Oregon Babies
Options

Thinking about moving to Oregon :)

Hey Bumpies.

A little intro: My SO and I are both 21, and expecting our first son in just a few short weeks! He is originally from Northern CA, and I am from Southern Ca. We both now live (temporarily, hopefully) in Southern CA. I just completed my final semester of school in July, and have been taking a pause on the job hunt as of late. Seeing as though I was 5ish months pregnant when I graduated college, I hadn't been having any luck with a job hunt.

I am now currently trying to pursue my career in travel, tourism & hospitality. We both really love Oregon, and wanted to ask fellow parents and/or parents-to-be:

1. What is the cost of living in your neighborhood? (median income, housing costs, etc.)
  2. What are the demographics like in your neighborhood?
  3. (in your opinion) Where are the safest neighborhoods for a family?
  4. Have you made the move from out of state to Oregon? From where? What was it like?

Thanks for all your help, ladies!

V|V TSP V|V

Re: Thinking about moving to Oregon :)

• Options

hi hun! Here's a link: https://www.city-data.com Then type in Portland or Medford or Eugene or any other Oregon city. (Medford/Ashland is less than an hour from Northern Cailfornia.)

Best of luck!

:) 

• Options

Thanks so much for this! That was helpful!

V|V TSP V|V
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi!  My husband and I just moved to Portland recently with our (almost) 2 year old.  We both grew up in CA, him in LA me in Sacramento and we both went to undergrad in the bay area.  The cost of living here is Much cheaper.  However, it is generally more difficult to find a job.  My husband had a job offer and that's why we moved here, which was perfect because we had actually always considered Portland as a place we hoped to live some day.  

Neighborhoods I would suggest looking into are Freemont (great for families) Hawthorne/Richmond and the North West.  I'm sure there are lots of other great places but I find these are the best for having everything near by and being great, beautiful neighborhoods.  

A little info about the way Portland is set up: there is a big river running down the middle and the roads start at 1 and then go up in both directions going away from the river.  There is also a Freeway running the opposite direction of the river, cutting Portland into 4 areas: NE, NW, SE, SW.  So people will talk about parts of Portland that way all the time "I live in the SE, it's great"  etc.  

On the SE side I would say don't look much farther out than 50th st and not much lower than Powell (of course these are just my preferences and I'm sure there are many places I haven't seen that are awesome)  

Also, it's not a very racially diverse city.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the whitest cities in the country.  Kind of lame.  But, the people here are very nice (some of the nicest people I've ever met and I've moved often!) and very open minded.   

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"