October 2011 Moms

Are dryer sheets bad? Yet another thing to fear?

Last night my friend mentioned in conversation that dryer sheets were not good to use, they contain carcinogins.  I looked up quickly online, and saw a ton of posts about how they are not good for people to use.  What do you all think?

This came up when we were discussing that addiction show, this lady was eating them :-(

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Are dryer sheets bad? Yet another thing to fear?

• I've heard that but never really worried about it. I only use dryer sheets with our clothes and sheets, not Jack's. Not that it makes much difference if I'm using them at all, kwim?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Eating them?!?!?!?  That's just crazy!

I haven't used them in years.  They are totally unnecessary and they do contain chemicals, which IMO, less is better.  I do miss the extra scent, but perfumes=chemicals and toxins, so along those lines I also avoid scented candles, air sprays and -plug-ins. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the dryer balls instead of sheets. They are just these plastic/rubber balls that fluff everything in there. Cotton Babies sells wool balls that I am dying to try out in the dryer...but I have yet to get them even though the store is like five minutes from my house....yes I am lazy. But the nice thing about the balls is unlike dryer sheets, you never run out of them. And they get rid of the static and everything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • We use them. Look dryer sheets have been on the market for a very very long time. I trust that the FDA wouldn't allow things on the market for decades that would kill me.

• Well, we have another box that came in a large pack that came from Costco that we purchased forever ago.  Maybe I'll give it away.  Hmm, I think that I might try that foil trick.  Thanks for all the imput, guys.  Something new to think about, I guess.

Yea, that show is called "My Strange Addiction" and it features people with odd addictions.  That one episode that I'm referring to had a lady eating dryer sheets.  She just couldn't stop.  She'd wrap them in toilet paper because the taste was so strong :-(.  I think that it was on A&E.

• If you look hard enough, you can pretty much find a problem with everything, but yeah...we dont use dryer sheets.  I wouldnt put it on the level of smoking around your kid, but I prefer to just use dryer balls. 

I am allergic to fabric softeners in general, so we have never used them.  If I happen to get in contact with one my skin gets itchy and my lips swell up (and not in a sexy way).

• imagekarinothing:

We use them. Look dryer sheets have been on the market for a very very long time. I trust that the FDA wouldn't allow things on the market for decades that would kill me.

I don't trust the FDA a whole lot. 

• I looked up some of the posts on Google about dryer sheets being toxic. One post made a general assumption that the chemicals can be absorbed through the skin and that it is just as bad as ingesting them which is not necessarily true. The limits placed on chemicals are based on toxicity limits (lowest dose that causes hazards effects)  and route of exposure (absorbed, ingested, breathed). For example, selenium can be a nasty toxin but it is also an essential nutrient. Everyone started freaking out about arsenic in apple juice...the reality is that there is arsenic in your tap and drinking water. Also, toxicity in laboratory animals does not necessarily correlate to toxicity in humans and often times researchers use unaturally high doses when doing toxicity experiments. 

Anyway, I am rambling but my point is that I wouldn't worry about it too much. DS has been having eczema issues again and I am kind of wondering if it is from the Downey so I have gone back to dryer sheets.  I like my clothes soft because I have sensitive skin but I can't use Snuggle because I end up with a rash. So, Downey for me and Bounce for DS. 

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes. One of the worst home products you can use.  The chemicals soak into your clothes, towels, sheets etc and then sit on your skin 24 hours a day.  You breathe them in while you sleep, they sweat into your armpits and groin.  We use wool dryer balls and they work great.  No chemicals, reduce static, I inject essential oil scents into them every few weeks to make our clothes smell yummy and they help cut down dry time.  win, win, win, win.  We've had the same balls for over a year, so while the price upfront is steep, it isn't too bad when you factor in the length of time you can use them and the fact you aren't polluting your body on a 24/7 basis.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageElsa1984:
    imagekarinothing:

We use them. Look dryer sheets have been on the market for a very very long time. I trust that the FDA wouldn't allow things on the market for decades that would kill me.

I also don't think the FDA regulates laundry...

Yes the chemicals are bad. Also, they basically coat your clothes in wax.  

• with most chemical exposure, it's not like one use is going to kill you. the problem is being exposed to something repeatedly, even multiple times a day. This is why I really concern myself with our health and body care stuff. 
  • imageElsa1984:
    imagekarinothing:

I mean I agree they aren't perfect...but I am not going to trust some whackadoodle internet site like "lifenatural" "sleepsodeep" or "glamousgoesgreen" as far as I can tell there are no studies from NIH or any reputal scientific journal. There is one study that indicates that some chemicals were released but there is nothing saying if there is any danger in those chemicals. Like the other poster said, the mere release of chemicals onto our skin or into our environment in the levels that come from dryer sheets isn't necessarily dangerous.

I just feel like it is a little silly that people say OMG dryer sheets when we all likely drive automobiles that are spewing chemicals into the air that have proven time and time again to impact health and the evironment.

Also, as someone that lost their mom to an cancer caused by the environment, I feel like stuff like this trivializes the real issues out there.

• I never use them, but only because I'm cheap. I had no idea they were bad for you, but it makes sense when you think about it.

I sometimes pour 1/4-1/2 cup vinegar in the fabric softener compartment, works great. But I'm excited to try the aluminum foil trick, because I frequently forget the vinegar.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagealiciaroset:
    imageElsa1984:
    imagekarinothing:

I also don't think the FDA regulates laundry...

Yes the chemicals are bad. Also, they basically coat your clothes in wax.  

I believe the FDA regulates cleaning and laundry products.

ETA: If they don't, it is under the CPSC then. But I am pretty sure no one can just use chemicals willy nilly without regulation. https://www.cpsc.gov/

Even if it is crappy regulation.

• imagealiciaroset:
    with most chemical exposure, it's not like one use is going to kill you. the problem is being exposed to something repeatedly, even multiple times a day. This is why I really concern myself with our health and body care stuff. 

This. Something totally off topic but along those lines......corn. Genetically altered corn to be more specific. They say high fructose corn syrup is fine in moderation and the same as sugar. But HFCS is in SO MUCH STUFF! And if the HFCS is made from genetically altered corn, you are consuming it multiple times a day. And smoking.....one cigarette won't kill you....but smoke regularly and that's a whole different story.

• imageElsa1984:
    imagekarinothing:

I thought (hope) she was joking. When the people who run the FDA are former executives of drug companies  and vis a vis how can you trust them?  Everyone knows that in the US we allow all kinds of things to stay on the market that are outlawed/banned in other parts of the world. 

• imagecrystalbaby:

imagejeannkerricotober09:
    Yes. One of the worst home products you can use.  The chemicals soak into your clothes, towels, sheets etc and then sit on your skin 24 hours a day.  You breathe them in while you sleep, they sweat into your armpits and groin.  We use wool dryer balls and they work great.  No chemicals, reduce static, I inject essential oil scents into them every few weeks to make our clothes smell yummy and they help cut down dry time.  win, win, win, win.  We've had the same balls for over a year, so while the price upfront is steep, it isn't too bad when you factor in the length of time you can use them and the fact you aren't polluting your body on a 24/7 basis.

You heard it here, Jean loves her balls!!

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!

• imagealiciaroset:
    with most chemical exposure, it's not like one use is going to kill you. the problem is being exposed to something repeatedly, even multiple times a day. This is why I really concern myself with our health and body care stuff. 

You're right.  It makes me think, how bad are all of these chemicals over time?  I've mentioned before that I'm hypothyroid.  I just wonder how the hell I got it.  Could it have been exposure to BPA over time in mass quantities?  I know that the FDA says that it is okay, despite a recent University study stating that it is bad news.

• I don't use them either. Partly because of the chemicals, and partly because I'm cheap. I make my own detergent, and put some vinegar in the rinse cycle. I can honestly say that my clothes are just as soft and fluffy as when we used perfumed detergents and fabric softeners. They just don't smell as flowery. Why spend the money, and have all the chemicals on your clothes, if the end result is basically the same, ykwim? But that's just me. Ive never tried the foil trick, tough. I'm gonna throw some into my next cycle.
  • I have never used dryer sheets. My IL's think I'm super weird for not using them. My dad was allergic to them and most laundry soap and fabric softeners. We just never used them and I don't out of habit. They seem like a waste of money and I have no idea what fabric softener even does (clothes need to be softer?). I also very rarely use lotions or body wash(I am not dirty, I wash my hands and bathe regularly).I never realized how little I use until I got a million lotions and soaps for Cash at my baby shower and I have only used 2 bottles of soap and am no where near finishing a whole lotion. I just don't find using them constantly is necessary.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• They eliminate static cling.
  • imagekarinothing:
    They eliminate static cling.

I know what dry sheets do, but I rarely have problems with static. What is the purpose of fabric softener? Do people use both? So you put laundry detergent, fabric softener, and use dryer sheets? That seems like overkill. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I keep meaning to buy some of the wool dryer balls but I always forget.  They come up quite often on ecobabybuys for a good price.  MIL always used a half sheet instead of a whole one, so that's what DH and I have been doing for our stuff (and nothing for Lily's of course).  I'd like to switch to the dryer balls instead, though.

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• imageChunstad:
    imagecrystalbaby:

Yes. One of the worst home products you can use.  The chemicals soak into your clothes, towels, sheets etc and then sit on your skin 24 hours a day.  You breathe them in while you sleep, they sweat into your armpits and groin.  We use wool dryer balls and they work great.  No chemicals, reduce static, I inject essential oil scents into them every few weeks to make our clothes smell yummy and they help cut down dry time.  win, win, win, win.  We've had the same balls for over a year, so while the price upfront is steep, it isn't too bad when you factor in the length of time you can use them and the fact you aren't polluting your body on a 24/7 basis.

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!

Only wooly balls. And I like them 8 at a time.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejeannkerricotober09:
    imageChunstad:
    imagecrystalbaby:

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!

Only wooly balls. And I like them 8 at a time.

HARHARHARHARHARHAR!!!!!!  You guys are cracking me up!

• I've never used dryer sheets or fabric softener on my clothes.  My parents never used it either so I just don't know the difference.  My clothes are fine.

However, I do have a stash of dryer sheets that I rub through my hair occasionally when it's foggy out.  I get crazy static in the fog.

• imagethetheisens:

imagekarinothing:
    They eliminate static cling.

I know what dry sheets do, but I rarely have problems with static. What is the purpose of fabric softener? Do people use both? So you put laundry detergent, fabric softener, and use dryer sheets? That seems like overkill. 

I have never used both. I only use dryer sheets. We get static cling when it is super dry out.

• DUP the bump hates me

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"