January 2012 Moms
Options

question about BC & antibiotics

Are all hormonal BC methods affected by antibiotics?  I'm currently on the pill because it's the cheapest method that works for us.  However, I get sinus infections quite often after colds.  Being an elementary teacher, well, I get a lot of colds!  I'm so sick of worrying about my BC when I'm on antibiotics- especially since that's how we got DS :)  I'd like to try the patch or the NuvaRing, but are they also less effective when on antibiotics?

And I just realized, why is there no birth control board?? 

Anniversary

Re: question about BC & antibiotics

• Options
    I'm not 100% but I am pretty sure that abx decrease the effectiveness (affective?) of all bcs. I would use back up until you talk to your dr
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Have you thought about an IUD? Depending on your insurance it can be a very inexpensive birth control...I paid a 30 copay and it's good for 10 or 12 years don't remember which one. I was paying that per month for the pill.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMrsKM82:
    Have you thought about an IUD? Depending on your insurance it can be a very inexpensive birth control...I paid a 30 copay and it's good for 10 or 12 years don't remember which one. I was paying that per month for the pill.

I'm going to guess I won't get my insurance to pay much for that.  We pay everything out of pocket until we reach our $4000 deductible.  It's a crappy plan :/  Hence my dilemna.  All options I'd like are out of our price range. 

Anniversary

• Options

It depends on the abx and the bcp.  It is mostly oral birth control (so not patch, depo, or ring) that is affected and its mostly associated with rifampin, tetracyclines, and penicillins (amoxicillin). Of note: part of the reason that BC failure is associated with oral BC is due to the role that your GI flora play (so transdermal or other routes would bypass this) but also because there really are not a lot of studies available regarding other forms of hormonal contraception.

(Anecdotally, I've never had a problem with abx affecting my BCP, but every woman is different.)

• Options
    I was advised that all antibiotics could affect BC pills. I would call your OB just to be sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Not all antibiotics affect BCP. So depending on what needs to be treated there are options to get BCP safe antibiotics.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"