3rd Trimester
Options

Third night in a row.. no sleep.. desperate!!!

Okay, so it's 12am and I've been trying to sleep since 10pm.
i'm not in pain and i'm not uncomfortable in anyway.. well, besides her moving around a little bit but that doesn't bother me.

I'm so tired, but no matter what I do I can't fall asleep!
I tossed and turned for almost 2hrs and I just can't do it.
my husband is sound asleep, and i'm so jealous right now.

I tried walking around and sipping on some water but nothing seems to work.
So I gave up, turned on the TV and started writing this.

This is the third night in a row where i'm just completely restless..
Anyone have ANY tips or tricks on how I could fall asleep?
I'm desperate!!

*EDIT* I'm looking for natural remedies for sleep. No meds!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Third night in a row.. no sleep.. desperate!!!

• Options
    Tylenol PM.
  • Options

imageMrsNorry:
    Tylenol PM.

I'm trying to stay away from any sleep meds..

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unisom, Bendryl, warm milk, shower? these tend to work for some, I'm super restless too...boooo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    what works for me is a cup of hot tea with honey...I like to drink the sleepy time tea its just very relaxing and sometimes a warm bath. I hope that helps and hope you get some sleep soon. Good Luck
  • Options
    I have to take a soaking bath every night if I want to sleep. Works like a charm
  • Options

OK, don't laugh when I say this, but I promise it works. 

Do math in your head and you will fall right asleep. I am so NOT kidding. It's very similar to counting sheep. I don't mean actual math problems, just anything that involves counting or adding and subtracting time.

My go to sleep remedy is scheduling in my head. And with a newborn coming, it's easy to think about scheduling.  I fall asleep even faster if I do it in backwards time. Here's an example of what goes through my head:

If I want the baby to get up at 7:00 am for the day, she will probably have a feeding at 4:00 am. I will get up for that and then go right back to sleep. The feeding before that will be at 1:00 am. I might still be awake for that otherwise I would have to go right to sleep after the 10:00 pm feeding and that's too early for me. But I might be really tired. Maybe I should take a short nap after the 7:00 pm feeding. Etc etc.

I have never made it through an entire 24 hours. I know it sounds crazy, but I promise it works  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    A warm bath and some hot caffeine free tea work for me normally but like you tonight nothing is working. It probably doesn't help that DH and our bulldog can be heard snoring in sync through the walls. Hope you find something that works! 
    Missed M/C 11/11/11
    BFP: 3/15/12 EDD: 11/25/12 DOB: 11/12/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    try breathing technique like panting or anything you know.  i don't know how to explain to you but dh practice with me everyday and we both feel sleepy.  o/w, i take benadryl and sleep very well.
  • Options
    imageAprilbaby92:

imageMrsNorry:
    Tylenol PM.

I'm trying to stay away from any sleep meds..

I tried the same thing w/my first pregnancy, said no meds.  Ended up getting NO sleep the last month, and I think it contributed highly to my PP anxiety issues, and inability to reason or be rational b/c I was so sleep deprived.  I take Ambien (very low dose 5mg) this time around, and trust me, I've done my homework with my psychiatrist who specializes in prenatal and pregnancy issues.  It is safe.  Not trying to advocate it by any means, and I understand if you don't want to take meds of course, but I tried all the other natural remedies, including Tylenol PM which just make me feel like total crap and a zombie the next day.  I would rather take Ambien and be able to function normally, and get a full night's sleep.  These benefits outweigh my concerns about taking meds after doing hrs of research.  You may want to talk to your OB about alternatives IF the natural remedies just don't work.

Chemical Pregnancy 5.2011. BFP 9.2011 MC @ 8.5w D&C 11.4.2011 sweet pea is always in our hearts. BFP 3.23.2012! Our baby turkey is due 11.22.2012! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Try reading something completely uninteresting.
  • Options

When I can't sleep, I get up and go into the living room to sleep on the couch.  It's not ideal b/c I usually wake up sore, but at least I've gotten a little bit of sleep.

• Options
    I know you said you didn't want meds but when I was sick with the stomach flu my doctor recommended Unisom to take the edge off and help me sleep. Best decision in the world. You need sleep and sometimes you just need a little help to get it.
  • Options

imagesnowflake91011:
    Melatonin?  I'm not sure if it is safe during pregnancy but it is a natural remedy.

NOT recommended in pregnancy.

If you get tired enough Big Smile to try meds, try unisom.  I take it every night.  No sleep is not an option for me.  I'm tired enough chasing a toddler.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

This might sound strange but do you have something with a rayon like fabric that you can take to bed with you. Rubbing fabric between your fingers is a very relaxing and non-obtrusive way to do something monotonous that lets your brain rest.

It should easily slide between your fingers. The silkier the better.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageGoldsgirl9:
    Try reading something completely uninteresting.

This. I find reading baby name books helps me fall asleep fast.

My problem isn't falling asleep, it's waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to fall back asleep. I went to bed at 11:45 last night, woke up around 3:30, and was tossing and turning until 6. DD woke up at 6:20. I've been going on about 3 weeks with less than 5 hours of sleep each night, and I can't see this being good for me OR the baby. I don't like taking meds either but I'm going to use Tylenol PM tonight to try to sleep through the night. 

• Options
    I wake up around 3am every night after extremely anxiety filled, emotional dreams.  I usually stay in bed and play solitaire on my phone until I fall back asleep.  Usually takes an hour or so.  This way I'm still in bed, my mind is occupied enough that I'm not rehashing the details of my dreams, and I'm able to just roll over when I'm ready for sleep again.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Sounds silly but I read out loud to my belly lol. I've been doing it for a few months now, and whether she can hear me or not, it relaxes me, forces me to focus on something calm and relaxing, and also makes me sleepy lol. I'm a worrier and am also very restless at night, but I have found this incredibly helpful. 
  • Options

I've been the same way lately! Im 34 weeks, and for the past couple nights I have not been able to sleep at all. Just like you I toss and turn for hours, before Im able to actually fall asleep and then shortly be awoken again to pee, or the need to turn over. And also like you I try to stay away from any sleep aids as well. Although I will say that on the third night I caved in and took one tylenol pm (which my doctor advised!) I felt much better the next day :)

But I also try to have a warmer to hot bath (not super hot though), and then have a cup of sleepy time tea, and do some reading. That usually helps me not seem as restless. Also I've noticed that I go through days (rather nights I guess) like that where I find it near impossible to sleep and get as much as 3 or 4 hours a night, and then I find that for the next couple nights I am able to get much more sleep-and not toss and turn around as much.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I know you don't wanna take meds but I am on Ambien too and it is safe during pregnancy, I don't take it every night maybe 2 or 3 nights a week when I'm really having a hard time. Benadryl is safe too. Try a hot bath or read, don't watch tv it actually keeps you awake. good luck hope you get some rest :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"