Pittsburgh Babies
Options

Any Mercy mamas?

Almost everyone I know has delivered at Magee or West Penn.  However, my practice delivers at Mercy.  From what I've been told, Mercy has all the same resources as Magee but on a more intimate level with regards to the patient to staff ratio.  I'm not at all concerned about the care LO will receive, if necessary, as I know they have a wonderful NICU.  The majority of my questions are rooted in the labor and delivery end of things.  DH and I won't be touring Mercy for a few more weeks (we'll be cutting it close), but I keep fearing my list of questions won't be answered adequately.

Would anyone be willing to give any insight into their experience at Mercy, or answer a few questions so that the tour guide doesn't get sick of me Embarrassed ?

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Any Mercy mamas?

• Options

I delivered there last April. I'd be more than happy answer any questions.

I went in because I was leaking fluid and they wanted me to walk around for an hour to see if anything happened.. Never walked as my water broke about 5 minutes later. They took me to a labor room and got me ready, answered our questions and since it was the middle of the night the nurse was kind enough to find out who would be coming on when my doctor's shift was over. I went 22 hours before I decided to have a c/s. The doctor asked if we were sure that's what we wanted and was more than willing to continue to see if I progressed (I got stuck at 7.5cm, my contractions went from 30 seconds to 8 minutes). She came back with the anesthiologist who explained everything that would happen during the surgery, we got ready and it took 7 minutes from beginning to when she was born. The anesthiologist never left my side which was great because DH had to leave due to shaking (he's diabetic and was too nervous to eat) and they explained what they were doing. When I got back to my room, the doctor came in, explained why DD stopped progressing, explained everything she did. We were moved to the post-partum room around 1am. The nurses were great about helping me get her in and our of the crib since I couldn't really move, I wasn't pressured to walk around or anything either. We were released Monday morning, but they said we could stay until after lunch. The lactation nurses came everyday as did the doctors. I wouldn't change having her at Mercy. It wasn't busy that weekend I believe about 19 babies were born that weekend. Which practice do you go to? I go to Greater Pgh Ob/Gyn.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

Thank you for sharing!  I too go to Greater Pgh (Green Tree).  I've met all but 2 of the docs who deliver and so far I've been extremely satisfied.  Did you feel pressured to have pitocin or an epidural?  I'd like to labor at my own pace.  Also did you give the docs a birth plan?  I don't have anything radical in mind but I'd like to see what my body can do on its own without intervention but I don't want to be weird by bringing it up if its not as common.  Also, any tips on what to/not to pack?

Thanks! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You're welcome! I love them! They are all so nice there! Who have you seen? I regularly see Dr. Rock and Dr. Nicholas delivered DD. I wasn't pressured for a pitocin or epidural. Since my water broke before I started contracting I got a little pitocin nothing big and I asked since it had been nearly 11 hours and not a single regular contraction had started. I told the nurses what my birth plan was and that I wasn't worried about deviating should it become necessary which I did when I stalled. They were perfectly fine with it. I hadn't planned on getting an epidural since I have scoliosis directly where the epidural goes, but DH and I talked about it and decided it would be ok it as it had been nearly 18 hours since things progressed. Unfortunately the first 2 epidurals didn't take, but the head of anesthesia came and did the 3rd one and waitied to make sure it was right. We brought a little carry on to take all of the things in the cart and the nurses encouraged us to take everything--diapers, wipes, A&D, etc. I packed a robe, slippers which was great because we had a lot of visitors coming and going and I was bfing so I was able to cover up.

• Options
    I actually went to that office because of Dr. Nicholas :)  Since then, I usually see Dr. Kapnadak (yeah for tiny fingers) for my annuals and any issues in between as Dr. Nicholas always seems to be booked.  I've met Drs. Florio and Rapkin.  I'll meet the new one, Dr. Seo, this upcoming Monday and I have another of my prenatals scheduled with Dr. Rock, so hopefully I will have met the entire crew before D-day.  Thanks, I won't feel like such an idiot walking in there with a birth plan in hand!  Glad to hear they didn't mess around when calling in the big-guns for your successful epidural.   Speaking of, do you recall if the first two anesthesiologists were residents or attendings?  I don't want to be a student's pin cushion or the highlight of rounds.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Oh thank you for putting me at ease. I was very worried about delivering at Mercy but now I don't feel that way at all. I see Greater PGH OB as well in Robinson. I've seen a few doctors and they are all very kind people.

Lizshort96 when are you doing your tour? We are doing our's on the 19th

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

Lol! I started going there because of Dr. Rock. I saw Drs Rapkin, Rock, Barrett and Nicholas, but since I kept having odd things happen-- vertigo, stomach flu and passing out on the tour and I saw Drs. Stratka, Badway and Renzalli-Cain. Hopefully you'll like the other two. The first two anesthesiologists were both attendings and I believe during my c/s I had an attending and a resident who stayed with me after my c/s and the resident came back to my room several times to check on me. No need to worry about being anybody's pin cushion they're really good about not coming in or being intrusive. The nurses came in, but it wasn't every 15 minutes and the drs didn't hover either.

• Options
    imagecharleecraig:

Oh thank you for putting me at ease. I was very worried about delivering at Mercy but now I don't feel that way at all. I see Greater PGH OB as well in Robinson. I've seen a few doctors and they are all very kind people.

Lizshort96 when are you doing your tour? We are doing our's on the 19th

We'll be cutting it close as we won't be touring until Dec 8th (Due New Years Eve).  Which providers are at the Robinson location?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Some things to pack:

Slippers

Camera (sounds silly, but people forget!)

Camcorder

PJ's for yourself

Outfits for baby

Snacks for daddy

Chapstick

Deodorant/Hygiene products (except pads)

Something to read

Change for vending machines

Phone charger

A swimsuit (in case you want to use the whirlpool before labor)

A robe

Eyeglasses (if you wear them)

An empty bag (you can fill it with free hospital giveaways!)

Your birth plan (if you have one)

iPod/iPad

• Options
    imagejanagrubor:

Some things to pack:

Slippers

Camera (sounds silly, but people forget!)

Camcorder

PJ's for yourself

Outfits for baby

Snacks for daddy

Chapstick

Deodorant/Hygiene products (except pads)

Something to read

Change for vending machines

Phone charger

A swimsuit (in case you want to use the whirlpool before labor)

A robe

Eyeglasses (if you wear them)

An empty bag (you can fill it with free hospital giveaways!)

Your birth plan (if you have one)

iPod/iPad

There's a whirlpool at Mercy?!? 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I would never go anywhere else! I had the best experience with the nurses and Dr. Florio. Everyone was wonderful. I was super nervoues and they were all supportive, enthusiastic, and incredible at their jobs. They made me relaxed and made the process easy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"