June 2012 Moms

Moving to Solids ?

So my son is 4.5 months now and at his 4 month check-up our doc advised us to introduce purees to our boy..I was very happy to get this go as he was anyways always ready to eat anything and everything !!

so i started mashed banana with my b milk ( 1 spoon ) ...and then later 1 spoon of apple mashed in my b milk ....he totally loved eating ...finished it all up ! :)

Now thinking of trying 1 spoon cereal a day ..

Just wanted to hear what others are doing - are you guys moving slowly to solids too ?

( Love to all the wonderful babies and hugs to their mommas who work it out with their young ones !! )  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Moving to Solids ?

• You're only suppossed to introduce them to 1 new food a week for alergy reasons.

We aren't starting solids till DS shows interest but no sooner than 6 months.
  • DS2 is EBF. We'll start solids at 6 months and will do Baby Led Weaning.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSawyerplus1:
    DS2 is EBF. We'll start solids at 6 months and will do Baby Led Weaning.

This, exactly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started at 4.5 months because he was eating 8oz ever 3 hours and still not getting full. We did carrots for a week, once a day. Right now were on bananas, next week were doing sweet potatoes. Everything I've read said to start with whites, clears, and oranges, then move onto greens and purples after a few weeks. I'm making all his baby food and made everything I needed for the first month. He definitely loves his solids. He gets excited when he sees the spoons because he can recognize them, and he opens right up for it. We're feeding him 1 oz of solids a day. He had trouble at first with carrots because he had to learn how to move it to the back of his mouth to swallow and he'd lose a bit..I just used the spoon and scooped it back in. Now he's a pro and is a very surprisingly clean eater. =) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's interesting that there's so much conflicting advice on starting solids! Our ped recommended almost the exact opposite of Alicia's. He said start with green veggies, then orange/yellow veggies, then meat, then carbs, then fruits. He said we could start now, but I think we're going to wait until she shows more interest. When we eat in front of her, she doesn't seem to be interested at all. We're skipping the cereal/oatmeal thing altogether.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is EBF/I'm pumping so we'll be waiting until 6 months.  We'll probably skip over oatmeal/cereal.  She eats every 3-4 hours still but is satisfied after 4oz if she's eating from bottle so I don't see a reason to start her yet.  Pedi said to wait if we wanted.  I've gotten more questions from others like my mom and sitter about our plans though... but I think that's generational.  They just used to start them earlier back then.
    TTC #1 9/2011  BFP 10/3/2011! (EDD 6/10/2012)   Aubrey Lynn, 6/17/12Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSawyerplus1:
    This is us as well. WHO, AAP, and Health Canada all say to wait until 6 months to introduce solids as their digestive systems are not fully developed before then and they still have the tongue thrust reflex. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • imagestepper1725:
    It's interesting that there's so much conflicting advice on starting solids! Our ped recommended almost the exact opposite of Alicia's. He said start with green veggies, then orange/yellow veggies, then meat, then carbs, then fruits. He said we could start now, but I think we're going to wait until she shows more interest. When we eat in front of her, she doesn't seem to be interested at all. We're skipping the cereal/oatmeal thing altogether.

Thats crazy! Around here the normal advice, it seems, is 4 months now. Elliot has been doing so well on solids though I'm glad we started them. It seems a lot easier on his stomach than formula too.. we've cut way back on the gas drops and gas issues he was having. 

• My doc said I could start but I want to wait a bit longer..

I felt the transition to daycare plus introducing solids was too much at once. The doc said my decision was fine.

The doc told us to start with oatmeal. No rice cereal because of the arsenic thing.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSawyerplus1:

us too 

• imageAliciaS1411:

imagestepper1725:
    It's interesting that there's so much conflicting advice on starting solids! Our ped recommended almost the exact opposite of Alicia's. He said start with green veggies, then orange/yellow veggies, then meat, then carbs, then fruits. He said we could start now, but I think we're going to wait until she shows more interest. When we eat in front of her, she doesn't seem to be interested at all. We're skipping the cereal/oatmeal thing altogether.

Thats crazy! Around here the normal advice, it seems, is 4 months now. Elliot has been doing so well on solids though I'm glad we started them. It seems a lot easier on his stomach than formula too.. we've cut way back on the gas drops and gas issues he was having. 

its actually against the AAP s recommendation... 

• imageanonsouthernbell:

its actually against the AAP s recommendation... 

I saw that the new recommendation is to start solids at "about" 6 months. But I think they say there is still room for variation, especially if your baby seems ready. Our baby does not seem ready yet, and is showing no interest. So even though we could probably start now, we are waiting. Here is more info from the AAP:

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/Pages/Switching-To-Solid-Foods.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're sticking with one new food a week. This week is squash puree and next week we will try avocado. DS is 4 months and we also got the go ahead from our pedi.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DS's pediatrician advised us to wait until he's six months. He's EBF, on the small side, and had a nursing strike that lasted a few weeks. She wants to make sure that he continues to get all of his nutrition from calorie-dense breastmilk for as long as possible. I am fine with this, as he has shown absolutely no interest in what we are eating.
  • imagejess9802:
    DS's pediatrician advised us to wait until he's six months. He's EBF, on the small side, and had a nursing strike that lasted a few weeks. She wants to make sure that he continues to get all of his nutrition from calorie-dense breastmilk for as long as possible. I am fine with this, as he has shown absolutely no interest in what we are eating.

Oh this is a good point to keep in mind. We always do a bottle first with Elliot. He takes 7 oz in each bottle, but when we get to dinner time when we give him solids, I give him a 5oz bottle THEN the solids.  

• Alicia -

Sounds like you have a eater like mine. I'm just curious how many total ounces and how many bottles a day your LO is eating. My LO is currently eating about 30 - 32 oz a day in 5 bottles and one serving (2 oz formula mixed with 3 tbs) cereal. I'm trying to figure out if we can drop that last bottle and have her eating 28 oz plus the cereal or veggie and her still be getting enough. I know every child is different, but I like to see the comparisons :) 

• imagenamies0819:

Alicia -

Sounds like you have a eater like mine. I'm just curious how many total ounces and how many bottles a day your LO is eating. My LO is currently eating about 30 - 32 oz a day in 5 bottles and one serving (2 oz formula mixed with 3 tbs) cereal. I'm trying to figure out if we can drop that last bottle and have her eating 28 oz plus the cereal or veggie and her still be getting enough. I know every child is different, but I like to see the comparisons :) 

hmm..He takes a 7 oz bottle at 7am, 10:30am, 1:30pm, 4:30pm, 7:30pm***, and one at 10:00pm before going down for the night. The 7:30 bottle is only 3 oz and he has 2oz of solids after it. So he gets about 35-40 oz a day. We completely skipped cereal. haha. I'm about to start him on two solid feedings a day and replacing that 1:30 bottle with a bottle/solid feeding. 

He definitely tells me if he's not getting enough and when he's finished though.Its actually really cute when he's done with his solids he'll sigh and lean back and it lets me know he's full. It reminds me of my dad. haha 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"