle. We had a double bob and a city select when ds2 came. I used both almost daily but my big boys are only 15 months apart. The closer ds1 got to 3 the more he wanted to park. It was really nice having the city select so I had a single stroller for most things. Now that ds3 is here I sold our double bob since I can't ran with 3 in it. I still have my city select and use it a lot. I used it today as a double at the zoo. mostly to get ds2 and ds3 into the zoo. 

I also have a baby k'tan and ergo I use but there's a lot of time I'd rather have ds3 in the stroller.  

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My oldest 2 are 23 months apart and it's been awesome. I have two different ones (both bought for next to nothing on Craigslist) and prefer my Sit N Stand to a regular double stroller but I had my heart pretty set on it when I settled for the regular so that my have played a part. I wear DD2 quite a bit but save it for stores where having both children in the cart isn't feasible (grocery store etc) and the stroller is saved for the malls, walks to the park etc.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageetude de la vie:

Depends on your lifestyle but I relied on mine almost every day. 

I tried to wear DS but with a young toddler she would have a tantrum in the parking lot so I would be carrying her and wearing DS (she would then pat his head without being gentle enough) or she would kick rapidly while I was trying to put her in the shopping cart and almost kick him in the head.

I often just used my stroller and put snacks and sippy so she was occupied while I did my grocery shopping. I used the basket of my stroller (city select) and a hand basket and that was normally fine or a family member would join me.  

All of this, I would die without my double stroller, other mom's do just fine without one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options

For us YES it is a necessity.  We have a lot of property and live out in the country so we walk a lot.  Ours is a jogger but can easily fit in the car and through normal door ways so we can take it with us when we venture out to the mall and such places.

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We don't use it all the time, and probably could do without if we really had to, but I'm glad that we did end up getting one. It's just nice to have and often makes going out and about with both boys a whole lot easier. DS#1 is okay walking on his own sometimes but when we are in more crowded areas, for example the mall, I prefer to have him strapped into the stroller.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My oldest turns four tomorrow, and my second is 15 months.  The minute I found out I was pregnant with #3 (due in March), we bought a City Select Double off Craigslist.  It is bulky and heavy, but I LOVE it!  My oldest walks mostly, but when he wants a break or is eating a snack, he'll hop in.  Plus, I have room in the extra seat for bags, etc, when we are out and about.  We took it to Disney last month, and both napped in it no problem and it was a lifesaver!  I have a single MacLaren, but it's not great for napping.  I love the sunshades and the recline on the jogger.  And, it's great on all terrains, but still is mall-friendly.  When #3 arrives, I'll probably just have #1 walk more or bring the ERGO along, too.  (NOTE: I stay at home, so I'm out and about a lot on my own with the kids.  If you work full-time, you may not need a double, since your husband will mostly be with you to help).
  • Options
    YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"