Natural Birth

Question about using breast pump to stimulate contractions...

My doctor suggested nipple stimulation today to help get labor started, but I don't have a breast pump yet.  Is it worth buying it now to have for this use?  My biggest concern is that I've been having very light leaking on occasion...if you use the breast pump to stimulate labor, are you wasting colostrum??  I'm afraid of using up valuable "liquid gold" that the baby will need once she's here.  Is this irrational of me?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about using breast pump to stimulate contractions...

• You should have plenty I colostrum. You could freeze it and save it for baby if you like.
  • I'm doing this too to try to get this girl out :)  I already had a pump but if your going to use one anyway, why not get it now?  Or could you rent or borrow one?

I did a lot of research about it.  My friend produced enough to freeze and save her colostrum for the week or so prior to her delivery, I just dribble a little.  Your milk wont actually "come in" or change concentration at all until the placenta is delivered, changing the hormones that effect breast milk.

Good luck! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You don't have to use a pump. You could have some fun with your partner and this will also work, or just stimulate them yourself. As pp said you won't be wasting it if you pump and you can save it. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The pump never worked to start labor for me.  Even when I was well overdue with #2.

The only time nipple stimulation ever did anything for my contractions was when I was already in labor and trying to get things to progress.  At that point it was extremely effective.

• You can't "use up" your colostrum. Your body will keep making it. It's the hormone changes post birth that changes your colostrum into milk, not the act of removing it. There will be plenty left for the baby :
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image+adamwife+:

The pump never worked to start labor for me.  Even when I was well overdue with #2.

The only time nipple stimulation ever did anything for my contractions was when I was already in labor and trying to get things to progress.  At that point it was extremely effective.

This, except I only used it when I was already in labor when my cntx started to lessen after pushing for a long time and I was tired.

• I appreciate the replies!  OB agreed that it won't likely start labor, just strengthen existing contractions.  I've been having some off and on, so that's good enough for me since I'm a few days late already!  I'll try anything :)  I was just concerned about wasting colostrum.  I thought I had read that you don't produce much, but maybe I misread and it just meant that you don't produce much at once (not that it won't replenish)...  Was just confused on that :) Thanks!
  • No, you don't "waste" colostrum--you'll continue producing colostrum until your milk comes in sometime after delivery of the placenta.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"