Health & Exercise

Thyroid lengthy but need help!

I just had a baby in July, exactly one week before turning 21. I lost so much blood that I became anemic but when I had my blood tested last week it not only showed anemia it also showed hypothyroidism. A normal TSH level how much thyroid my body is being told to make is a .5 to a 4.5/5.0. My level is a 25. A normal level of thyroid in the body is .3 to a 3.0. Mine is a .1. So my thyroid is getting a very strong signal to make more and it's not even close to making enough. I just dropped 6 pounds in two weeks not the baby weight, I lost that in the hospital. My doctor doesn't know what to make of it and can't give me the hypothyroid medicine because I would lose more weight I weigh 97 pounds. They are trying to find me an endocrinologist but I want to know if anyone else has had this experience?

Re: Thyroid lengthy but need help!

• I'm sorry to hear you are going through all of this. Seeing an endocrinologist will help. Have you found one in your area yet? 
  • You need to see an endocrinologist to get that worked out - the sooner the better. However, postpartum hypothyroid is VERY common and can self resolve.
  • Loading the player...
  • My thyroid level was 9 before getting pregnant.  Syntroid got it down to 4.  Five months pp, it spiked to 109.44.  My doctor doubled my Synthroid dosage.  My level is currently at 3.  I've been jogging and watching my diet.  I am currently 8 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight.  I was fortunate that my level dropped to normal with just the medicine.  I feel much better these days.  Best of luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You are still close enough to delivery for your hypothyroidism to be postpartum thyroidosis, but you should see an endocrinologist to rule out an autoimmune problem and to be properly medicated to help your symptoms.

I have Graves' Disease, autoimmune hyperthyroidism, and just had a thyroidectomy after a bad reaction to anti-thyroid drugs. I have learned so much about the thyroid in the past 6 months. Feel free to PM me with questions or if you just need an ear for support. :) 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"