Single Parents
Options

Abnormal pap. REALLY worried.

So I got a call from my midwife recieving the news of my first trimester tests. All blood tests came out normal, vitamin D levels were even good. However they were concerned with my my pap results. My midwife informed me that they found some abnormal cells that they worry could be pre cancerous. They say my cells could be considered consistant with those of HPV. I am pretty worried. I dont really know anything about HPV or cervical cancer but I am more worried about the safety of my baby than anything. know that HPV cannot harm baby and that isnt the concern. They want me to come in again to do a Colposcopy and take a closer look at the cells on my cervix. I am SO worried about this being really bad. MOST OF ALL i am worried about my babies safety during these procedures. I am willing to wait to undergo treatment until after I deliver in order to keep my baby safe. Anybody have an experience such as this or any words of advice or encouragement? I hate not knowing what to expect. Crying

Re: Abnormal pap. REALLY worried.

• Options

I had this happen to me during my first pregnancy. They did a colposcopy and the cells turned out to be CIN 3, which is just a level below cervical cancer. I ended up going to see an oncologist every month for my entire pregnancy so that they could check it to make sure it didn't progress any further. After I had my daughter, they did a LEEP to remove the cells and I have had 3 normal PAP's since then. Mine were a result of HPV as well.

It's very hard not to worry. I broke down sobbing at my first oncology appointment. It's not something you want to have to deal with when you're pregnant. However, my oncologist told me that changes in the cervix take place very slowly so she said it was very unlikely that the cells would go from pre cancerous to cancerous during the course of my pregnanty. She also told me that sometimes with a vaginal birth, the cells are sloughed off and they don't even have to do anything afterwards. I ended up with a C/S so that part didn't happen for me but it might for you.

There is a very low risk of miscarriage with a colposcopy so I would definitely go ahead and do that. You will at least want them to find out what type of pre cancerous cells you have and for them to monitor it if necessary.

I can't say that everything will be fine because I don't know but you should at least find out what you might be dealing with so that you can discuss your options, whatever those might be. Knowledge is power, as they say.

I know this is really, really hard but it's better to know than to just worry about it your whole pregnancy. Good luck, mama! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :-)

• Options

Thank you SO MUCH. It is really reassuring to hear from someone who has been through this. It's pretty scary to hear but it sounds manageable. I suppose it IS best to know. I was just very worried about my baby but it sounds like I can do this. Again thank you so much for your response. It is a relief to know a little bit more about this! YesSmile

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    thank you :)) instead of worrying over something that cant be fixed right this second i will try to have a positive outlook on things. I really appreciate the support! Big Smile
  • Options
    I've had one before. I just had to get another test and it was fine. Been normal ever since.
  • Options

I'm going through something very similar. In March of this year, I had an abnormal pap. My regular doctor said I should go back in for a repeat pap in June. I didn't go because I lost insurance and was waiting to get new insurance. Then - surprise! I became pregnant in July. 

I just had my repeat pap done today, and I'll find out in a week or two what the results are.

An HPV test wasn't done on my original pap, but I was told it could be something as simple as a yeast infection. We'll see when I get my results, and I feel your worry.

I'm just taking it one day at a time. The good thing is they are PREcancerous, not cancer. Which means steps can be taken to reduce the risk of any future cancer. And being pregnant helps lower those risks later on.

God bless and take care. 

• Options

I've had abnormal paps since the age of 17 and it's never been cause for alarm.  When I was 23, they called me in because they'd found "atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance."  They did a biopsy which was quick & relatively painess (feels like a tiny pinch) -- basically, they just cut away the bad cells and checked up on me in another 6 months to make sure there wasn't more growth.  Whether or not they're aware of it, most adults have some form of HPV at some point in their lives (there are hundreds of different strains) but I know the initial shock & accompanying stigma is no fun.

What was interesting in my case was that after I had my baby, at the 6-week checkup they do another exam.  My pap came back completely normal!  My midwife said it is not uncommon due to the cellular changes with what the cervix goes through.  While it's true there's no "cure" for HPV, in healthy adults the body will see this virus come & go. 

Don't stress about the colposcopy -- it's no more intrusive than a regular vaginal exam. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"