Blended Families
Options

Sad for my kiddo

My son found out DC, SM and his grandmother have been in Vegas (they live in TN) since last week.  He told me this morning about their posts on FB about how "great it is to visit family we don't get to see enough" and all the pictures they've been posting.  Then he said, "it's nice that they're only a few hours away and didn't come see us". He goes on to tell me that his sister would be really upset and he doesn't want her to find out.  How sad is that? Here is this amazing 13 year-old who has been hurt and let down by his father more times than anyone deserves, and instead of expressing how hurt and angry he is his first response is to protect his little sister who he doesn't even like most of the time.

This amazing young man has 3 Honors classes and he's getting A's in all 3. Plus he has band and football. How can any parent not be proud of that and not want to be involved in something so amazing?  How can he not want to see his children? How can he not want to be a part of their lives? How can he not want to experience them doing cheer and football and band and tumbling? It would have meant so much to the kids if he had come out to their games this weekend. Instead he chose to stay in Vegas and hide from them.  And it makes me sick and angry and sad for my children.  They deserve so much better.

I seriously want to drive to Vegas and beat all 3 of them. That whole family disgusts me.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Sad for my kiddo

• Options

imagewendilea:
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  I know exactly how you feel.  I want to throttle Dink on a routine basis.  In the end, it's the dads that will suffer because these amazing kids will grow up and treat them exactly how they've been treated.

exactly. 

jo- at first i couldnt figure out who DC was... is his new name douche canoe?  lol

your son sounds like such a great kid, you should be so proud, clearly you are doing something right!

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageholly71087:

imagewendilea:
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  I know exactly how you feel.  I want to throttle Dink on a routine basis.  In the end, it's the dads that will suffer because these amazing kids will grow up and treat them exactly how they've been treated.

exactly. 

jo- at first i couldnt figure out who DC was... is his new name douche canoe?  lol

your son sounds like such a great kid, you should be so proud, clearly you are doing something right!

Yup.  He is now Douche Canoe.  However, for the sake of keeping things "clean" I shorten it to DC  Stick out tongue

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagewendilea:

I know what you're saying is true.  And I know that one day DC is going to try and come around and "make things up" to the kids, but by then they'll have moved on and will literally have no need for him.  It's already happening.  My son will only refer to DC by his first name or "Your ex-husband" and calls my husband "dad".  My daughter asked to go to the Father-Daughter dance with my husband and tells everyone he's pretty much her "real dad" because her "other dad" doesn't care.  I don't know if I should be sad that the kids no longer have any illusions about the type of person DC is, or happy that they're wise enough and aware enough to see him for what he really is.

• Options
    Yep you have an amazing kid on your hands. That is so sweet of him and really shows character.Xtra big hugs to him. Sorry his dad is a DC...his loss. Right Hug
  • Options
    imagejobalchak:
    imageholly71087:

imagewendilea:

exactly. 

Yup.  He is now Douche Canoe.  However, for the sake of keeping things "clean" I shorten it to DC  Stick out tongue

Darn, I really liked Douche Lord. I'm so sorry for you and your kids. Some people just need to be beaten.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejobalchak:

imagewendilea:

I know what you're saying is true.  And I know that one day DC is going to try and come around and "make things up" to the kids, but by then they'll have moved on and will literally have no need for him.  It's already happening.  My son will only refer to DC by his first name or "Your ex-husband" and calls my husband "dad".  My daughter asked to go to the Father-Daughter dance with my husband and tells everyone he's pretty much her "real dad" because her "other dad" doesn't care.  I don't know if I should be sad that the kids no longer have any illusions about the type of person DC is, or happy that they're wise enough and aware enough to see him for what he really is.

I second the first set of bolded. Kids know who is there for them and who isn't.

As for the second set of bolded, it is a sad thing when kids start to "get it". But you should be happy that they have YH that loves them and is their dad for all intents and purposes. And also that your DS is being so mature about it and not acting out in horrible ways. He seems like a fine young man and you should be so incredibly proud of him!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Save yourself the drive. I live here. Just give me an address. ;. I think your son sounds like an incredible young man. While it is sad, it's probably better he didn't come. I say that because of his track record w being a douche canoe and basically terrorizing your children whenever they see him. Just be sure little man talks to you. Try to open windows of opportunity to let him get out his feelings so he doesn't have to hide them. He wants to be the cool 13 yr old that nothing bothers him. I know you know he is hurting on the inside, I just wanted to say it.
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Options

They do deserve better, and they've got it with you and DH.

I struggle with the same feelings.  I think a lot of it is shame on their part, and not being involved is the easy route.  If they get involved, they have to face up to their past mistakes, deal with a really awkward relationship with the child they abandoned, and possibly answer some really tough, unanswerable questions.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    imageJ&A2008:

They do deserve better, and they've got it with you and DH.

I struggle with the same feelings.  I think a lot of it is shame on their part, and not being involved is the easy route.  If they get involved, they have to face up to their past mistakes, deal with a really awkward relationship with the child they abandoned, and possibly answer some really tough, unanswerable questions.

They sure do jo. Your sound does sound amazing, and he knows who the stable, loving family is. I agree that DC will likely try to "make it up" to them when they're older, but it sounds like your DS really doesn't care about his BS and won't take it. It honestly drives me bonkers when kids have a sh*tty parent growing up and then when the kid is grown that parent magically wants to be there for them and has a sob story and the kid feeds right into it. Sorry, unnecessary tangent.. 

• Options
    That man has got some serious bad juju heading his way.  I can't wait til he's old and wondering why his kids never call or some visit.  Bastard.
    Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options
    imagejobalchak:

imagewendilea:

It is sad but at the same time it's good that they don't have their hopes up anymore because then it just hurts them more when he lets them down. Glad you have a husband who cares so much for them. My daughter also calls MH "Papi" but has told other  people that he's not her "real dad".  I try to tell her we know he's not your real dad, but he does everything a real dad should....how old is your daughter? I am wondering what age they can begin to grasp the fact that their fathers are idiots and don't care. 

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
    BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

• Options
    How heart breaking for your son!

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"