Breastfeeding
Options

Running out of milk/low supply in evening?

DS is two weeks old and EBF. He wakes up typically every 3-4 hours at night to eat, and eats for about 15 minutes. When he wakes up at night and first thing in the am I'm engorged and he's happy. By the time I go to bed at night, he seems to be struggling to get enough to eat. He'll nurse from 11pm to 3 or 4 am like he's starving. Even if he falls asleep nursing, he'll wake up when I put him down and demand to be fed more. What' is going on and what can I do to fix it? DH and I are losing our minds.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Running out of milk/low supply in evening?

• Options
    It's called cluster feeding. Its totally normal. The first few months I felt like I had a baby attached to my boob all evening for hours. It's good for your supply. I suggest getting comfy on the couch and watch Netflix...and nurse...nurse... Nurse
  • Options
    Should I try to give him a bottle of pumped milk to help fill him up? I don't want to deplete my barely begun stash if I don't have to. Also, when can I expect this to end? I'm now a SAHM, but poor DH has to get up early for work a couple days a week, and DS actually woke him up last night even though he was sleeping on the couch.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageBlackrose1918:
    Should I try to give him a bottle of pumped milk to help fill him up? I don't want to deplete my barely begun stash if I don't have to. Also, when can I expect this to end? I'm now a SAHM, but poor DH has to get up early for work a couple days a week, and DS actually woke him up last night even though he was sleeping on the couch.

No. Cluster feeding tells your body how much milk to make. If you give him a bottle your body won't make enough.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    It's not just a hunger thing, it's an instinct thing to help estaish your supply. Just try to deal with it. It is temporary.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    Would it make a difference that DH and I normally run on a late schedule since we work(ed) evenings (4pm-11/12)? Would that throw cluster feedings off to where they're on our evening schedule? Or is it more likely day/night confusion? DS feeds every 1-2 hours during the day (I get up up around 11am/noon), with one longer stretch of about 3-4 hours in the middle of the day. After the crazy 11-3/4 feeding, he only eats every 3-4 hours until I get up in the am.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"