Food Allergy
Options

New to Epi-Pen... any advice?

DD was diagnosed as being allergic to dairy at 4 months old.  I was not surprised to find out today that she is allergic to egg whites and peanuts (she has had minor reactions to both).

But I was surprised that we were given an Epi-Pen.  This makes me very nervous.  Any advice from veterens?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: New to Epi-Pen... any advice?

• Options

Minor reactions mean more serious ones could be next.  ALWAYS carry the Epi wherever your LO goes and make sure everyone who cares for your LO knows how and when to use it.

Hopefully, you will never need it.  But if you do, you want it to be immediately accessible.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options

imageCrash Into Me:
    We just got one 2 months ago, but I immediately taught DD's sitter, her husband, the grandparents and the local aunt & uncle how to use it. The prescription was for 2 pens, so one stays at the sitter's house the other with me.  Everyone knows it's in my purse, in the zippered part.  My IL's are the only other people who I leave DD with and I transfer the epi-pen into the front zippered part of her diaper bag.  If DD is left with DH, it's hit or miss whether I leave the epi-pen (yes, we've talked about this) but he knows exactly what to avoid.

You probably want to have at least two full sets.  They come in sets of two so if the first doesn't work for whatever reason (needle fails or the reaction rebounds before EMS can get to you) you want the back up pen kept with its mate.  

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was also told that both pens stay together.

Thanks for the advice. It's scary to think that a more serious reaction could be next.
  • Options
    Ditto to the two sets. We have a little to-go pouch with his epi jr 2-pack and some Benadryl. We take it EVERYWHERE. And then we just have an extra we keep at home. We drop off and pick it up at daycare, which may seem like a pain, but that way we always have it with him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

Minor reactions mean more serious ones could be next.  ALWAYS carry the Epi wherever your LO goes and make sure everyone who cares for your LO knows how and when to use it.

Hopefully, you will never need it.  But if you do, you want it to be immediately accessible.

This! It's totally scary, but needing it and being without it is more scary to me.

• Options

I would recommend asking the doc for an Allergy Action Plan. It spells out exactly when to use Benedryl vs, Epi. It takes the guesswork out of it. When you are holding your child, and he/she is having an anaphylactic reaction, you are likely to second guess whether the reaction is "bad enough" for the Epi. I second guessed myself every time we used it (4 in total). Also, keep in mind that it is better to use the Epi when un-necessary than it is to not use it when it was necessary.

Now that the weather is changing in most places, be sure to keep Epi out of cold and hot. It needs to stay at a comfortable temp. 

Mom to DD1 - almost 11 DD2 - 9 years old DD3 and DD4 - twins aged 7 Sea Monkey EDD 5/26/2013 Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    image4girls+1:

I would recommend asking the doc for an Allergy Action Plan. It spells out exactly when to use Benedryl vs, Epi. It takes the guesswork out of it. When you are holding your child, and he/she is having an anaphylactic reaction, you are likely to second guess whether the reaction is "bad enough" for the Epi. I second guessed myself every time we used it (4 in total). Also, keep in mind that it is better to use the Epi when un-necessary than it is to not use it when it was necessary.

Now that the weather is changing in most places, be sure to keep Epi out of cold and hot. It needs to stay at a comfortable temp. 

Thanks for the advice (to everyone).  We did recieve an allergy action plan.  So that was great!  Basically anything to do with the throat, lungs or heart needs the epi.  Hives, rash gastro -- use benadryl.

• Options
    image4girls+1:

Thanks for the advice (to everyone).  We did recieve an allergy action plan.  So that was great!  Basically anything to do with the throat, lungs or heart needs the epi.  Hives, rash gastro -- use benadryl.

Now that you mention the plan I think I will post it to my fridge for everyone's reference.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"