Health & Exercise
Options

Vegan while pregnant?

Has Anyone out there been vegan while pregnant? I was vegan right before I got pregnant with DD1 felt amazing!! But I was so sick with her I couldn't continue.

Now I'm pregnant again : and am not sick so far this time around! I want to get back on the band wagon and start getting my 11month old to make better choices she wants to eat EVERYTHING I do!.

Any helpful hints or
Ideas to start making the transition? Any simple meal ideas?

I did not know where else to post this, but please only other vegans and no hateful responses.
BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image image

Re: Vegan while pregnant?

• Options

I am not vegan, or actually even vegetarian for that matter. Recently though, I have been really turned off by meat and just want to eat more clean in general, so I have drastically the reduced the number of meals I have with animal meat.

I stumbled across this website for recipes which I highly reccommend:

https://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/

All recipes are vegan. So far I made the sweet potato veggie burgers and spicy peanut portobello kale rice bowl and both were absolutely delicious. Can't wait to make those again and try other new ones too.

I haven't been concerned so far with making sure I'm getting enough protein. Most recipes I have found so far have been hearty enough with beans, nuts, and/or rich veggies. I am feeling really good with this new "diet".

DH is not on board with the meatless kick I've been on & isn't a fan of veggies in general, so I have been making alot of double meals recently. DS is 21 months and will eat some of both of our meals, so everyone has been happy.

pregnancy
  • Options

Here's another vegan friendly recipe, which is yummy for the fall!

https://www.greenkitchenstories.com/moroccan-vegetable-tagine/

There are a bunch of ingrediantes, but it didn't take me super long to prep since I chopped everything so coarsley. I may have substituted butternut squash for the pumpkin. I used a Dutch oven since I don't have a tangine.  

pregnancy
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm vegan and have been for 2 years. Although, when I was pregnant I intensely craved grilled cheese sandwhiches and finally gave in after 5 months. I just couldn't take it! Since having DD its been difficult to get back on the band wagon but I'm 95% plant based and completely vegetarian. You can totally do it though! The key is to give yourself some grace and also eat what makes you feel good and healthy and is nutritious. 

Do you eat tempeh? I really like it because its fast and easy to prepare. I like to make sloppy joes with it and also eat it marinated and sauteed. Breakfasts are usually cereal with almond milk, toast with nut or seed butter, oatmeal, and or soy/non dairy yogurt. For lunch I really like sandwhiches so I have a recipe for Un-tuna salad made with chickpeas that even my non-vegan friends really like. Dinners are pretty simple and I just try to do a grain, a green, and a protein like tempeh or beans in a nice sauce/marinade. I use The Vegan Table cookbook a lot as well as the Oh She Glows blog and The Vegan Coach website.

Just make sure to take extra B12. Hope this helps! 

www.lulukangaroo.com Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

I am vegan. As for transition tips, how did you do it before? I transitioned one meal at a time. After I had a few vegan breakfasts under my belt, I moved on to lunches, and then dinners. My tastes and skills are constantly accelerating, and it is easier and easier to just throw things together now.

I love theppk.com and make a few meals from her website a week. So that is a good start. I do a lot of googling and blog reading.

I also recommend Your Vegan Pregnancy and Vegan For Life. I bought the Kindle versions on Amazon and they are indispensable. Like a pp said, make sure you take a B12 supplement and find lots of snacks you like.

Apples and pb

hummus and pretzels

fruit

granola bars/dried fruit/sunflower seeds/etc

homemade vegan goodies

Good luck! If you have more specific questions, I would be happy to help!

• Options
    Hi. You can and should definitely be vegan while pregnant. Your baby gulps a few ounces of amniotic fluid a day, so they taste what you're eating. This has an impact on their food preferences later on. So it's important to eats lots of fruits veggies. Also check out the pregnancy section on my website for more info: www.RaisingVegKids.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"