1st Trimester
Options

Salami - is it safe?

Just curious here - is it safe to eat prepackaged salami? It is calling my name in the fridge but I don't want to do anything to harm my pregnancy. I know lunch meats aren't good to eat, and vegetables aren't either unless washed thoroughly...but heated up salami? Cold salami? I'm totally paranoid about what meats are good to eat o.O
TTC since 2004, Ectopic 2005, lost right tube. Multiple miscarriages. Baby girl born June 2013.

Re: Salami - is it safe?

• Options
    I would treat it like other lunch meats and heat it up until steamy.  If it is not nitrite/sulfite free, I would limit the amount you eat since those preservatives aren't good for baby (they aren't good for you either).  Everything in moderation.
  • Options

*lurking from third tri*

Salami is my favorite lunch meat and it's one my doctor specifically told me to avoid, heated or cold, because it's so incredibly processed. He advised me to stick with only high-quality freshly sliced white meat like Boar's Head chicken or turkey. I've already told DH that a salami sandwich from my favorite mom-and-pop deli is my first post-delivery meal! However, if you're in doubt, call and ask your doctor. They'll  be able to give you a clear answer on their practice since every doctor is different Smile

*back to lurking* 

Please pardon any typos -- I'm typically bumping from my phone
    V|V TSP V|V
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    * Lindsay Chase is going to be a big brother in August! *
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just had my first appointment/consultation this week with the nurse and she said it is not necessary to avoid lunch meat anymore.  She said there is a very very small percentage of getting listeria and it doesn't seek out pregnant women.  It could happen to anyone.  She said to just make sure the lunch meat is from a trusted place, like the grocery store.  I wouldn't particularly eat at Subway while I'm pregnant. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Everyone is different and it seems every OB has a different opinion as well. I eat salami, cold, from the grocery store deli, with my OB's blessing, almost daily because it's the only thing that sounds good.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was heating it up until I asked my OB and she looked at me like I was nuts and admonished me about researching with Dr. Google.  She told me salami is fine.  Deli sliced turkey grosses me out right now, so Applegate Farms nitrate free salami has been my go to.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Eat the salami. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I love salami - so that's a relief!! I won't eat a lot of it but it is definitely my fav lunchmeat. I'll have a grilled cheese with it in it just to be safe :)

Thanks ladies!!! Mmm so happy! lol 

TTC since 2004, Ectopic 2005, lost right tube. Multiple miscarriages. Baby girl born June 2013.
  • Options
    Michellec777Michellec777 member
    edited September 2013
    I came her asking the same question bc it is all I want to eat right now! I got organic,
     Nitrite free. Woohoo!

• Options
    My OB said that it was totally safe to eat lunch meat.  It's people that cause it to be unsafe.  She said that people tend to buy lunch meat and then wait a few days before eating it.  If it's been in the fridge for a week beforehand then you might want to throw it out, but if you bought it today or yesterday then go ahead.  I feel that's like any food - just follow proper handling guidelines and you should be fine.
  • Options
    bucca3 said:
    Your brave to ask this! This board is not friendly on those questions just beware!
    Stop trying to white knight every post!  This was posted in Oct 2012.
    Every post you make is insulting us "classy bitches" so why do you even keep posting?!?!  Take your class over to babycenter and the rainbows and butterflies.  
    I think this person is a butthurt troll. I'm going to start flagging posts like this as spam.
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Ate it. Eat. Your food!!!!!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    bucca3 said:
    Hey Mandybitch I didn't bump any post if u can read it was answered by someone else first! So white knight that bitch!
    I didn't say you bumped anything.  I said "Stop trying to white knight every post!"  because of your comment  "Your brave to ask this! This board is not friendly on those questions just beware!"   You think we're such classy bitches and so unfriendly but yet you keep posting.  That really makes no sense.  
    And FYI,  name calling will get you flagged for abuse.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image
  • Options
    bucca3 said:
    i said this on other posts. i think you women are so rude. if you can't answer nicely then don't bother. it's so frustrating reading these comments when someone is asking a serious question. it maybe stupid to you but to her it wasn't. call that white knighting but i call it being a nice human being. so flag me all you want. in the end you handful of posters that i see in every post are the real problem here. it's just amazing how rude you can be and you could possibly be raising a child with your ways. scares me to think in 20 years your child will be just as rude as you taught them to be. good luck. you will need it
    We know you think we're rude and we don't care.  It obviously doesn't bother you enough to stop posting so what's the point in coming here?  I call you a white knight because you keep coming into threads only to post about how rude, mean and unfriendly we are instead of providing any information or support to anyone here.  You say you're being a nice human being but nothing you've posted has been the least bit nice!  Your posts are actually quite the opposite. 
    Thank you for your 29 posts expert opinion on the TB boards "real problems."  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image
  • Options
    Annnndd...my bingo card is ready. 

Seriously, bucca. This post is from Oct. 2012. I'm sure that OP has already moved past this question and is onto more important things. Mandy has a point - if you have such a problem with certain people, use the block feature. It exists for a reason. Accusing her of being "mean" and then calling her a bitch (twice) is just childish. 

None of the replies that OP got were rude...even if they were, none of us were around for it, so blaming it on this select group of people that you seem to have such a vendetta against is ridiculous. Again, if you REALLY have that much of a problem with those people, block them. Simple as that. You'll never have to read a reply from any of us again. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    msronziomsronzio member
    edited September 2013
    bucca3 said:
    i said this on other posts. i think you women are so rude. if you can't answer nicely then don't bother. it's so frustrating reading these comments when someone is asking a serious question. it maybe stupid to you but to her it wasn't. call that white knighting but i call it being a nice human being. so flag me all you want. in the end you handful of posters that i see in every post are the real problem here. it's just amazing how rude you can be and you could possibly be raising a child with your ways. scares me to think in 20 years your child will be just as rude as you taught them to be. good luck. you will need it
    THIS.
    POST.
    IS.
    FROM.

Scares me to think your IQ has not fully grasped this yet! Oh wait, I forgot... just a troll. 
    8-|
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"