At 2PM this afternoon I got an email from a woman who we have a mutual friend, saying that her brother and his GF had a baby girl this morning and were needing to place the baby for adoption. She said there wasn't much time for them to get things figured out, but wanted to know if we wanted to at least be considered.
So I first flipped the heck out (at work) then called our SW as we're not done with our home study for another 2 weeks to figure out what I could even do.
After talking to our SW, she agreed I needed to call this woman and get some information. Long story short, because we aren't completed with our home study, we were kinda on our own, but that if they wanted to pursue anything with us, they would have to go through our agency and we could expedite the final parts of the home study.
After calling this woman back, we got some basic details and agreed that we'd be willing to meet with the birth parents tonight at the hospital if they chose. We even said if it was just to get some info from us regarding adoption, or foster care through our agency or whatever she needed, not even under the understanding we were being looked at. This woman knew all about us and apparently had read most of our blog before emailing me. Anything I told her about she seemed to already know.
She said the hospital was pushing for the birth mother to go through a binder of waiting families and pick at least 3 she wanted to meet with TONIGHT to get the ball rolling. How freaking pushy is that? She just gave birth this morning after having been in labor last night. Unfortunately she did not make any sort of adoption plan so this was all started in motion immediately after the baby was born.
The woman I spoke to (birth father's sister) seemed VERY interested in us. We had an hour-long phone conversation. She took down my number, our agency's number, and my email address and promised me she'd text me or call from the hospital when she got there.
4.5 hours later and we haven't heard a thing.
It's been a whirlwind of a day. Obviously we are disappointed, frustrated for being put involved in this situation with no apparent resolve at the moment. I realize there's a TON going on in this situation that we can't possibly fathom, but holy smokes, this totally came out of left field. I mean we aren't even in our waiting pool yet! Just goes to show we have to be ready now at any time. AND this will probably be the first of many disappointments to come.
The birth father's sister just got back to me. Her and her husband are talking over whether or not they want to parent the baby, but if they decide not to, they would like for us to meet with the birth parents. So that's the latest...