Natural Birth

Pain Management

I've been lurking here for a bit. I'm due Novemeber 30th and I'm planning a home birth with a midwife. I'm not too freaked out by the idea of labor (but this is my first, so what do I know) but I realize that I'm really behind in learning any pain management techniques.

There are no Bradley classes in my area, and I'm starting to freak out that I'm not gonna be able to do this. Any recommendations? I've thought about hypnobabies, but I'm worried it might be a little out there for me. I'm open to any suggestions!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Check out my blog Tales from an Underachiever

Re: Pain Management

• I just took a natural childbirth class, so we learned mostly breathing techniques, different positions, etc. and our labor partners learned how they could support us. I had the same sort of response about Hypnobabies... I just wasn't sure it was for me. I think preparing yourself mentally is a big step in itself!

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a Hypnobabies mom and I loved it.  It *seems* far out until you really start getting into it.  I thought it was a wonderful tool, and it allowed me to have a wonderful birth, that was pretty darn close to pain free. Hypnobabies teaches your body to deal with and process pain differently, and you have total control.  It's also got a lot of great education.

I can't say enough wonderful things about it. 

ETA:  It isn't for everyone, so if it's not for you that's totally fine.  I hope you do find something that works.  Do you have a doula?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemjr12:

ETA:  It isn't for everyone, so if it's not for you that's totally fine.  I hope you do find something that works.  Do you have a doula?   

No doula. Sadly, there aren't a ton in our area, and it's also not something we can afford at this point. I'm super cheap--I don't even want to pay the $150 for the Hypnobabies homestudy, but I know I should.

Did you take a class for hypnobabies or do the homestudy? Am I too late in the game to get it all in? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Check out my blog Tales from an Underachiever
  • imageElizabeth0501:
    imagemjr12:

No doula. Sadly, there aren't a ton in our area, and it's also not something we can afford at this point. I'm super cheap--I don't even want to pay the $150 for the Hypnobabies homestudy, but I know I should.

Did you take a class for hypnobabies or do the homestudy? Am I too late in the game to get it all in? 

I took the class, and we ended up hiring our teacher as our doula.  I actually started the classes at 29 weeks and thought that was pretty perfect timing for us.  Baby came at 39w 2d (unmedicated and intervention free)  I've heard good things about the homestudy . . .  Beyond the hypnosis, it has pretty detailed and in-depth education about childbirth, interventions, and allows you to make really informed decisions either way.  The most important thing is that you feel empowered and know that you are able to birth your baby the way that you want to.

Totally not trying to be rude here, but you could always think of it in terms of true cost . . . the cost of an epidural/intervention birth opposed to an intervention free birth, or an educated birth.  Our classes were right around $200 and I was hesitant at first.  My husband told me as we walked out of our first class that it was going to be perfect for us.  There are tools there for your birth partner to stay calm, relaxed and positive.  I LOVE the affirmations, and I've already started using them in this pregnancy.

• imageRusalkaSings:
    I just took a natural childbirth class, so we learned mostly breathing techniques, different positions, etc. and our labor partners learned how they could support us. I had the same sort of response about Hypnobabies... I just wasn't sure it was for me. I think preparing yourself mentally is a big step in itself!
    This almost exactly. Our natural birth class touched a little on all the methods without it being a method. Breathing, positions, partner assisted positions, focusing, etc. best of all, for me, was learning the different stages of labor and how they make you feel physically and emotionally. That helped me tremendously by knowing what is normal, etc.

I also thought the Hypno stuff and the "coached" aspect of Bradley weren't for my personality either. You gotta do what you think will work for you!
  • Our birth center has a class on natural childbirth and it includes lots of pain management techniques. Is there a class like this offered in your area? They give me enough options to pick one that works for us. We're talking about massage, guided imagery, and a variety of breathing and relaxation techniques. 
  • I'm 37 weeks pregnant and doing a waterbirth at home.

I panicked around 29/30 weeks with "omg, how will I handle the pain?!?" (and this is my 2nd baby, but my 1st birth was with an epi). I discovered hypnobabies at the encouragement of a friend who had also done a waterbirth at home and used hypnobabies. I thought it was strange at first, but the website has 2 free downloads so you can listen to them and get the general idea before spending more to get the homestudy. The free downloads were what convinced me, and also you can youtube hypnobabies birth and find some examples (which are pretty incredible!). The "relax me" free download is SO nice, I've NEVER been one to believe in hypnosis or relaxing tapes of ANY kind (I'm a go-go-go kind of person and figured they'd never work on me) but if I listen to it during "quiet time" with my 2 year old son, I get SO relaxed and it is SO nice! Overall I think the hypnobabies will at least help you just stay in your own head and in control, which is what I'm hoping for me. Also, my husband is really really good through the labor/delivery process and positive affirmations (which seem so simple, but REALLY work) are what helped me get to 9 cms with my son previously. I don't think I could do this without him. He stays calm and soothing the whole time, and whenever I was getting close to that "I can't do this" edge, he would just simply say "but you are! your doing it!" and I knew he was right.

Hope that helps a little, good luck! :)

• Hey we have the same due date. :) I was able to find several books on home and natural birth at the local library. There was like a "Natural Childbirth for Dummies" and a Hypnobirthing book with a CD too. And it was free! Maybe start there. :)
  • I didn't take any classes.

What I did, once the contractions were truly painful, was count.  I counted my breaths during the contraction.  I never counted higher than 20.  I told myself that I would never have to say (silently in my head) 21.

This meant as the contractions got longer and stronger, my breathing necessarily had to become slower and deeper.  I thought about the number and my breathing --- that is where my focus went.  It took away from thinking about the pain.

My labour/s were very nearly silent as I thought more and more about breathing and the number. 

But that's me.  When I am in pain or in distress, I focus inward.  So the people who were present (my mom the first time, my husband both times) were not surprised by this. 

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • The biggest thing for me was having my husband calm me down. We picked most of it up from a Bradley book. Every contraction he would stay very close to me and tell me to relax every muscle (and would specify ones that he noticed were really tense). He also helped me keep my breathing in check by breathing with me. Sometimes I would be sitting on the birthing ball, leaning back on him (sitting on a stool) and I'd match his breathing (unintentionally sometimes).

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"