Two Under 2
Options

Feeling 'punished' at work

Hi all!

So, I have a 9 month old baby at home, and this second baby is due Jan. 14th   - they will 11 months apart almost exactly. Here is my concerns:

I have been pregnant almost since I have gotten this new job. I started two years ago, on Jan. 10th. I almost never call in sick, but I do leave for doctors appointments (I make them at the end of the day so I only miss an hour of work and i make up for it), took 8 weeks off for FMLA, and I am planning on taking 7 weeks off with this baby (since my FMLA was ran out, 7 weeks is all I can afford to take).

Latly, I feel my bosses are completley leaving me out of the loop, not letting me in on projects since I am giong to be gone, etc, but thay are giving them all to the girl I work with...who - is not a good worker. At all. Period. She has called in sick 23 times in the last 5 months, comes in an hour late every day (my bosses do not know this), talks on the phone all day, etc. But, since I will be gone, they are giving her all these projects and she is walking around like she earned them because she is 'such a great worker!'. They are also sending her to another site to visit in another state for a week in December - I obviously can't fly, but they told her they were sending her last week after I had left for the day. Last year when I came back from Maternity Leave, she told me they gave her a $100.00 gift card for having to do the work by herself. UM - I had to play catch up for the first 4 weeks I was back because she never did anything.

I just feel like they are punishing me for leaving again. I can see their point how I am not going to be here, but I still cant help the fact that they are acting almost mad towards me. They are both male, and their wifes stay home. I do not think they understand how me being on leave is not me being on vacation. Maybe I am just feeling sorry for myself and need to not let this bother me, continue to work hard until delivery like I did last time, take me leave, and come back with a clear head.

Thoughts?

Re: Feeling 'punished' at work

• Options
    It really sucks, but you can't really let it get to you.  The truth is you aren't going to be there, and they have to give the work to someone else, even if that person isn't the best worker.  What I WOULD do is be proactive about your leave.  Find out what projects she is working on and talk with your bosses about what should be completed while you are out on leave, where projects should be when you return ,and what you will be doing upon your return.  When you return and these things aren't done, then you can bring it up to them "I looked at our projected progress while I was gone and it is falling short by XYZ, were there unexpected hold ups in the operation?  Is "coworker" going to be getting the project back on track?"  Do the best you can to make it not seem like you are saying "she sucks"  you are just trying to keep involved so you can pick right back up when you come back. GL
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    Agree with everything mammabear said. Sorry you are going though this. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with PP's as well.  I would also document any "missed opportunities" that you believe are related to your pregnancy.  Keep it objective.  If it gets to a point where your documentation seems to indicate any discrimination, set up a meeting with your supervisor and HR to discuss your concerns.  If they are not willing to help, you may want to consider contacting the EEOC to file a claim.  I wish I would have filed a claim at my last job for pregnancy and/or caretaker discrimination.  (All of a sudden my performance review scores went down after I announced my pregnancy, and I was told in a performance review by my manager that I really needed to decide where my priorities were between work and family.)

GL...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"