Babies on the Brain
Options

TTC and so MANY questions!

My hubby and I just decided we wanted to start TTC. I currently have an IUD and I'm having it removed this week. I'm so excited to start trying, but I've been reading that its best to wait at least a couple of cycles to start TTC. I was wondering what other mom's or mom's to be thought/heard from their doctor. I'm also wondering how long it typically takes TC after the IUD is taken out? I really would love TC by the end of October, but is that even realistic?

Any other advice or tips that I should know about?

Thanks! 

Re: TTC and so MANY questions!

• Options
    No experience with an IUD, but it can take a healthy couple a full year to conceive. 

Go to: FertilityFriend.com and do the tutorials. It will tell you a lot you probably don't know about your fertility. It's free, you don't need to pay for the service. I highly recommend charting. 

Youtube: The Great Sperm Race is a production by BBC and it discusses fertility in a more visual way. It's very entertaining and pretty informative. Your H will probably like it as well. I believe it's in 4 parts, you should find them labeled. 

Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Very thorough book on fertility, kind of reads like a textbook. I enjoyed it, others do not. 

Talk to your OBGYN about waiting a cycle, etc. They'll be able to tell you what you should do. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had my IUD removed in April. Got a period at the end of May; had a 100+ day cycle that ended recently.

My advice would be to have some patience. Some people do get pregnant right away after discontinuing birth control and I hope you're one of the lucky ones, but don't be surprised if it takes some time for your cycles to regulate.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Don't have a lot of experience with the IUD but when I went I talked to my doctor after the pill she said to be prepared that it could happen immediately and that there was nothing wrong with going ahead and trying. That being said....I had about 5 months of slightly irregular cycles as in they'd be 30 one month and 23 days the next. And its been  7 months and we're still TTC. 

I also second the pp's suggestions of fertility friend and the Great sperm race and not being impatient. It could take awhile and if you don't go into expecting that it very well might you will be heartbroken and stressed to the max way before there's any real cause to worry. 

The girls over at the ttgp board are very knowledgeable but I suggest lurking for quite sometime before jumping into the frying pan. You can find answers to almost all your questions just by lurking there or typing into the search box, which I have found quite helpful. Good Luck!

TTC since March of 2012
    Me: 27 Dh: 35 Testing Begins 3/5/13
    Six SA's show DH has low numbers across the board = severe MFI
    Genetic testing for me = MTHFR+, also carrier for blood clotting disorder Otherwise all else normal
    Dh's karotype= Normal!!
     Mini-IVF/ICSI - July -August 2014 - 1R,M,&F Transferred 1 Grade 1 Morula-5dt - BFFN

• Options
    imageKC_13:

I had my IUD removed in April. Got a period at the end of May; had a 100+ day cycle that ended recently.

My advice would be to have some patience. Some people do get pregnant right away after discontinuing birth control and I hope you're one of the lucky ones, but don't be surprised if it takes some time for your cycles to regulate.

GL!

The Great Sperm Race sounds fun to watch--ha!

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I had the copper IUD in for years before I had it removed. I had problems of breakthrough bleeding and longer more painful periods. When I got it removed I started on the BCP but I am bad about taking that thing...I'm TTA right now sue to an autoimmune disease though but after lurking around the TTGP board this is what I've learned...

You can start trying right away and possibly get pregnant the very day you get it taken out(assuming of coarse you O then), the copper IUD doesn;t mess with your cycles too much, unlike mirena. For a healthy couple it takes up to a year to get pregnant, if you have something wrong it can take longer. You can begin charting to get "perfect timing". When you get your IUD taken out ask if there are any prenatals your OB suggests you start before getting pregnant(my OB suggested begining prenatals when you begin TTC). You can also test out OPK(ovulation prediction) and see if that helps for optimal timing as well.

I suggest when you go in for your appointment really talk to your OB/gyn and see what they say.

IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    imageramoseecology:
    imageKC_13:

GL!

The Great Sperm Race sounds fun to watch--ha!

This and this. :) 

BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • Options
    Thank you guys so much for all the advice. I go this afternoon to have it removed. I'll keep ya posted!
  • Options

I got pregnant less than a month after having mine removed, so it may not take long at all. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Ok ladies....Soooo did you guys bleed a lot after it was removed and for how long? I'm bleeding every day all day and its clots. I'm starting to get worried. Advice, please!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"