May 2012 Moms
Options

another ? for BF moms

I was going to post this on the BF board but it doesn't seem like a lot of people reply there and I love this board so much more. Anyway, I have maybe 8 oz of frozen BM. I wish I would have been more diligent about getting a stock while I was unemployed. Now that I am working a full time plus a part time job, I am barely treading water keeping up with Fifi's eating. Not sure what to do to get my supply back up and finding additional time to pump. I'm trying fenugreek now. I pump only one, sometimes two times at work, then I can usually pump as soon as I get home, before bed and as soon as I get up but sometimes it's not enough to get her through the work day. Also, we are going to start solids this weekend. As a FTM I have no idea: when can I expect that solid foods are going to start replacing some of her BM drinking? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: another ? for BF moms

• Options

Sorry you're having a hard time keeping up... I'm just getting out of a funk right now so I know how it is!  

I actually asked the pedi this last month because I really was hating BFing and being a slave to the pump.  She said babies should either have formula or breastmilk as their primary source of nutrition for their first year of life.  (bummer, I know.)  But it helped me get in a mind set at least and now I have more a routine for pumping and when DS will nurse, its actually a relief instead of the chore it used to be.

Just to add, if you are having problems keeping up with your supply, formula is an OKAY option!  Don't let the recent crazy media scares worry you into thinking you're not giving your baby what she needs.    

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Options

I find mothers milk tea is helpful. If you can drink a cup about an hour before you pump. It helps me get an extra ounce or two.

You can also try eating more oatmeal which should help. And Pinterest has some lactation cookie recipes you can try...

HTH 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Kellymom has a great article about pumping. I have the link below. I think I saw on Kellymom that breast milk consumption doesn't go down at all prior to six months. Even then breast milk should always be the number one source of nutrition.

I know for me I really need to relax or I don't pump enough. Looking at pics of A sometimes helps but what helps most is if I just keep distracted from the pump instead of keep looking to see how much I'm pumping. Also water, water and more water. I can tell the next day if I didn't drink enough the day before by my pumping output.

Lastly, can you add to your freezer stash on weekends? I pump one side in the morning while A eats off the other sideand that has really increased my freezer stash.

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/pumping_decrease/

• Options

Have you tried different sized flanges or compressions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have between 100125oz. I wish I had more but I can barely keep up. I told myself that I would try to pump and nurse as long as possible but I wouldn't kill myself if my supply started dropping. DS takes 3, 3.5 oz bottles at daycare, he nurses anywhere from 47 times while with me on a weekday. So I know my supply is good but after a while my body stops responding well to the pump.
  • Options
    compression helps me, I also do a middle of the night pump.  I respond really well to the advant manual pump.  So I keep that my bedside with an ice pack.  It makes the MONP pretty easy.  After I am done pumping I pour the milk into a clean bottle and put it in the fridge and take the hand pump back to our room with the ice pack (so I can skip cleaning it) then I pump again when I get out of the shower in the morning. I also pump while driving this helps me get in 4 pumping sessions while I am away from LO for 10 hours on a work day.
  • Options
    I am not bf'ing anymore but I did pump on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights to get a little ahead for the next week.  Unfortunately my pump sent me over the edge to wean from bf'ing.  It was stressing me out too much. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options

I work 8hr days and pump 3 times while I'm there.  I also pump before work and before bed.  We also nurse when I'm with LO.  When LO was around 3 months old I had supply issues.  I think it was bc he was in a growth spurt and I just wasn't able to keep up.  I went through my freezer stash (70 oz) then had to supplement with formula for about 3 weeks.  Now I know what I have to do to keep my supply up.  I'm unfortunately not one of those natural people who produce tons of milk.  I have to keep my water intake up!  I notice that Monday's I usually don't produce as much milk as I do on a Wed bc the weekends I'm not good about drinking water.  I also make sure that I eat oatmeal daily.  I hate oatmeal!  so I have to get creative.  I love these homemade granola bars! 

https://www.laurenslatest.com/no-bake-chocolate-chip-granola-bars-easy-healthy/

So simply and yummy!  Another thing that slows my production is stress.  Even worse than not eating oatmeal or drinking enough water!  I've tried Fenugreek in the past and have seen some good results, but I have now stopped it.  I really think every mom is different and you'll have to do a "trial and error" to see what works for you.  Good luck, and keep at it! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"