June 2012 Moms
Options

Feeling behind...

Anyone else feel like their little one is behind the curve? I am so proud of what he is doing, but I feel like he could be further. He is 3 months now, but still doesn't hold his head very well, kind of bobbles still in his defense he is in the 90th percentile for head circumference lol. So he isn't close to sitting at all without being held. He also just barely this week found out he can put his hands in his mouth, which he has never done before, but he still isn't intentionally reaching for anything. He can hold something briefly if you put it there or if he hits it on accident. Shouldn't he be grasping already? I'm just worried I guess. He smiles and makes eye contact. Though he doesn't look at you when you want him to or make noise, only if he wants to. He isn't interested in rolling over at all, and honestly he hates tummy time and isn't scooting either. He holds his head up well, but gets mad and screams till I get him within a minute of laying on his tummy. He likes it better with a pillow under his arms but he isn't learning to roll or crawl like that. Should I be worried or is he just reaching these things later than most?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Feeling behind...

• Options

Your LO sounds just like mine. I don't think you need to worry. My dr told us rolling and holding toys etc on average starts around 4 months. My DD hates tummy time! We can maybe get 5 or 10 min a day in.

Dont worry too much. All babies go by their own schedule. :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Don't worry! And try not to compare! All babies are different and I think what you are describing is very normal. My DS is 4 months old and still doesn't reach for toys.  He will hold one if I put it into his hand but only briefly before he drops it again.  He also JUST rolled the other day.  Just try not to worry too much!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first is a preemie. She is always behind what everyone else is doing. She walked after 16 months etc... I had to just stop comparing and look at what she was doing as an acomplishment for her.
  • Options

Don't worry about it! My LO's head still bobbles and it's only in the 25th percentile! He doesn't really hold toys either. He'll hold it for a bit if I wrap his fingers around it, but doesn't seem interested in reaching for it on his own. He has rolled over a couple of times, but usually it doesn't really interest him.

I know I feel like he should be doing other things when I read about other babies doing them, but I try to remind myself that he's developing exactly as he should. I trust myself and my doctor to notice if anything is out of the ordinary :)

• Options

When I read things about other people's babies, sometimes Im a little- Oh. 

I didnt even know rolling was a milestone. It's easy to compare, but one week can make a difference for skills.

• Options

Oh I was feeling the same way!  Thanks for posting.  DS hates tummy time and is only now even remotely getting his body somewhat in the position to roll over.  He doesn't really hold things unless I put it in his hands and he quickly loses interest if it doesn't directly fit in his mouth.  His hands are his main chew toy!  Try not to worry though...all babies progress at different rates.  Right now I'm more worried about the sudden crankiness he's developed than anything else!

• Options
    Sounds normal. Try to remember that most development happens during certain ranges. That is because not all babies hit milestones at exactly the same time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Options

My LO will be 4 months in 2 days. I noticed the biggest developmental changes occurred around 3.5 months. And a lot changes in just a week. And yes, like everyone says babies develop at their own rate but when they start doing new things it is amazing. 

I started to see major changes after 3.5 months during the wakeful period and the wonder week. He now does so much it is amazing! 

• Options

Everything is so relative at this age - LOs develop so differently and can really develop new skills from day to day!

DD didn't start putting her hands in her mouth until after 3 months, and she is only starting to grasp solidly now (mostly in order to get whatever it is into her mouth). She still can't really hold on to most things for very long, though.
    She also only rolled belly-back twice, around 3 1/2 months, and no longer seems interested in even attempting to do it again. 

According to the WW book, some LOs are more physical and some are more visual/auditory. Because physical abilities are more obvious, though, it seems like those babies are developing a lot faster than the latter group, even though the visual/auditory kids are learning just as many complex behaviors in a different way. I think DD is one of those, actually.

Don't worry - your LO sounds like he's doing just fine :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    There is no reason to worry. Your baby is going to be just fine. Those milestones are a bunch of bull. Your baby will develop in his own timing and he will be just perfect as he is! You are a wonderful mommy. Stop stressing yourself!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh gosh! Stop the comparing and worrying NOW! Seriously, it does no good to compare your 3 month old to other 3 month olds. All babies/kids are different and do things at their own pace. Enjoy your LO for who THEY are, not who you think they should be, ya know?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"